PDA

View Full Version : whitetail season in Ohio

mark s
10-03-2009, 08:47 AM
The bow season is open in Ohio. Yea!

Found out that where I hunt the limit this year is six deer! (only one buck) I can't eat six deer (two or three at the most). If I hunted in an urban deer zone the limit might be as high as 12!

I want to do my part, but there is only so much venison that one person can eat.

Wanderlustr
10-03-2009, 10:09 AM
It is good of you to step up! :)

In the Midwest they have a program through the food banks for extra meat from wild game. In certain areas over the counter tags for this cause a readily available too - and it goes to a good cause. I wish we had the deer population here to warrant that.

mark s
10-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Wanderlust,

Great idea about donation if I harvest three deer and still have the itch. Last time I checked they had a program that designated butchers would charge less to process deer for food banks. I think it was still about $50/deer. Unfortunately, many food banks don't accept self processed game (even though I can often have cuts of meat on ice within hours after the shot).

A friend bow hunts deer in the suburbs of Cleveland (in urban deer zone) and routinely takes 6-7 deer per year. All but one he donates. One of the few people around here that are doing anything about the explosion of urban deer and he pays to help out the less fortunate with the venison. Some of the suburbs hire sharpshooters to greatly thin the does (again meat is donated to food banks). You can imagine the uproar from the crazies.

Browtine
10-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Check out FHFH.

http://www.fhfh.org/Home.asp

mark s
10-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks Browtine for the link. I'll pass it on.