PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Marauder

revelation2012
09-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I have a G2 E&E and am getting into the panel loader configuration. Is seems to fit for me right now at least for EDC. I currently have a G1 Mollex and thought I might prefere a panel loader in that size. Would I be making a mistake sawpping a Mollex for a Marauder? I don't need both packs but thought the panel might be noice on this size of pack. Any of you who had both or used both chime in on it being a mistake or a good swap in a 2300-2500 ci size pack?

steveb
09-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Me also. But I don't want to part with the MEX, it's a perfect design for a day in the sticks. The main advantages of a panel loader like the Marauder is easier access, organization, and ability to pack it like a suitcase. It is a great design for the 'semi-civilized' world. IMO, if you could have only one, it boils down to use:

Backcountry hiking, scrambling, climbing, skiing, etc = MollExpress

General travel, vehicle assisted camping, day at the range, etc = Marauder

It sure would be great to have both.

rhunter424
09-09-2009, 07:48 AM
I've owned an G1 Express and a G1 Marauder at the same time. I sold both for a G1 Mollex. The purpose of the packs was anywhere from day trips to overnighters.

The Express didn't have enough organization for me. The marauder had a few strikes against it in my book. I wasn't too hot on the panel loading idea at the time. The stays weren't long enough for me. There were just too many buckles to undo to access the main compartment (The G2 version fixed this now).

I believe the Mollex hits a sweet spot. You get plenty of organization while maintaining a (relatively speaking) large space for gear.

BuckarooMedic
09-09-2009, 07:59 AM
I've used my Marauder for everything from an aid bag to EDC to a travel bag. I still use it almost daily when I mtn bike and for day hikes. I'm planning on using it as an aid bag in the future again.

I think it really boils down to what you want to carry. I love my Marauder and don't think there is a finer 3-day pack out there. Mine is the "original" version that is smaller than the current version and has the attached Omni belt. The only issue I've had with it over the past six years is that the main zipper failed on me last year. Of course, Kifaru replaced the zipper for me for free. I find that I can "over-stuff" a top loader much easier than my Marauder though. This might make up for the loss of the 200 cubic inches from Marauder to MEX.

If you're looking for a true EDC bag; get the Marauder for all the reasons SteveB cited. But, I really believe that one can utilize the Marauder for the same things that SteveB cited for the MEX.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on!

mrbill
09-09-2009, 08:28 AM
If you have a long torso the Marauder never "feel" right (the short stays do make a difference). I have a long torso so I went with the express. I use mine for day trips to Disneyland to geology field hikes. Never have traveled with it on a plane though, but will in the very near future.

revelation2012
09-09-2009, 08:47 AM
If you have a long torso the Marauder never "feel" right (the short stays do make a difference). I have a long torso so I went with the express. I use mine for day trips to Disneyland to geology field hikes. Never have traveled with it on a plane though, but will in the very near future.

I do have a longer torso in proportion to my body.

straps
09-09-2009, 10:55 AM
As an owner of both who refuses to part with either I may not be helping, except to outline the advantages of one over the other so here goes:

With a couple Pods (Large on the bottom, Medium on top), a couple Long Pockets and a Claymore or equiv. the Marauder can be made into a pretty high-capacity pack. I like the PALS in the Marauder and the ease of access a panel loader offers. I liked the upper straps because they presented load lashing options (since repaced with Pod mounts--I may have my G1 Marauder modded) but yeah, I guess undoing 6 straps to get into the pack is a bit much. As said, that's been fixed. I used a Marauder (fairly stripped down--EMDOM 3" Wide Load a few other low profile pouches) for EDC (among urban sheeple types) but it attracted attention so I jumped on the MOLLEx when it came out.

I went with a MOLLEx (G1) for EDC-ish type stuff (laptop computer, folio, weekly planner, tech manual or novel in main compartment, gym gear in a Pod, incidentals in an Organizer) which forced me to be smarter about my load (and better about filing), and my back & shoulders thanked me immediately.

For an overnight-capable pack, I prefer the Marauder because of its capacity, access and modular organization of small incidentals. I still use it when traveling because it carries my office on my back, with room to spare for food, a small toiletry kit and a change of clothes. Can't really say that about MOLLEx. You could do it, but it would be hard to get to all of it without doing some unpacking, which I dislike doing in rural OR urban settings.

