PDA

View Full Version : Malice, pals, D&L pics

falcon
09-27-2009, 09:45 PM
I thought there were some pics on the site somewhere showing how all these worked. I can't find them.

Want to know which system I would prefer to attatch pockets or pouches to an Express.

Ralph
09-27-2009, 10:27 PM
The MOLLE/PALS system uses parallel strips of webbing sewn onto the pack and the pocket. A tongue weaves in and out between the pocket and the pack (the pocket PALS is offset by one line from that of the pack).

The original MOLLE connecter had a plastic stiffener and was secured at the end by a snap. This connecter is sewn to the pocket at the top. I found the plastic stiffener and the knob of the snap made it difficult to weave the tongue and thought it was overbuilding. I designed a similar connecter using just a doubled webbing tongue and a velcro patch at the end that proved to be just as secure as the original but easier to use. There is no commercial maker to my knowledge but it is easy to sew if you like making your own gear.

The MALICE clip uses flexible plastic rather than webbing and is not sewn on. The clip is secured by snapping into an enlarged section at the bottom of the clip and requires a tool (screwdriver, bullet tip or similar) to release the lock. Personally, I find the MALICE clip a nuisance to release once installed.

Maxpedition recently introduced a free-standing (unsewn on) connecter using a doubled stip and a clever folded end that is currently IMO the best of the bunch.

Dock & Lock uses slotted side-release buckles at the end of the compression straps. The slotted end engages the PALS, while the compression strap is installed in the male section of the buckle. D&L allows very fast engagement/disengagement from the pack as well as compressing the pocket snugly against the pack.

Supply Captain sells ITW Annex Clips. These come in sewn-on or free-standing types. Both are single row/single column clips very fast to remove and need no tool.

Which is best? Like most things - it depends.

The various connecters work well when installing pockets that don't have to be removed frequently and don't need to be compressed and for small pockets that would not normally have compression straps. The Annex Clips are very nice for pockets that you either want to frequently remove or move around on the pack.

D&L works best when the pocket will be removed frequently (as in the E&E) or for larger pockets that you want to compress snugly against the pack to avoid flopping around.

I don't have any pictures of these ready to hand but could take some. Hope this helps you.

adi
09-28-2009, 02:50 AM
If you carry heavy or irregular shaped items in the external pockets, having MALICE clips helps minimize sagging & having to re-tension your D&L straps after taking out an item or due to slippage. But like Ralph said, it can be a pain to remove the module afterwards. Not much of a problem if you don't need to remove the pockets quickly or frequently.

noflushbandit
09-28-2009, 06:30 AM
Also, do you have a regular express or a MollEx. MollEx you can D+L amd use the malice clips. A regular Express can only use d+l because there's no pals webbing on it, just tabs for the sr buckles.
I think other wise these guys summed it up pretty well. Dock and lock makes everything compressible and quickly detachable. The malice clips make for a more solid connection but are by no means quick to release. I can't really say I prefer one over the other bc I think they both have a time and place, and I use both equally. Hope this helps a bit!