PDA

View Full Version : Scout vs X-Ray

steveb
09-20-2009, 12:27 PM
For folks who have used both, which pack rides more like 'a part of you' (snug, more conformal, less sway, bounce, etc) during climbing or bush-whacking?

Deciding which smaller pack will be right for shorter adventures (have Express already).

I will probably run either with 2x mini-longs and organizer.

(The mini-longs are very versatile pockets. I use them on all of my packs. Because they use 3 rows of pals, they are more stable than the litre pouch for water bottle carriage. Also easy to operate the zip on the move, and they don't 'overwhelm' the Omni-sized packs like the larger ones do.)

Thanks, Steve

25C
09-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Hands down, the X-ray is what you're after. I have both but am thinking of selling my Scout. It is compact but just doesn't ride stabilly on me, even with the padded omni belt. I tried adjusting the stays also, but it doesn't help.

I think the X-ray is more comfortable to me, anyway.

mountaintrek
09-20-2009, 01:45 PM
I went from the Xray to the Scout (hunting version). Find it to ride better than the Xray given my size (6' 180). Smaller carrying capacity but if that is not an issue than I would recommend the Scout especially given that you already have the Express. ( My favorite pack )

Pardner
09-20-2009, 04:07 PM
My opinion is that the Express and Xray are so similar that I would not own both.

If I always needed to use two mini longs and an org and fill those all the time, I would have not bought a Scout and just use my Xray.

As far as fit and stability, after spending a lot of time fitting on both packs, I would say both fit and ride about the same. In fact I've gotten so used to the Kifaru stays/belt system that anything else feels awkward. Get the one that best suits your capacity needs without added pouches.

The Xray compresses better because of the horizontal straps, plus with the longer stays and more substantial strap pads, I would say wins by a hair in comfort under load. Panel loader also means quicker access. The weight and bulk compared to the scout is not insignificant, it could be too much pack if you don't need its capacity.

The Scout wins in the unobtrusive category because it is smaller, lighter and the thinner straps tend to go unnoticed when wearing the belt -- it also gives better ventilation and since you are carrying less, that much better for bushwacking. However it is a small pack with smaller capacity and the top opening could be bigger for people like me with big hands -- also the zipper access is inconvenient sometimes -- I was thinking it would be quicker and more convenient with a flaring roll-top with stiffeners and buckles.

Good luck on your decision.

revelation2012
09-20-2009, 09:00 PM
For me if moving fast in the bush and it being snug to the body, I would also have ot say the scout. If actually being on the move and being light definately the scout. I used mine for EDC for a while and did not like it for that because the lenght on the shoulder straps got hung up on everything. But for carrying stuff with me while bird hunting or moving fast on a rugged day hike I would definately use my scout. If it was something I was constantly getting in and out of no.

Stayangry
09-21-2009, 03:47 AM
Just back from a trip to NY where I wore the Scout almost every day, albeit without a particularly heavy load - just camera, water, guidebooks and so on.

Found it excellent in the urban envrionment - small enough to use the subway without inconveniencing others, comfortable in hot sticky weather and very - very - stable.

Coyote brown fabric did not get a second glance from anyone.