PDA

View Full Version : Well, there went my hunting season....

Uncle Jake
10-02-2009, 02:35 PM
.... by accepting a full time position in Anchorage, AK. Leave here on 10/21, start work 10/26.

So, I am trying to fill most of tags before I leave, hunting for whitetail does in a weapons restricted zone. Got my first one Wednesday night, 1 oz. slug to the head at 100 yds out of my very old Marlin Goose Gun. :D

evanhill
10-02-2009, 02:54 PM
You don't have time to hunt, you've gotta pack!

Congratulations, you're going to really like it up there, and get to drive the Alcan this fall to boot.

Smokepole
10-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Hey Jake, congrats +1. See you on the Russian next summer?

Whitepalm
10-03-2009, 12:47 AM
I couldnt imagine a better way to ruin a hunting season. Congrats and good luck

Uncle Jake
10-03-2009, 10:23 AM
All- thanks. Work has been really tough the last year, and I am looking forward to finally having full time work once again, at significantly higher wages and no state income tax! That, and it really is a great company, being the one I worked for a year ago while I was up in Anchorage for 3 months.

Smoke- most likely, yes. I am going up in a few weeks by myself, and then the family will follow when our house sells. I will most likely fly back to help do the move, and that would take priority over fishing :rolleyes:.

Whitepalm- I am moving to Anchorage, so maybe you know someone who could take me out for Steelhead ..... (hint, hint, hint).

And if anyone is looking to move to Manhattan, MT...... let me know!

Also, I have heard that the way to move up to AK is via shipping container, but I have no experience with that. Does anyone here know anything about how to look into that?

Whitepalm
10-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I have a friend making a move from Livingston right now and he is using part of a container. I'll ask who he's going through, sounded very reasonable.

Try www.upack.com I think you have to fill the container but you pay for the space you use.

He also tried www.uship.com but timing didnt work with the bidding haulers.

Uncle Jake
10-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks, Whitepalm!

sab
10-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I've used Upack twice (CT to WI and MN to TX), and it's a heck of a lot more convenient than U-haul, but one word of caution. They don't use air-ride trailers (they are normal freight trailers), and they must take the bumpiest routes they can find :D Make sure you pack your stuff really, really well, to include filling every nook and cranny in the trailer so that stuff can't shift. In both moves, we had stuff get damaged because we got lazy with our packing.

HTH,
Scott

brian88
10-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I couldnt imagine a better way to ruin a hunting season. Congrats and good luck

+1

that is a bummer i'm sure it will all work out there's always next year