PDA

View Full Version : Scout W/ X-Ray Straps

charlierecon
09-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Im looking at getting a EDC/ Day Pack. Being I have kids, a Tailgunner seems as if it might be too small, but a Scout might fill the need. My question, Can a Scout be outfitted w/ the X-ray straps? I undestand the Scout is primarily a lumbar back but I don't want to take up too much real estate on my back, i.e. going to a theme park or zoo. I also understand that bringing a pack like this higher on the back, might sacrifice the use of a an Omni Belt, True or False? I would appreciate any and all info. Great community BTW.

Akilae
09-19-2009, 04:55 PM
I've never touched a TG or Scout, but from what I remember seeing on the forum, in the past other people have asked similar questions, and the general consensus seems to be: Buy an X-Ray.

redstarcluster
09-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm using a Tailgunner as my man purse, and really want to get a Scout now. The Tailgunner is perfect for what it was designed for, but I'd like to get another lumbar pack that can carry a little bit more. So basically a bigger Tailgunner that can hold a water bladder.

I use the Tailgunner with me everywhere, and use it to fish all the time, but I want the Scout so I can also use it as an overnight bag. I think the shoulder straps will be just fine even with a load, if you also have an Omni Belt.

ppfd
09-19-2009, 06:15 PM
I think I asked Mel if xray straps can be had on a Scout and he said no. It's been a while though.

That said, get an xray! Perfect, perfect pack! Smaller than it looks and sounds after I got mine. So I would say a Scout may be too small for a family pack. To carry 1 or 2 peoples stuff probably.

Pardner has both and I'm sure he will give us the scoop.

rhunter424
09-19-2009, 08:34 PM
The scout uses 1" ladderlocs to attach the shoulder straps and the xray straps are 2" thick. I'd say no, they won't work.

Bringing the scout higher up on the back will not allow you to use the omni-belt properly. I gotta ask though...why even bother with x-ray straps? Just cinch up the original scout straps.

Depending on how much family you're packing for, a day trip can easily fill up an express.

Pardner
09-19-2009, 09:33 PM
It's doable and may actually be less comfortable but all you need is a couple of strips of 1" straps about 15" each.

First, get the separate 1" straps and loop it onto the appropriate buckles (note that the buckles on the Xray straps that are made for 2" straps).

Second, the Scout sits lower on your back and the current "X" configuration of the Scout straps provide better support by keeping it closer to your body curvature and keeps the bag more stable. However, since the Xray straps are made for parralel config, attaching it to an "X" config may put pressure points on the shoulders. Keeping the straps parralel may lead to the pack tipping a little backwards and to not conform to your back (when worn without a belt)

For me, the current configuration on the Scout works for as much weight as I can fit in the scout and pockets and I primarily use it without a belt. Why the need to carry up high? Just wear it where you would with a belt to take advantage of the support provided by the stays. If you are going to use it high, take the stays out (since they are meant for the lumbar shape) and like rhunter says, just cinch the straps.

Athame
09-19-2009, 09:48 PM
You can push a bannana through a key hole but it just won't be the same afterwards.
I asked Patrick about an H harness for the Scout at SHOT 08 and he said, No way.
Of course that doesn't mean it cant be done. I wear my scout a lot in the winter,
without the omni belt, higher on my back. Per my own personal opinion, an H harness
would be better but it would require kifaru to devolope a totally new harness just for
the Scout.

charlierecon
09-20-2009, 11:11 AM
WOW...Folks, Thanks so much for the feedback. This really contributes to the decision I'm going to make. Again, any and all continuing feedback is appreciated!

BuckarooMedic
09-21-2009, 07:51 AM
C-recon,

You don't really need bigger, thicker shoulder straps with a Scout. It's a lumbar pack. Get an unpadded, Omni belt to go with it and you'll be GTG. I don't actually have a Scout, but I do have an old Mountainsmith Day pack (basically the same pack). I wore it for years without any shoulder straps carrying day hike type loads. Then MS came out with the shoulder "Strapettes" for it. These straps are exactly the same as the shoulder straps that come with the Scout now. They are really just to "stabilize" the load on your torso. All the weight is carried on your hips. If you're going to carry more than 10-15 pounds, or large, bulky loads, get an actual back pack.

My next, and hopefully last (yea, right ;) ), Kifaru pack will be a Scout with an unpadded Omni belt. My old MS Day pack is finally "giving up the ghost" after about 15 years of use and abuse. Just gotta convince HH-6 that I "need" another Kifaru. A Scout will "round-out" my Kifaru collection very nicely.

Take care,

Chucker
09-21-2009, 10:05 AM
How old are your kids (ie: how much stuff do you need to pack for them)? Mine are still relatively small so they need a lot of 'long-term sustainment' items. Personally, I couldn't get away with anything smaller than my X-Ray. For me the X-Ray is faster to throw on and get going (I don't run a waistbelt). With a Scout, I would feel obliged to do up the waistbelt, all the deltas, and the shoulder straps. Those seconds count when you have kids.

If you are dead set on the Scout, BuckarooMedic is spot on. A standard Scout out of the box (with waistbelt and Scout shoulder straps) can handle about 20 - 25 lbs in relative comfort. It would be hard to get a load that heavy unless it's all water or something. The standard Scout shoulder straps can handle that no problem.