PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats

one-eyed Bob
09-14-2009, 05:27 PM
I have been hearing crying sounds from the woods at night, and there are no teenagers around. The local paper confirmed that we have quite a few bobcats which make such a noise and that they run 17 to 30 pounds. One nurse in surgery brought in a photo of a bobcat killed on the road in front of her rural home and it was at least 50 pounds to look at it, perhaps more. They are protected, but a large one could be a worisome preditor. They are mostly nocturnal.

Plodder
09-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Bob

Are you sure that it wasn't a Lynx

Differences do exist.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=400 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER>http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/bobcat-vs-lynx-3.jpg
</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/bobcat-vs-lynx-4.jpg
</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

When I worked a summer in the bush in Northern Canada I was passenger in a truck with a narly old Frenchman who saw a Lynx on the road and just about killed us trying to hit it. When I asked him why he stated that they are the most feared animal in the bush. You never see them, they drop down out of the tree on your head. They make a sharp yell scratching at your face and then they run off leaving you bleeding in the bush trying to make your way back out.

Since then I have had a great respect for them

Plodder

Huntsman22
09-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Yep, I agree with plodder. Since Colorado re-introduced lynx, our frenchmen population has plummeted. The gnarly old ones were were the first to leave. They knew......The ones that stayed, soon evacuated after getting all the reports from the other frenchies that got screamed at, and had their faces ripped off. Just shows to go ya why I live out in the prairie where there are no trees. Nothin' worse than having a mad lynx drop on your head as you go strolling,unsuspecting-like, under their domicile............

Otoejet
09-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Don,
I just spit coffee all over the computer screen. From my point-of-view, I'd take a bobcat, lynx or anything else that would help me decimate the suburban bunny population left from the handiwork of my bow.

FlatbowMB
09-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Bob

When I asked him why he stated that they are the most feared animal in the bush. You never see them, they drop down out of the tree on your head. They make a sharp yell scratching at your face and then they run off leaving you bleeding in the bush trying to make your way back out.

Since then I have had a great respect for them

Plodder

I have heard of wolverines doing that sort of thing, haven't heard that about lynx before. Will have to search & see what reports are out there.

CCH
09-15-2009, 08:44 AM
If you have a lynx in Indiana, I'm pretty sure that would be a first. I don't think they ever lived there. A fifty pound bobcat would be huge by the way. Even Huntsman22 would think twice about chasing a cat that weighs as much as him and I know he's taken his share of short-tails. ;)

Ed C
09-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Yep, I agree with plodder. Since Colorado re-introduced lynx, our frenchmen population has plummeted. The gnarly old ones were were the first to leave. They knew......The ones that stayed, soon evacuated after getting all the reports from the other frenchies that got screamed at, and had their faces ripped off. Just shows to go ya why I live out in the prairie where there are no trees. Nothin' worse than having a mad lynx drop on your head as you go strolling,unsuspecting-like, under their domicile............

:D:D:D:D I'll have to check our French population. I know Wa. state had a lynx fraud, I think the biologist were French! Funny stuff:D:D

one-eyed Bob
09-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Do you have an internet lynx for that?

Ed C
09-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Do you have an internet lynx for that?

yup

The Washington Times' Hair-Raising Tall Tale: Lynx fur "hoax ... (http://www.fair.org/extra/0205/lynxgate.html)

The Washington Times and the Fake Lynx Fur Story (http://lynxfur.50megs.com/)

NRA-ILA :: House Resource Committee Probes Contaminated Lynx Study (http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=315)

scothill
09-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Even Huntsman22 would think twice about chasing a cat that weighs as much as him and I know he's taken his share of short-tails. ;)

Dang Huntsman22 has really bulked up then since the rondee this spring. :D

Huntsman22
09-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Yep, now I'm built like burlap-bag-fulla-bobcats.

evanhill
09-15-2009, 03:06 PM
let me guess... you've got it TOgether?

Huntsman22
09-15-2009, 09:37 PM
No, two-gether........

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/critters/BobCat.jpg

Scoutin' Wyo
09-15-2009, 09:53 PM
No, two-gether........

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/critters/BobCat.jpg

Look at that young punk!

Otoejet
09-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Heck, that hat makes him at least 6'6"...

Steelworker
09-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Bob, be careful at night with your little dog, as it can be taken before you know it. My cousin lived out in the country in southern Illinois and had bobcats around and screaming like you describe. She came home one night to find their dachshund scattered all over the place. It apparently stood its ground. Not a wise decision.

If it's killing your pets, I think you are legally in your right to kill it. Check with the local DNR folks. Legal or not, I wouldn't let it kill one of my pets if I had any chance to stop it. A surefire light and Lightweight Commander with Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. JHP's (std pressure only - don't use the +P load) might be a good idea when taking the dog out at night.

elmbow
09-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Don't let the 10X fool ya, bobcats, smobcats, those are the neighbors pesky Calicos that kept raiding the garbage bins.

CCH
09-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Yup, that is a five pound young 'un on the right and a ten pound adult on the left. Some pruning shears and you've got trophy "bobcats". :D

Huntsman22
09-16-2009, 08:24 AM
I didn't come here to recieve all this cruelty<grin> 'specially from a bunch of oversized slugs.......Not all of us grew up where food was cheap........

elmbow
09-16-2009, 10:22 AM
You know how those poor Japanese womens' feet stay so tiny from being wrapped up? Well it's just awful. I think what happens is the extra weight of those ten gallon beaver hats seems to have the same effect on some folks' vertical dimensions. I haven't got the science of it all figured out yet, but I'm working on it.
I noticed the leg irons on those hairballs. I used to like making the local dumpster cats bow'n arrow targets, but that was before they had cameras.

singleshot
09-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Remember how Huntsman 22 made fun of all the vegetables in my elk dinner picture?

Huntsman22
09-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Bill, you didn't get to be your size eating rabbit food. Or else esplain why rabbits are little guys........I think you had plenty of meat growing up......

Jim N
09-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Recently, there has been a rash of new-unfired rifles found laying under trees in the local woods. It all kinda makes sense.

Otoejet
09-16-2009, 12:02 PM
I love a good French rifle joke!!

evanhill
09-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Don't be so quick to knock the French. They've always been there when they needed us most!

one-eyed Bob
09-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Steelworker: I used to have that trouble with coyotes. They would entice my small dog to enter the woods at dusk. The two larger dogs would look at each other as if saying "O, sh--, we have to save him" and dash into the woods after the barking dog. There would be an awful commotion and the dogs would return with bloody ears. They seemed to be smiling. If that happened with the Yorkie, she would be toast, however. Thanks for the advice. ibob

David in OR
09-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Don't be so quick to knock the French. They've always been there when they needed us most!

This is funny. I like the French, but it has been a while, and a couple world wars, since Ben Franklin was over there...

FlatbowMB
09-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Give France some credit. With all of the various European countries that have flags that consist of 3 stripes of 3 different colours, France was considerate enough to make theirs somewhat distinctive.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d147/alphawolf_/french-flag.jpg

evanhill
09-17-2009, 08:05 AM
I thought the whole France as surrender monkey thing was overblown until I bought my first military type rifle. A couple of weeks later I got a form letter in the mail from the government of France -- it was a letter of unconditional surrender citing "recognition of superior military capability and resolve" or something to that effect.

Kevin B
09-17-2009, 08:16 AM
You too Evan? Huh. I got mine after buying a leatherman.