PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for packs for smaller guys?

KDOG
09-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Ok, I'm 5'5" 140 ish lbs, (ok maybe 150) and I've been looking at the Expresses' and the X-ray, even the Marauder. I have an E&E w/optional shoulder straps and malice claymore on the way (should be here ANY time now - drool). If I wanted to go with a larger capacity pack, how big would be too big for a guy my size? I'm of average fitness.... I like both the Express and Molle Express but I don't want to go too big cuz it may not fit properly. Any suggestions?

Akilae
09-21-2009, 08:57 PM
KDOG: Check out my comparison thread: http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=18846

FYI, I'm 5'6", 155 pounds.

Prowannabe
09-25-2009, 09:44 AM
My daughter has Dora the Explorer pack I could loan you. J/K, couldn't resist..ok that was my smarta** comment for the year. Molle Express should be good for you, if not you shouldn't have any problem selling it and getting an Xray.

Mel
09-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey KDOG, you should be able to use any of our packs up to and including our EMR, no problem. In the photo below, I'm wearing an EMR loaded to over a 100lbs, and I'm a 5'6" old man:).

Mel

Bullfrog
09-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi KDOG - what do you want to use this larger pack for? Bigger day pack? 2+ day camping trips? Air travel?

Since you have your EDC needs covered, I'd shy away from the xray as there may be some overlap - I had a G2 xray but went for the mollex instead as my E&E did what I needed my xray to do 90% of the time...

Mollex is a great bag - perfect for everything from day hiking, overnighter and I was even able to do 3 nights summer camping with the addition of 2x longpockets + my E&E with 2qt pocket :rolleyes:

I'd say go larger than mollex though if you are looking to fill your overnight camping niche - like a lot have said, its better to have a bigger bag that can be synched down then have to always be attaching pockets... you save yourself some $$ as well as the pockets add up fast :D

kemp707
09-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Hey KDOG, you should be able to use any of our packs up to and including our EMR, no problem. In the photo below, I'm wearing an EMR loaded to over a 100lbs, and I'm a 5'6" old man:).

Mel

Mel, what chest system were you using in this photo? Im in the market for a good mag carrier that will fit with the shoulder system for either an EMR/MMR/AG1 or a Navigator..... still havent figured out which system to go for!! :)

If I could get the AG1 bag with molle attachments on the top and it was attached to the MMR frame (wont be carrying body armor) I think I would have a winner. :D

Or would the AG1 system be more comfortable with the extra padding when not using the armor? Hmmmm....

mk~

KDOG
09-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Mel is the man. AR15/M-4? I am partial to the Mollex as far as a larger bag, but I'm looking HARD at the Navigator....

Chucker
09-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Kemp707: It's an Eagle "CP .308". They also offer a CP .223.

straps
09-28-2009, 05:08 PM
+1 on the X-Ray as a good solution if you run on the small side.

Underappreciated pack at that; was considering selling it...

...until I went on the road (on a trip that I knew would involve three legs on those commuter jets that connect the hubs to Podunk). Emptied the Mini-Longs on the sides (threw the contents in a checked bag), lightened the load in the Organizer on the face, cinched the compression straps (which I had misplaced months earlier) and made it past the wary eye of the stew who runs the cart that everyone after passenger #10 on has to put their roller bag on. X-Ray carried a laptop, DVD player, folio folder, disks, iGo, Bose Noise Cancelling headphones, TAD Merino. Front access saved the day.

Was considering a black MOLLEx for discrete travel; might re-think that...

Far as the "need" for audiovisual distractions while flying: reading puts me to sleep (eastbound, I wake up feeling like crap, then can't sleep when I get to my destination). Jet noise drives me to drink (ever flown intercontinental on a C-130?). A DVD Player or iPhone is like a time warp, without the exorbitant VoD charges.

On the subject of Chest Rigs, OSOE (PALS Micro-Rig, through Tactical Response Gear), Tactical Tailor (Mini-MAV) and SORD Australia (MFF; Military Free Fall Rig) all make 8 PALS column rigs that work well under shoulder straps. I prefer all-PALS, allowing me to tailor the configuration to the task at hand, though mag rigs adapt fine for GPS/sunblock/water bottle combos appropriate for those of us who DON'T camp like Mel ;)

Rich9644
09-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Don't listen to Mel. He's got the heart and strength of a 20 year old. Ask him about his work outs sometime.

I'm a slim fella myself (5'8, 155 lbs, size 31 waist). I own a Marauder, and a MMR. Just make sure when your order to get the right sized belt, and your good to go. Done a few overnight backpacking trips and had no problems at all.

HTH
-Rich

bmstrong
09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Mollex = Molle Express?

Ralph
09-29-2009, 02:54 PM
"Mollex = Molle Express?"

Yes