PDA

View Full Version : Longhunter Questions

okelleyz
09-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Fellow Longhunters-

1. I recently received my G2 Longhunter Guide and I also bought a 'grab it'. I struggling with how to attach the 'hood' to the frame with the 'grab it' also on the frame.

2. I am also looking for some advice on a 'altenative' method of packing a rifle with this pack. (I have an Eberlestock pack now with the built in scabbord, so the gun bearer does not feel quite right). I am wanting a way to pack the rifle when I am trying to get from point A to point B.

3. I am wanting to purchase a couple of pockets to attach to the frame that I can carry my Swarovski 80mm spotting scope, please advise on the size of long pocket I should consider.

4. I loaded the pack up last night (45lbs) and went for a couple of miles in the mountains and noticed a littel discomfort around the lower (large pad). Any advice on fixing this?

Thanks for the help.

Zac

Randy
09-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Just play with the gun-bearer until you get the way you like it. It seems a little strange at first to have the barrel in your peripheral vision, but it soon 'disappears'.

Bushcraft and I did a little trip 2 weeks ago, both using gun bearers. On our trip out we were 18 miles total for the day and 1/2 of that in the dark. Having our rifles close to hand in bear country and still able to use our walking sticks was a huge advantage. No reason the gun bearer will not work splendidly for going from point A to B.

Patrick
09-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Okelleyz,

1) Attach the upper Grab-It three-bar-sliders into the triangle-shaped buckle, not the rectangular "common loop", which is dedicated to affixing the lower edge of the Top Pocket. Capish?

2) Randy is right, everyone winds up loving the GunBearer.

3) Anyone else have advice here?

4) Pay attention to getting a really good "wrap" of the waistbelt (stay away from tightening the Delta Straps till you get the fundamentals established), and TIGHT belt. These factors will eliminate any tendency of the pack to slip downward, and ensure all weight will reside on your hip girdle.

okelleyz
09-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Thank You. I will go work on getting the hood attached now and work with the gun bearer.

Thanks again. By the way, I bought an 8-man and the stove, best thing since sliced bread.

Zac

sab
09-13-2009, 04:15 PM
3) I have an STS 80 spotter, and none of the Kifaru pockets fit it assembled (Patrick - there's definitely a market for a spotter pocket). I just strap it to the side of my MMR using the lower two compression straps. To protect it, I use a scopecoat cover.

4) If you have a flat rear-end, you may have to remove the stays and straighten the lower bend. The best way to figure it out is to remove the stays and have someone hold it up to your back to see how it matches your own curves. When I did this, my problem was obvious - the bottom of the stay was an inch-and-a-half from my rear end! Once I straightened that curve, the comfort was night and day better. Before you remove the stay, you have to get a vertical reference so you know at which height to hold the stay. I used the stitch line in the middle of the wastebelt and my hips as the reference.

I hope that helps.

Scott

okelleyz
09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
I was afraid that the pockets would not quite fit the spotting scope. I usually backpack hunt to a site and camp for at least 1-2 days, so I take the bag off of the frame and go as light as possible from there. I wouuld like to attach a pocket to the frame to hold the scope. I also have questions about attaching 'compression straps' to the webbing for a couple of compression straps. (I will use these in conjuntion with the 'grag it'). I messed with the gun bearer for several hours today and am very satisfied with the performance. After I got it adjusted it correctly, it worked great.

I will pull out the stays this week to check for the proper alignment.