PDA

View Full Version : Mtn Flyrod

Bulldog
09-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Guys it's been years since I fly fished. But I still got it all including a whole chitt load of flys I tied.

I packing into the high country and would love to throw some flys. It's washingtons high country.

What size rod and line and flys are you favorite high country fish catchin machines.

Pics of flys would help alot!

Hurry please I leave saturday.. :)

Thanks

Smokepole
09-09-2009, 06:12 AM
bulldog, do you know what kind of fishing you'll be doing (dries vs. nymphs and lead vs. stripping woolly buggers) and what kinds of water you'll be fishing (large streams vs. small brushy streams vs. lakes)?

When I fish lakes or large streams and might be using anything up to big buggers, I like a 9-ft. 5-weight.

For fishing dries on lakes and larger streams, a 4-wt., also 9-ft. For small brushy streams I like a shorter rod (7 1/2-8 ft.) in a 3 or 4 wt., the exception being if you're going to be dapping dry flies instead of casting a lot, then a 9-ft. is fine.

Randy
09-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I use a 9' 5wt for lakes and streams. I do have an 8' for small streams in a 4wt.

We found earlier that the bigger fish were feeding on freshwater shrimp down deep...so some lead and scuds in a dull orange/pink pattern starting producing for us.

On a recent trip on the St. Joe in Idaho the fish were rolling/rising to very small (18-22) knats and mosquitos. Seems they liked olive and green patterns as small as you can deal with.

Like Smokepole mentioned, you need to know the water and the fish you are hunting. A wide selection of flies is often needed to find the choice your fish like. Good luck and have fun!

Bulldog
09-09-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm so fukin pissed. Looks like someone stole my eletric motor, chainsaw and my flyrod. Looks like i won't be fishin this weekend.

Smokepole
09-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Sorry to hear that. You can get some good deals on rods this time of year though, all of this year's models that weren't sold are usually on sale about now to clear inventory, it's worth a call to the local store.