PDA

View Full Version : Anchorage, Alaska Kifaru "Rendezvous"

Athame
09-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Let's do it! I got stuff to share. I'm sure you do!
Just sending this out as a sort of feeler to see if we can pull it off!

Cheers,

Bill

Jason
09-14-2009, 03:22 PM
As someone who's stuck living "outside," I fully support an AK Rondy---------just so I have more photos to drool over. ;)

Athame
09-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Jason, I'm gonna to keep this alive until we get some bodies shoot and some photos to upload of load outs in the Great Land!

I know there's people up here with Kifaru Gear. And I wanna see a para t-pee!

Cheers,

Bill

KDOG
09-19-2009, 03:38 PM
I would LOVE to visit Alaska. When would it be? Next summer? I hear Alaska is just gorgeous in the spring/summer. Maybe I'll have to make this an excuse to finally venture past the Mississippi!

Athame
09-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Per when it would be KDOG, I have no idea. I was just thinking of a meet and greet
to share gear and have some beers or coffee or something. A REAL Rondy sounds
awesome and I'm sure some people would try to make it.

If people were into something like that I'd have say FALL would be the best.
Bear, Deer, Birds and Fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Para T-Ps would be sweet! I do almost everthing solo so I run either a Todd Tex tripod bivy
or a Sola in Tegral Tex.

KDOG
09-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Alaska is ultimate man-country too. Hmmmm, this idea sounds better and better. C'mon people. Think we could make this happen? BTW, hows the weather up there in like April/May? Where in Alaska are you?

Athame
09-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm in Anchorage. South-Central, Alaska. April/May is a real nice time of year.
Still cold but warming up in April. Thaw is begining in April and usually over mid May.
The mountains are a different story. Great time of year to see bears coming out of
their den. Some fishing, not too much.

Athame
09-20-2009, 11:54 PM
What about it Mel. Remember we've got Elmendorf AFB, Fort Richardson, Kulis ANG, Alaska ANG, APD and the State Troopers RIGHT HERE IN ANCHORAGE! Not to mention, all the avid outdoors men and women.

mb
09-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Mid-Winter

That's when Alaska should be the most interesting.

Say a Prayer for King Bore, ask for Cold, and put your fancy kit - and yourself - to the test, in the Wilderness :)

And, no, I won't come. Too far, too expensive, too little time, too old... :( ?. I'll have to settle with some sissy place in Lappland, or Karelia, as usual.

Mel
09-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Hey Athame, I'm sure if you wanted to host an Alaskan rondy, you could find enough guys to make it happen. You seem to be alluding to two different scenarios though. One is the typical rondy, where it's a meet and greet to share gear and have some beers and such, and the other sounds like a demo or show with the gear. We've done the show thing in Anchorage before, where we had all the tipis set up, and all the gear on display. The experience was not what we expected, with a dismal showing overall, especially with the military guys, and this with all those bases nearby. It was a major effort on our part, where we had to pack all of the gear in shipping containers, and have it shipped to Anchorage, along with airfares and lodging. As far as any military/tactical showing, we are contemplating on doing a demo in the Ft Bragg area sometime next year. With all this said, I hope you can get an Alaskan rondy put together.

Mel

KDOG
09-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Well we could do a little of both! We could do it as a get-together for the survival/camping/preparedness crowd with BBQ/beer and Kifaru could come but it doesn't have to be a big show type visit - just bring whatever or just yourselves. It doesn't have to be strictly a Kifaru demo type event, we could make it about outdoor life/survival in general. You know keep it casual. It may even be an excuse for a "getaway" with the missus some of us have. We could take over a campground or park if needed. Location would be important though, I know if I flew all the way out there I'd want to stay out in some drop-dead gorgeous country near some mountains. But the point being....

Maybe if the OP is interested we could put it on other survival/preparedness type forums like EDCF and drum up some more visitors. Theres' a couple of guys there that I know that would LOVE to come. We could make this a really cool rondy if we wanted....C'mon lets go for it!