Not sure about the stay lengths, I thought the MOLLEx and the Marauder were pretty similar.

gdw042
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
"Backcountry hiking, scrambling, climbing, skiing, etc = MollExpress

General travel, vehicle assisted camping, day at the range, etc = Marauder"

Big plus one to this.

I have used my Marauder for day hikes and it's fine, but I am going to get a G2 Express at some point to take over in that role, leaving the Maruader as a travel pack. I do not think that a top loader like the Express would work as well as a travel pack. Will it work? Sure. But the panel loading feature makes a huge difference.

Regarding the straps. I have a web dominator on each of the side compression straps, located in the center of the panel. When I know I'm going to be getting into the pack often, I just lash the straps up in the dominators and don't use them. I also have them on the top straps, but I usually just leave them loose.

When I'm going to be doing "hard traveling" with the pack, like in an MRAP or helo, I do up all the straps and snug them down.

I love the way I can organize the Marauder inside how I want it. It will probably become my sniper pack when I get back as well. I think that it will excel in that role.

So, like everything in life, it depends on what you are going to use it for.

revelation2012
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
As an owner of both who refuses to part with either I may not be helping, except to outline the advantages of one over the other so here goes:

With a couple Pods (Large on the bottom, Medium on top), a couple Long Pockets and a Claymore or equiv. the Marauder can be made into a pretty high-capacity pack. I like the PALS in the Marauder and the ease of access a panel loader offers. I liked the upper straps because they presented load lashing options (since repaced with Pod mounts--I may have my G1 Marauder modded) but yeah, I guess undoing 6 straps to get into the pack is a bit much. As said, that's been fixed. I used a Marauder (fairly stripped down--EMDOM 3" Wide Load a few other low profile pouches) for EDC (among urban sheeple types) but it attracted attention so I jumped on the MOLLEx when it came out.

I went with a MOLLEx (G1) for EDC-ish type stuff (laptop computer, folio, weekly planner, tech manual or novel in main compartment, gym gear in a Pod, incidentals in an Organizer) which forced me to be smarter about my load (and better about filing), and my back & shoulders thanked me immediately.

For an overnight-capable pack, I prefer the Marauder because of its capacity, access and modular organization of small incidentals. I still use it when traveling because it carries my office on my back, with room to spare for food, a small toiletry kit and a change of clothes. Can't really say that about MOLLEx. You could do it, but it would be hard to get to all of it without doing some unpacking, which I dislike doing in rural OR urban settings.

Not sure about the stay lengths, I thought the MOLLEx and the Marauder were pretty similar.

I think the Mollex is about 2 inches taller length. I find myself getting in and out of the pack a bit and that is the issue with the top loader. I am a little worried about the panel zipper failing.

jadias
09-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I am a little worried about the panel zipper failing.
It shouldn't. I've over-stuffed my MOLLE Express to the point where civvie packs would probably blow out and the top zipper has held just fine so far.

Also, if it does blow out, you have 6 compression straps to hold it all together... :)

Pardner
09-09-2009, 01:06 PM
If you travel a lot by planes and trains, there is no finer travel pack than the Marauder with it's full access panel opening for security checks/ease of packing and unpacking/organization, plus the shorter pack is more useful for the tight overheads on planes and trains (I also feel it is easier to blend in with a shorter profile pack in urban areas).

On the down side, the Marauder has almost exclusively fallen into the travel niche for me which is not necessarily a bad thing because it is invaluable when I use it and of course we want everything perfect when we're out on our vacation and such. I find that it is too big, bulky and inconvenient with all the straps for EDC -- I use a Scout or Xray (note that the top/bottom access plus lack of internal molle would be a downside for the Mollex for EDC). I find that I prefer longer packs for overnight+ trips in the woods so that's a plus for the mollex (I use a Pointman). If you do a lot of skiing or SAR work especially behind a K9, you may find the thinner profile of the Mollex to be better although when you get there, you can't beat the Marauder's access and organization for use as an Aid pack.

