PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide between MMR/ZXR.

Countryboy
09-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I am looking for a 5000-5500ci pack, which leaves me in the MMR/ZXR range. Both are stated to be 5200ci. The only real difference I can see is weight(the mmr is heavier by a couple of pounds), and a removable frame. Yet the G1 MMR is 400ci bigger than the G1 ZXR, while both are the same size in the G2 configuration? And the weight on the G2 ZXR is unchanged, in spite of the addition of more padding and a snow collar? Can't find packbag dimensions on either pack, so I am curious. I don't care about the removable frame, but weight is important, as is capacity, and I am spoiled on the bottom access by my Pointman. So, are the stated weight and size specs on these packs accurate? Anybody who has one of either of these, feel like weighing in?

revelation2012
09-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I have a G1 ZXR. If I could do it all over again I would have done one with the removable frame. It just gives more flexability IMO for carrying pods and smaller pouches on the frame.

jungle_re
09-24-2009, 02:14 AM
I faced the same dilema when ordering my first Kif. A mate had the ZXR and i liked it but nobody i could find in the uK had an MMR to have a butchers at. I went with the mmr due to its verstility, ie can use the frame as a hauler, camp chair, better suspension. I dont regret it won bit and would happily say its the best Kif pack ive seen by far (ZXR, Zulu, Navigator, Pointman in this sort of size). You wont be disapointed, but get the xtl when you order; i didnt and have had to order one now at more cost as its cheaper if you order as a oner.

AndyL
09-24-2009, 05:29 AM
I thought they have the same suspension at least in the G2 version

not seen either pack though

spoolup
09-24-2009, 06:02 AM
I thought they have the same suspension at least in the G2 version

not seen either pack though

Correct...

ZXR, wrap tech
MMR/EMR duplex, same as above but removable frame. so the suspension "is" the same per say. I agree with Jungle.. the extra weight between the ZXR and MMR is the sheet material to allow for one to have added capabilites in removing the pack. If you can bear with a little more, I would recommend this route as well.

rhunter424
09-24-2009, 07:20 AM
Valid points everyone.

I own a G1 ZXR. Don't forget the other 'subtle' differences between the ZXR and MMR: pockets and access into the main compartment. I've definitely used the hell out of the slot pockets in my ZXR. Tent poles, stakes, axe, mallet, and sometimes even bladders go in there. I can't comment on the MMR since I don't own one but you don't get that option with the MMR's side zips or sleeping bag compartment.

Something else to note is that the ZXR's actual pack rides a little lower than the MMR, meaning the bottom of the pack is closer to the ground than an MMR pack. I believe this design is part of the reason the ZXR is 'prone friendly'. You can see what I'm talking about on the ZXR and MMR relative size comparison pictures on the site.

steveb
09-24-2009, 09:09 AM
I've owned the MMR and now have the ZXR. I'd say it depends on how plan to use it.
If you plan to use it for backpacking, ZXR. If you plan to use it for hunting, and will use the cargo frame capability, then MMR. I have found the ZXR to be more comfy, maybe because it is G2, and I like the slot pockets. It is also 2.5 lbs lighter, definitely noticeble unless carrying a heavy load. Another thing to consider is the PALS configuration..the MMR is a better platform for using a large number of pouches.

jungle_re
09-24-2009, 01:57 PM
When i had an x-ray i used the double thickness side to store things in but found them awkward sometime to retreve items. I always have D&L long pockets on the side of my MMR and there are plenty straps there 3 (IIRC) and the 2 channels on the back of thlong pocket just the job to hold my axe, saw and augers safely. Iv enot had a bergan which has different zipper on they have always been just top loaders adn now i wouldnt go back. The ability to get your sleeping system out and back in again with out emptying the pack is great. In real life comparison i wouldnt say the MMR rode higher than the ZXR (both G1 though) and they were a very comparable size. If your buying a bag of this size its a multiday bag you wont notice the extra weight as it neglible but your welcome the comfy seat and the fire wood carrier after a days walking. Beats sitting on the cold damp floor or if you carry a chair then thats the extra weight.

MMR with long pocket side mounted and XTL with a e&e, skinny minis and organiser dock and locked on the front. What more can you ask for :D

rhunter424
09-24-2009, 02:07 PM
MMR with long pocket side mounted and XTL with a e&e, skinny minis and organiser dock and locked on the front. What more can you ask for :D

An EMR....

jungle_re
09-25-2009, 05:34 AM
An EMR....

Be too big i wouldnt fill it unless i empty the pockets into the main pack then id lose all the modularity of my set up and lose the day sack carried.

Countryboy
09-25-2009, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. As for me, I am in the Ozarks of Missouri, and will be using the pack for multi-day hikes, and as a BOB. Only a fool will pack a deer on his back in these woods, as some folks tend to shoot at any patch of hair that moves. Wood is usually all around the campsite, as are logs or rocks to sit on. So the removable frame, while nice in some areas, even almost indispensable, is of little use to me for the purposes I have in mind. With these hills, however, every ounce counts, so a couple pounds really matters.

With all this in mind, I think I will be going with the ZXR, with the XTL lid. I already have long pockets and an E&E for the Pointman, so I can swap them onto the ZXR if I need to for some reason. Again, thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

steveb
09-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Country Boy, you will really like the G2 ZXR, and I recommend having both the standard lid and XTL for it. Use the STD lid when pack isn't that full and the XTL when it's stuffed to the gills. It's like having a multi-day and expedition pack in one, by using the different lids.