PDA

View Full Version : First elk hunt

fn
09-07-2009, 10:32 PM
My son and I are planning our first elk hunting trip to the Wyoming Snowy Range. We will be setting up a wall tent with wood stove. I have read several sources suggesting using the stove for both cooking and heating the tent. Normally I would not cook in a tent to avoid bears and other critters. Have the bruins bedded down for the winter by mid October, or should the usual bear precautions be observed?

Any wisdom, words of encouragement, suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Smokepole
09-08-2009, 06:46 AM
I don't know exactly when they go to their dens, but I wouldn't worry too much about them if you're car-camping in an area that gets hunted. They're normally not a problem at trailhead/car camping areas where hunting is allowed--only where it's not and they get habituated, like in a National Park. Or in the backcountry. Most guys with wall tents cook in the tent and count on all the human activity to keep them away.

elmbow
09-08-2009, 08:05 AM
I generally have a separate cooking/social tent and sleeping quarters under other canvas but have also done it all under one roof in black bear country for many years, no problems. you'll be fine, just sleep with one eye open and a hand on your Casull.

scothill
09-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I think it all depends on what you are cooking and how clean you keep things. Evan and I cook on his woodstove all the time, but we make sure we don't leave grease or food stuff spattered all over the stove. I can tell you from experience that bacon grease and lard spattered all over your wood stove is not a good idea, and if I had contact information for some old crew members I would let you talk to them about why it is important to have a clean camp (insert smiling devil here). So in my experience including having bears around if you keep it clean then it is not a huge deal. However, if you you are a slob or cooking messy meals do it elsewhere. However, if you are car camping no reason not to have a seperate cooking area with coleman two burner. I have found that the backend of a truck makes a great pantry/chuckwagon area.

Scoutin' Wyo
09-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I think it all depends on what you are cooking and how clean you keep things. Evan and I cook on his woodstove all the time, but we make sure we don't leave grease or food stuff spattered all over the stove. I can tell you from experience that bacon grease and lard spattered all over your wood stove is not a good idea, and if I had contact information for some old crew members I would let you talk to them about why it is important to have a clean camp (insert smiling devil here). So in my experience including having bears around if you keep it clean then it is not a huge deal. However, if you you are a slob or cooking messy meals do it elsewhere. However, if you are car camping no reason not to have a seperate cooking area with coleman two burner. I have found that the backend of a truck makes a great pantry/chuckwagon area.

X2.

I hunt the snowies every year for elk and deer and have yet to have an unpleasant encounter with a bear. Follow Scott's advise and you will be fine.

Good luck and share plenty of pictures.:)

fn
09-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks all-we're really excited about the trip. Will post pics for sure.

wyoelk
09-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Go hunt elk and enjoy your trip! In thirty plus years of stomping the Snowy Range I can count on one hand the number of bears I have seen when we were not actually trying to kill bears. We leave our tents set up for several weeks with food in them and have never had a problem.

Good luck on your hunt.