So from my point of view, if I already had a bag for EDC (Scout, xray or E&E), and my primary use is not for overnight+ trips in the woods or skiing, I would choose the Marauder over the Mollex. Although if I had more money, I'd buy both.

revelation2012
09-09-2009, 03:50 PM
So from my point of view, if I already had a bag for EDC (Scout, xray or E&E), and my primary use is not for overnight+ trips in the woods or skiing, I would choose the Marauder over the Mollex. Although if I had more money, I'd buy both.

Actually that is my delima is it will be used equaly for both. I am leaning toward it though as I hate to unpack to get to a single item but I do really like this other pack - the mollex. On the other hand the wife will not be happy if I try to sneak another pack in the back door. :)

Pardner
09-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Actually that is my delima is it will be used equaly for both. I am leaning toward it though as I hate to unpack to get to a single item but I do really like this other pack - the mollex. On the other hand the wife will not be happy if I try to sneak another pack in the back door. :)

Well, put it this way. I can get a top loading skinny ski-type pack anywhere for cheap. It's tougher to get a pack with the inside/outside molle and as modular and as load bearing as a Marauder -- to me it is a must have for any pack quiver. If I could only do one and already have an EDC, I'll take the Marauder but that is just me and yes it is a totally biased opinion.

BTW, Marauder/Xray pics are up on the other thread.

gdw042
09-09-2009, 11:02 PM
"I am a little worried about the panel zipper failing."

Don't be.

I have had mine so stuffed that I have had to kneel on it and use the compression straps to pull the zipper halves together and it still did just fine. Mine has also been tossed to the ground so loaded with no ill effect.

If you are going to get a single pack to do EDC and Travel and Hiking, I would go with the Marauder. It will do all of those things just fine. It may not be optimal for some, but it will be OK at them all. With a few pockets and a pod or two, it can expand or contract as needed for whatever role you need it to fill at the moment. (Mine is currently wearing 2 long pockets and a Eagle admin pouch.

Here is a pic of me on a day hike with my kids with my Marauder:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9682/hpim1065n.jpg

If you look close, you can see how I have the compression straps up in the Web Dominators like I talked about earlier.

And if you look at the pic on the Kifaru website under "tactical home" that's me with my Maruader, the 2 longs and an E&E. So the pack will do many things well. :-)

GDW

BuckarooMedic
09-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Here's a reply, and some of my miscellaneous thoughts, to a forum member re: the Marauder v. the X-Ray:

Like I've stated; I feel that the Marauder is the best 3-day pack available today. I love mine. I used it in the Army originally as an aid bag and then it evolved into my military EDC. It became my traveling office/3-day ruck. Personally, I don't think the X-Ray would be big enough for my needs. IMHO, I really think that Kifaru got caught-up in the moment with that pack. It's too specific and not nearly modular enough for me. I think that if you want the organization capability of the X-Ray, get a Kifaru Organizer pouch for the Marauder. What's another $65 when you're dropping over $400 for a quality pack?

I currently own the Marauder, a Zulu, an MMR and a large assortment of Kifaru pouches and accessories. My original Kifaru packs were the Marauder and a Navigator. I never really liked the Navigator that much and actually traded it to a buddy for his Zulu. The Zulu became, and still is, my "go to" field pack. I think that top loaders are the best for large, field packs. I was always afraid the Navigator's zipper would fail if I over-stuffed it, so I never really packed it too heavy.

I would definitely get the Marauder all over again. I would also make sure to get an unpadded, PALS Omni belt to go with it. I just about always use the Omni belt when wearing the pack. If you're worried about looking "like a freak in an urban setting" I would recommend either black or maybe foliage green colors. Both are way more "civilian" than the other colors offered. I know a lot of people swear by coyote brown, but that color screams military and/or gov't contractor to me. Way more conspicuous in my book. Definitely stay away from the military colors (OD) and camo if you're worried about standing out in the civilian world. One thing that I've often though about would be to add a MountainSmith pouch to the front of a black or FG Marauder. Might actually "pass" as a civilian pack to the casual observer.

I think it would be cool if Kifaru offered a "slick" version of the Marauder. No PALS on the outside, but the same on the inside. This would be seriously more "low viz" and would be very handy for quick access to gear on the inside, especially with the center release compressions straps on the new models, for "emergency" situations.

Hope this helps ya'll out.