PDA

View Full Version : The gear is here. Finally understand the fuss over Kifaru....

KDOG
09-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Came back from running a short errand and what do I see on the step? A brown box of joy. I snatched it up took it inside and began drooling. I see what the fuss is about now. This stuff is built crazy tough. It feels like you could set a grenade off in these bags and they'd survive. Not that I want to try. Feels multi layered too. Is there a layer of something between the inside and outside? Needless to say, I'm impressed. I leave for my Gettysburg, PA camping trip next week so I can't wait to try it out.

steveb
09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Very nice Foliage kit. That Malice Claymore looks to be as 'must-have' as the E&E.

KDOG
09-29-2009, 12:45 PM
The E&E is just perfect. I see why it is so popular as an EDC. I think it has reached perfection in the G2 state. I hope they keep the design for a long while....

kemp707
09-29-2009, 12:54 PM
OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!

Now I have yet another thing to agonize over...... I was dead set on getting the Coyote Brown with some Multicam attachments...... now seeing the foiliage. ARRRRGGH!!!!!!

Good luck on your trip! Take pictures and share please!!

steveb
09-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Face it, eventually you will be compelled to get both Foliage and Coyote kit!

revelation2012
09-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Came back from running a short errand and what do I see on the step? A brown box of joy. I snatched it up took it inside and began drooling. I see what the fuss is about now. This stuff is built crazy tough. It feels like you could set a grenade off in these bags and they'd survive. Not that I want to try. Feels multi layered too. Is there a layer of something between the inside and outside? Needless to say, I'm impressed. I leave for my Gettysburg, PA camping trip next week so I can't wait to try it out.

Should be nice carrying your gear while retracing Pickett's Charge or Hood's advance climbing up Little Round Top.

25C
09-29-2009, 02:49 PM
It feels like you could set a grenade off in these bags and they'd survive.

That would be why we tend to refer to Kifaru stuff as being "bomb-proof"...:)

Cpl Punishment
10-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Foliage FTW!!!

Blackfoot
10-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Feels multi layered too. Is there a layer of something between the inside and outside?

Some pockets have two layers of cordura. The 1000D outside and a lesser, 500D-ish inside liner. Long pockets have an inside layer, GPS pouches don't. People use to make E&E packs out of the Back Pouch before they started selling them in that configuration. There is a padded pullout and a padded chamber, I believe that these only have one layer of cordura. I don't know of any pocket that has padding between the two layers. For your E&E you can cut a piece out of an old army sleeping pad and slip down in the slot pocket for more padding and comfort against your back.

The pockets are built this way to accommodate sharp items that you might pack in them with no extra padding. It's second nature to make sure nothing sharp rubs against the bag of the main pack, by using a stuff sack, clothes or some of the original packaging for whatever the item is. It was probably covered our first backpack trip. I think it has a lot to do with the way the pockets are designed. Sometimes we get in a habit of using a pocket as a stuff sack because it can Dock & Lock and compress fairly easy. The two layers of cordura make the overall system heavier but it takes a lot longer to wear out.

So far I've heard of buckles breaking by being caught in truck tailgates and fabric wearing around the end of stay because it was improperly loaded in a trailer for a long road trip. Haven't seen of one with a hole worn through it by use yet. I know some of these guys are trying though. :cool:

-Blackfoot

rhunter424
10-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Haven't seen of one with a hole worn through it by use yet.

The only time I can recall is a couple years ago and a guy did a review of his zulu after he used it in the jungle environment. IIRC, he didn't believe it was suited best for that in his experience but he managed to make a hole in the top collar. In all fairness though I can not remember if it was from a huge thorn or not (black palm or something?).