PDA

View Full Version : Marauder for EDC

steveb
09-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I know the Marauder excells as a travel pack, but I want to know if it can be compact(ed) enough for a reasonable 'Urban' pack. I'm not concerned with the height of the Marauder, just the bulk. The X-Ray has the capacity I'm looking for, but the Marauder has the design I want. I already have the Express. Marauder/X-Ray owners, please chime-in. Thanks, Steve.

DavidLewis
09-08-2009, 07:38 PM
I have a Gen 1, & I've cinched it down around the contents from the 1200 ci pack it replaced (and which it swallowed whole), and was amazed that it carried even better in the Marauder than the CamelBack HAWG.

If the rectangular dimensions of the Marauder will work for you, then I think you'll be able to thin it down to (comparatively) next to nothing without difficulty for EDC.

YMMV

David

Pardner
09-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I know the Marauder excells as a travel pack, but I want to know if it can be compact(ed) enough for a reasonable 'Urban' pack.

Steve, I own both and yes, with all the compression straps, the Maruader can be compacted for a reasonable urban pack. In fact keeping the contents low and compressing the top portion gives it a Mollex-ish shape. I usually have it full so when I tested it out with an xray load, it was quite amusing (I know, I know... pack nerd). However those straps that are so useful for compression is a pain for quick and often EDC access.

Akilae
09-09-2009, 01:59 PM
I know the Marauder excells as a travel pack, but I want to know if it can be compact(ed) enough for a reasonable 'Urban' pack. I'm not concerned with the height of the Marauder, just the bulk. The X-Ray has the capacity I'm looking for, but the Marauder has the design I want. I already have the Express. Marauder/X-Ray owners, please chime-in. Thanks, Steve.

It sounds like you want an E&E. It's basically a mini-Marauder, and with two skinny minis, you're at X-Ray capacity of 1800 cu-in.

steveb
09-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Akilae, I have the E&E. The 1000ci rating is highly optimistic (stuffed to the bursting point and ball shaped), more like 700 realistically. The skinny-minis are not even close to 400ci each, more like 150ci in reality. So with that setup, I'd get only 1000 ci (16L) total, and no belt/ suspension. That is a good setup for 'light and fast EDC or an 'under the seat sack' though. I need something more substantial, the ideal capacity between 20L and 40L clean. The X-Ray is right in the middle of the EDC envelope (for me), so I may have to give it a shot. Just thought that Marauder, being a rectangular panel loader, might compress nicer than other packs of similar capacity.

square peg
09-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I have the marauder/xray combo and find the xray fills the roll of EDC for me. The marauder is just too big. Like you said, great travel/range/highly organizable, but for me, EDC shouldn't mean a 25lb load. and why would I use a pack that is always cinched down. That said, the mar. is more comfortable than the xray. Lighter load makes it ok though. I had an xpress and gave that to my dad because it just didn't have the organization capability. And it was too big for EDC. Great day hiker/1niter though. The xray is the perfect edc imo. You can cram it plus get to contents at multiple levels of the pack. I have a TAD Gear OP1 organizer/possibles pouch on the front access which I have been really happy with. The interior pals rocks. Not too much, just right. Easy to access and the way it is shaped stuff generally doesnt fall out no matter how it is sitting. Someday I will get a Mollex, but for now I can't justify another pack. Between the marauder, xray, E & E and a ZXR I am pretty well covered.

Josh

Akilae
09-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Well, for the time I had the XRay it was almost an ideal urban EDC bag for me. The bag is ideally sized and has lots of organization. However I say almost ideal for me because I found that my loads tended to either stretch the XRay to the point I needed two mini-longs (I teach, so imagine lugging a day's worth of books and papers, laptop, food, umbrella if it rains, 32 oz. Nalgene, and a light jacket cause our building has an aggressive A/C), or leave it largely empty. When I overfilled the XRay, the pack also became more unwieldy. On top of that, I found I never used the panel access. With an organizer and some other small pouches up front, undoing the buckles and prying the panel open was something of a burden. I upgraded to a mollex and found the loads to carry better without needing long pockets. I also have an E&E on order for my smaller loads. I am somewhat dismayed to hear that the E&E isn't a true 1000 cu-in capacity, my purchase was hinged on the fact that it still had a respectable capacity...

