PDA

View Full Version : X-ray lumbar pad issue ???

padronanniversary
09-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi. I just received my new Gen 2 X-ray.

Like all Kifaru products, I must say wonderfully made.

Now after trying it on, I'm wondering what people think of the lumbar pad. It almost forces my back, like i'm sleeping with an overstuffed pillow that is too big. After just wearing the pack for a few minutes adjusting everything, my back still feels like I'm forcing it forward with the pack off now. Is this normal ? Any suggestions ???

Thanks in advance

Akilae
09-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Not sure about other people, but my own experiences have been that although initially it will feel bulky, the lumbar pad shines when you have a heavy load to compress it down.

padronanniversary
09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
I decided to slowly bend the stays until it felt more comfortable. I mean my back was so arched the first time, after 15 mins I still feel it. I did not realize that would have that much of an impact on my back. That being said, the pack still ROCKS ! lightyears beyond my other packs. I think it will require some more tweeking to get it to feel right.

How should a pack feel on you ?

After adjusting the stays, I do not feel it as much on on upper shoulder/back area. Is this correct ?

Pardner
09-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Don't have a G2 Xray but have the G1 Xray and the G2 Scout. The first thing I would check is if you have the pack too low. Fit the pack with the belt on. Kifarus sit higher than most (at least for me) and once dialed in, it should feel like it is sucking into the small of your back (even without a belt). Hope that helps.

cpti
09-22-2009, 09:15 PM
I decided to slowly bend the stays until it felt more comfortable. I mean my back was so arched the first time, after 15 mins I still feel it. I did not realize that would have that much of an impact on my back. That being said, the pack still ROCKS ! lightyears beyond my other packs. I think it will require some more tweeking to get it to feel right.

After adjusting the stays, I do not feel it as much on on upper shoulder/back area. Is this correct ?

Almost all of the weight should be carried on the hips with the shoulder straps providing stability and support.

Akilae
09-22-2009, 10:14 PM

Just out of curiosity, which way are you bending them? More bent or less bent?

padronanniversary
09-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Less bent. Feeling better. gotta try it out . after about 2 hours and 6 beers, my back is feeling much better ;)

BuckarooMedic
09-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Kifarus are meant to ride on your hips and close in to your back. The shoulder straps are there, especially on the smaller packs, to stabilize the way it rides. Not support the weight of the pack. Depending on what type of pack you're used too, there can be a big "adjustment period". Definitely bend the stays to fit the curvature of your back. I did, and it helped tremendously. Remove the stays from the pack and have someone bend them against your back while you're standing up, then reinsert them into the pack and it should feel great.

Read MilitaryMoron's excellent web page on how to adjust the straps on a Kifaru. I like it because he has a lot of pictures ;) The adjustment is pretty much the same for all their packs. There's a "sticky" with a link to his site at the beginning of this forum.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

noflushbandit
09-23-2009, 07:42 AM
I can say there definitely is a difference between my G1 X-Ray lumbar pad and my G2 MollEx lumbar pad with the G2 being "bulkier". It seems like it would be rather large, but when I loaded it up for the 9 miles I did over the weekend, it compressed down and rode like a dream. It does seem to compress under weight and with the pack lock, it stays right where it needs to. I havent had any problems with it forcing too much of a curve into my back, but it sounds like you have a more shallow(?) than average curvature to your back. It sounds like a little bending of the stays should help you out. Have you had a G1 Kifaru? If so, did you have to bend those stays as well?

Elmo
12-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Now after trying it on, I'm wondering what people think of the lumbar pad. It almost forces my back, like i'm sleeping with an overstuffed pillow that is too big. After just wearing the pack for a few minutes adjusting everything, my back still feels like I'm forcing it forward with the pack off now. Is this normal ? Any suggestions ???

I agree with you. same problem with the Express. If there are adjustment instructions I could not find them.

The pack is great but unless I can cure the lumbar pad fit problem it will be of very limited use.

Mel
12-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Hey Elmo, you need to give me a call so I can get you squared away on the fit, as that pack should be very comfortable. When you call me, have the pack in front of you, so I can walk you through the fit process. I'll need to talk to you though to figure out the problem. You can reach me toll-free at (866-308-1911), which is a direct line to my home out here in California. Feel free to call day or night.

Mel