PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming Antelope

Otoejet
10-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I'll be leaving tomorrow evening after our game to hunt does in area 48. I've never taken a poke at an antelope before, so wish me luck. By the way, anyone have a quick cure for the crud (not flu) that's going around. I know my grandpa would say, " A shot of whiskey'll cure it all." Well grandpa, that didn't work.

I know I'll have good tales to tell when I get back on Sunday...and hopefully a bit of meat in the cooler.

KurtB
10-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Try to stay hydrated. Should be a good hunt. I'm taking the kids out for buck hunts this weekend. They are pretty excited.

RKP
10-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Good luck on your pronghorn hunt. Always a lot of fun hunting them with their great eyesight and Wyoming's wide open spaces.

Jon S
10-01-2009, 08:50 PM
I try a quart of OJ for the first few hours of the day, makes the sleeping quarters smell quite a bit like Sawtooth has been around, but seems to keep the bugs out, guess the Vitamin C does something for us. I also drink 6-8 qts. of water daily, hoping the bugs don't come after me this year.
Good luck with an antelope, should be fun, fun, fun. Stop in and see Scoutin' Wyo for a good time as well.

CCH
10-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Good luck with the hunt. I'll take crud cures as well.

Kmassaro
10-01-2009, 09:17 PM
I was hunting north of Rawlins last weekend, and saw a ton of antelope. Got mine, and helped Laura's son and her dad, Dick, get two more. Great fun.

Bring your binos, and if you have one, a rangefinder. If you don't have one, reduce your yardage estimate by 25%, and hold on fur for your first shot. They aren't that big, and without vegetation to compare, you'll tend to overestimate range.

And they are fun to hunt. Better yet, delicious table fare.

Scoutin' Wyo
10-02-2009, 10:55 AM
If you drive through Cheyenne, drop me a line and I'll let you buy me a beer!:D

Good luck! Take leather gloves and knee pads for them damned prickly pear. Also, be on the look out for rattle-nakes while you belly crawl through the sage.

Brian

Scoutin' Wyo
10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Oh, almost forgot!!!

Take several coolers and fill them with ice in the town closest to your hunt area. Skin that doe as soon as you can, bone out the meat, and get them in the ice. That is the secret to having tasty steaks and burger when you get home. PLEASE don't let it set in your truck with the hide on while you search for your buds antelope, even if it is cold outside. IMHO getting the hide off ASAP is critical for good eats.

I'm eager to see your's & Evan's report when you get back.

Hey Kevin, were are the pics man??? I need to get mine up too.

Otoejet
10-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Would love to give you guys a report, but shortly after my last post the temperature moved up to about 102 and I had to back out. I know Evan and his brother filled their tags early saturday morning. I'll get into him to post up some pics.

colohunter303
10-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Well as Otoejet said my brother and i got some antelope and my dad got one this morning. my shot was 550yds and my brothers were 420yds and 440yds, i guess all that practice over the summer pated off. 3 for 3 isnt too bad i guess. I, in a haste to get the meat out of the field and get on to the next herd, neglected to take photos of my doe. i will post some of my bros and dads though as soon as i get the email from my dad.

brian88
10-04-2009, 12:44 PM
congrats i'm sure people would love too see some pics. i know what you mean about wanting to get the meat out and forgetting to take pics. i've done that myself before

hawkeye270
10-05-2009, 09:45 PM
I figured I'd get those pics of our hunt up since my bro is a deadbeat. Ha Packing out a whole doe antelope felt like packing out one bull hindquarter.

Scoutin' Wyo
10-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Nice work guys!!!! Man I though I was shooting long at 330 yards. 550 yards! Wow! Good shootin!

colohunter303
10-05-2009, 09:56 PM
thanks for getting those up bro. I wouldnt have been a deadbeat though if you actually emailed them to me like you were supposed to.

GlennGTR
10-05-2009, 10:30 PM
high doses of vitaming c and D. drink lots of water and get some generic claritan its expensive but will clear you out good so you may not even think your sick