Not to take sales way from Kifaru... but the Mystery Ranch 3DAP does combine the features of a top and panel loader, comes in at 2000 cu-in, and it's got decent internal organization. The bag also has more civvie roots, so as an urban pack it would fit in. Plus it's cheaper than the XRay :p The only downside I think is that it's a tad heavier than the XRay.

Pardner
09-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Pics may help. Maybe not. Third pack is a G2 Scout. Xray is 3/4 full and not compressed, Marauder with belt/stash-it is about 3/4 full and compressed -- could go more compressed. If I was going to use it mostly for travel and hiking, I'll go with the Marauder. If I was going to use it mostly for EDC, I'll go with the Xray. To me, the Marauder is too big for EDC, Xray too small for anything more than a day pack (unless it is in a pinch -- have used Xray for unplanned 3 days and use the Marauder when I have to carry bulkier heavier stuff to work).

Note on the third pic, the bottom right part of Marauder is the belt and stash-it -- I just did not want people to mistake that as part of the depth of the pack. Follow the seam from the top along the buckles to see the outline of the back panel.

medic103
09-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Great pics. What color is that Marauder? Coyote Brown? I'm so close to ordering one, but I'm on the fence between CB and Foliage. My X-Ray is MC and I love it, but I decided I want something a little more subtle.

Thanks
David

Pardner
09-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Coyote brown, It's one of the later G1 that have the darker brown with matching dark CB webbing (earlier ones came with lighter webbing).

mtnkid
09-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Great pics, thanks!

What pouches are on the front of your Scout?

Pardner
09-09-2009, 10:48 PM
What pouches are on the front of your Scout?

The Kifaru organizer is my favorite for the E&E, Xray, etc. but for the Scout with the vertical compression straps, the smaller Tad Gear OP1 fits much better. Over it is a Tad Gear BC8 (carries 2 batuca battery cases).

steveb
09-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Well, thanks for the pics, Pardner! I've decided to go ahead with the Marauder. Realistically, in towns I will just use the E&E or Maxpedition...don't reallly need a sophisticated load-bearing system in this environ, and 10 to 20 L is all I'll need here. The Marauder seems to be a more versatile platform for general travel, camping, and hosting an E&E. And it is really not much bigger than the X-Ray, unless well stuffed.

ppfd
09-10-2009, 01:45 PM
I received a G1 X Ray recently. WOW! This bag is darn near perfect!! So far it's my work bag, as I work 24 hour shifts. I'm on the hunt for an overnight to a few days pack now. For me though any of the bags in the Kifaru line are too big for my EDC needs. I'd say a Scout would be as close as I need. I presently use a Timbuk 2 "Metro" when my needs push my pockets too far.

Pardner,
I have a question, I was near set on a Scout until I picked up the X Ray. What is you general use for the Scout and X Ray? I'm still trying to figure if buying a Scout would not be redundant with have the X Ray, seeing how it is a little larger.

Pardner
09-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Pardner,
I have a question, I was near set on a Scout until I picked up the X Ray. What is you general use for the Scout and X Ray? I'm still trying to figure if buying a Scout would not be redundant with have the X Ray, seeing how it is a little larger.

Xray was my primary EDC when work meant local/day car travel to urban, rural and industrial locations. Had to carry a few more tools and gadgets and the panel opening with pals meant all the organization I need, the belt and pods addressed the load bearing that I may need, yet the Xray is still svelte enough to get around machinery and tuck away when in meetings.

My current assignment is urban office desk jockey and my G2 Scout is better for my lighter loadout. Add a couple of Eagle 1-Qt Canteen pouches and it's now my 3 season/ day hiking daypack. I am now also using it for what many people use their E&E for (piggy back to Marauder/Pointman, murse, safety blanket).

Overlap? Heck yeah. EDC went from 95% Xray to 75% G2Scout and 20% Xray. I now generally use the xray when I need the extra space or organization/panel access.

