PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ruck loading

Henry Hyde
09-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi,

I stumbled upon this video on Youtube titled Navy Seals Workout series - Stay Strong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcy6cRsXGvk

The person performing the ruck run advocates loading the ruck with the weight as high as possible.

In addition he does not appear to be using a waist belt.

Basically this goes against everything I've been taught and experienced since I got my first Saleva backpack with a waist belt in the 80s. I've always had the weight lower and close to my hips.

Just wanted to post this here incase I was missing something.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Henry

straps
09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Weight low with waist belt fastened is the ideal.

Some "cool schools" prohibit the use of the waist and sternum suspensions to speed up react to contact scenarios. Might be training for speed not smarts, might be that the the release mechanisms on the USGI gear issued to students won't stand up to repeated use over dozens of training evolutions. My preference is use of the suspension, with rehearsals involving release of kit.

Far as load distribution, ammo, commo, batts and other mission critical stuff tends to be heavy, and needs to be readily accessible. In a USGI Alice Ruck that means up top. Kifaru rucks are accessible via panel zip, side zips or bottom zips. However, you won't likely be carrying anything like a Kifaru until you've proven your ability with an improperly loaded, poorly configured green tick.

redstarcluster
09-30-2009, 01:36 PM
You want the weight to be as close to your center of gravity as possible. So put the weight in the main pouch, not in any of your outer pockets. Batteries for example are heavy, yet they fit in an outer pouch, but don't do that.

I think that having the weight high is a good idea. Just make sure that you have your shoulder straps carrying their portion of the weight or else you will put too much strain on your hips.

Henry Hyde
10-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Thank you for the prompt responses. Since I'm a civilian, I think I'll stick with my current mechanism of loading with the weight low and on the hips.

Cheers,
Henry

Cpl Punishment
10-03-2009, 04:45 AM
Most seem to advocate that the heaviest stuff goes between the shoulder blades, at that level.

KI really don't like to do that, and usually put my heaviest stuff in the bottom of the ruck. It's not a big pain to take out my sleeping roll and get the other stuff out. I also pack my ruck as a "bag of bags", so everything is quick to get to, well organized, and fits well in place.

My rationale for packing the weight low is for stability. I really want the pack's center of gravity to be as close to, or lower than, my body's center of gravity. Makes traversing uneven terrain and rocks much easier. It's one reason I really like belt kits, because verything is kept low.

kemp707
10-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Cpl P - what do you use to organize your stuff within the backpack? Have any pictures to share for ideas?

Cpl Punishment
10-04-2009, 08:02 AM
I use dry bags that you can get from REI, Wal*Mart, etc. I get the cheap ones and write on the outside what's in them.

jensenmk
10-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Speaking from a military standpont, all my stuff goes into 1 or 2 gallon ziplock freezer bags, regardless if carried in a ruck, dufflebag, or footlocker.

- T-shirt, socks and drawers go into 'shower' bags - easy to grab and dirty stuff goes back inside
- towel and washcloth - as above
- ACUs fit into 2 gallon bags

I also use smaller ziplocks to organize 550 cord, batteries, chapstick, etc; to keep like items together, organized and easier to find.

These items (and items that don't need to be waterproofed, are then packed into larger, purpose built bags:
- wet weather bags inside of rucks/duffles
- Kifaru pullouts (i.e. cleaning kit consisting of a shaving brush, toothbrush, rag, lubricant, and boresnake; inside a small marked pullout) I use contrasting colors on both the pullout itself and zipper pull, as well as a marker, to identify different pullout contents
- compression stuff sacks, based on the item (i.e. a non-waterproofed stuff sack for my poncho liner (until I get a Woobie:p) that both organizes and compresses it)

Waterlogged stuff adds weight = bad
Trying to find <insert item>, in the dark, in a bundle o'crap = bad
Easily finding dry, organized gear, regardless of enviroment = good