PDA

View Full Version : Most versatile mid-sized Kifaru pack

steveb
09-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Poll to determine favorite '3 Day' design. By 3-Day, I mean from 1 to 3 days..compact enough for day/assault use, but enough room with pockets for 3+ days away from support...capacity between 2000 and 3500 Ci 'clean'. Load from 30 to 50 pounds and 20km on foot per day. Also has to be 'vehicle friendly'. Pick only one, (KIFARU tactical packs only). If you select 'other', please indicate which one and why.

cpti
09-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Other.

Omni Yoke. First, not sure that qualifies as a pack, per se, second, I haven't received mine yet to build it.

As far as versatility goes, it can go from a beltless, slick hydration carrier, to loaded up with pods/pockets enough to last for a long time.

ETA: As per your requirements, it is about as vehicle friendly as you can get. You can completely break it down with pods/pockets fitting anywhere you have excess space in the vehicle. Put it together quickly with D&L whenever you get where you're going, with whatever components you need for the particular mission.

One thing I've always disliked about packs that I expect the yoke to solve: Floppy outer loads. With a conventional pack, if I don't have a solidly loaded main compartment, I end up having floppy external pouches. Since I can D&L whatever I want directly to the frame sheet on the yoke, everything is nice and tight to my body, regardless of how much or how little I want to carry. Good example would be if I wanted to move hard, fast, and light. I'd throw a bladder inside the yoke, a back pouch or E&E with essentials down low, and long pocket across the top with another bladder for more water. Staying overnight, I can easily add more long pockets or a Pod with additional gear.

steveb
09-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Interesting choice, didn't think of that option.

Pardner
09-21-2009, 09:53 PM
To me, this is no contest. Pointman all the way -- especially when looking at the most demanding requirement: a pack that can handle 3+ days without support. The Pointman compresses very well, weighs a little over an Xray (adding a padded belt), yet can carry heavier weights more comfortably than the Omni packs. It's no EDC but if the hike calls for more than an overnight and unsupported out in the woods, I'm grabbing my Pointman.

Woods Walker
09-21-2009, 10:02 PM
I voted Zulu as the new suspension system seems to match my Pointman on many levels. Like the Pointman but always had a soft spot for top loaders with a snow collar. Sometimes I want to dump in more gear than the Pointman can take without a POD.

ahisa
09-22-2009, 01:05 PM
I think in order to answer that question you really need to look at what you need the "3 Day Assault Pack" for. Originially it was designed to be worn with with your LBE and weopon, and allow you to carry just your bare neccesaities to be able to fight and "survive" for 3 days.From field experiences its almost impossible to carry those essentials and enough MRE's for 3 days.
But if thats what you want to to do, I'd recommend the Zulu G2, its a no nonsense, tough dependable pack that can easily carry 3 days worth of no frills neccesities for a comfortable 3 day trip.
If you are after an versatile EDC type of pack that can be used for travel, long hikes, and quick and light overnighters, than the Marauder with auxillary pouches would be my choice.
That being said, I think the Zulu is really too large to be worn as an EDC, and the Marauder is too small if it is to be used for recreational 3 day backpacking trips.

steveb
09-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I haven't voted yet, as I'm trying to make up my mind between the Zulu and Pointman. The Zulu has better volume control but Pointman is a little easier to access (like a big Express). With G2 improvements, the suspension/ride is not as different as it was.

If it was the most versatile DAY+ pack category I was looking at, I'd go MollExpress, with the Marauder a close second.

steveb
09-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Bump to top, for more responses.

ppfd
09-27-2009, 05:36 PM
I voted Zulu, as I want one! But, you all got me thinking?

cpti
09-27-2009, 06:55 PM
After I get my omni yoke squared away, I think I'm going to get a Zulu too. Maybe a Navigator. Maybe both?

steveb
09-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Cpti, what are some of your favorite Omni-Yoke configurations? Any pics?

Mel
09-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey guys, the most versatile mid-sized Kifaru pack can ONLY be decided on a personal level. Everyone has their own idea of what the most versatile is, but it is based on their own needs and requirements. By needs and requirements, I mean what exactly do they want to carry in the pack, how much weight will this be, what features are they looking for in a pack, what area of operations will they be using it in, what type of climate and weather will they be using it in, will it be used mostly for day hikes or 3 day ventures, will it be used more in a vehicle than on the back, is this for military or civilian use, etc..... These are only some of the questions that need to be answered when trying to choose your version of the most versatile mid-sized Kifaru pack, and as you see from above, it really is an individual choice, and not so much what others may like.

Steveb, the suspension/ ride on the G2 Pointman is much different than it was. It now has a thicker dual density foam lumbar pad with Packlock, thicker torso pads, and a 22" frame. These new combined features do make a difference, trust me.

Mel

steveb
09-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the input Mel. I miss my old Pointman, as I don't have a '3 Day' (45L to 60L) sized pack now. The G2 PM sure sounds comfortable, as the old one was good as it was. BTW, on the hunting side of the house, a poll I posted is showing the hunting version of the Pointman, the Late Season, to be a favorite.

revelation2012
09-29-2009, 02:20 PM
After I get my omni yoke squared away, I think I'm going to get a Zulu too. Maybe a Navigator. Maybe both?

When you get your omniyoke all figured out do a review with various configuations. Of course with pics.