So does this mean I'm getting rid of my Xray? Heck no. Just like the Marauder, the Xray fits a niche that no other pack has done for me. Given a choice of only one between the Scout, Xray and Marauder: I would pick the Xray. Given a choice of only two between the Scout, Xray and Marauder: I'll take the Marauder and......... hmmmm.................... ummmmm........ hmmmmmm..........

Marchog
09-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Just my recent Marauder experience:

Just come back from a brief holiday in Italy with my wife. All city/town travelling, no hiking or difficult terrain.

I took the G1 Marauder and a Maxpedition Jumbo as EDCs. Did the full tour of Siena with the Jumbo on a blazing hot day - performed fine but did leave me with a pretty achey shoulder (it was stuffed out with everything my wife could possibly stuff in it with me serving as pack mule!).

Travelled on to Florence, another full day out and I realised we needed more capacity for carrying water. I was a little worried that the Marauder would be overkill, but in actuality it was spot on - swallowed all our bits and pieces (maps, phrasebook, food, 1.5 litre water bottle etc...). Worn with the belt it was a vastly more comfortable carry, cinched up to a very small size - certainly no-one gave it a second glance.

Best of all, the series of compression straps (tidied up with web dominators) confused the hell out of any potential pickpockets. Florence is swarming with beggars and Roma gypsies - a good number of our group felt the odd tug on their packs as wandering fingers searched for anything steal-able - without any external pouches, I think the Marauder presented itself as a cordura fortress.

Cordura Fortress - quite like that! If that gets used as the name for the next line of Kifaru packs is there any chance of a G2 Marauder paid as royalties ;)

Many thanks to all at Kifaru - I really enjoy using these packs.

tradja
09-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Great story, Marchog, and as one noob to another: Welcome to the forums!

Ah, the Roma "odd tug". I remember it well. Also, the beefy 1000D Cordura and layer of stiff PALS armor should slow down the razor technique, where all your stuff spills out like a pinata and gets swarmed by the kids.

Marchog
09-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the welcome tradja.

I've been lurking on the boards for an age - thought I'd keep a low profile until I had something to contribute. Hopefully the Marauder will be getting a bit more travel in the near future.

gdw042
09-11-2009, 11:48 PM
"Cordura fortress"

Dude. That's funny.

I was in Rome, Sienna, and Florence earlier this year and looking back, I wish I had taken my Maruader. As it was, my wife used her purse and was freaked out the entire time about getting picked. I just put stuff into my pockets and glared and everyone who got close to me. Seemed to work...

I think...

Now, where's my camera again?

GDW

Akilae
09-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm actually curious how 1000D Cordura + webbing fares against the common pickpocket's slashing technique. Most slashings seem to assume: 1) The fabric is soft enough to slash easily and 2) All contents easily spill out upon slashing. The way Kifaru users organize things with pouches and organizers in the larger packs, and almost always tethered to the main pack, slashing doesn't sound like it would work as well.

Bullfrog
09-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm actually curious how 1000D Cordura + webbing fares against the common pickpocket's slashing technique. Most slashings seem to assume: 1) The fabric is soft enough to slash easily and 2) All contents easily spill out upon slashing. The way Kifaru users organize things with pouches and organizers in the larger packs, and almost always tethered to the main pack, slashing doesn't sound like it would work as well.

Honestly, I dont think a pickpocket would risk going after a bag like a Kifaru when they have such easy pickins with the average tourister purse/backpack/messenger bag. I have to assume they case most victims, size up the task and dont just choose at random - why make it hard on ones self? :)

Also, a Kifaru pack to most who take the time to observe does scream military or LEO, in most cases, and I think a professional thief is smart enough to avoid that like the plague.

But for arguments sake, I dont think a pickpocket would get though two layers of cordura and webbing too easily without drawing attention or being noticed...

Reminds me of a story - my father in law is a wise ass - when visiting paris he kept an empty "decoy" wallet sticking out of his back pocket just to see what would happen - nothing did :rolleyes: