PDA

View Full Version : Son to be stationed in Alaska

William Clunie
09-07-2009, 07:50 AM
My son just found out that he's going to be stationed near Fairbanks, Alaska. Anyone from around there, or know about hunting and fishing possibilities in that region? I think I'll be visiting quite often.

VernAK
09-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Wm,

I live in Delta Junction.....100 mile SE of Fairbanks....is he stationed at Wainright [Fairbanks] or Greely [Delta].....?

PM me with questions...

Vern

Austin
09-08-2009, 06:39 PM
William,

Take Vern up on his offer...he's a wealth of local knowledge up in that area. He helped me out on some logistics for a drawing sheep hunt I had in 2003.

Also, you can glean a lot of intel from prowling around on the Alaska Outdoors Directory Forums.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/

By all means take advantage of your son's time up here...there's lots to do & see.

Austin

William Clunie
09-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Thanks to you both for the info. Looks like a beautiful state with lots to do for an outdoorsman.

duckear
09-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Fairbanks is fun. i did a couple weeks TDY in June 99 there. Flyfishing on the Chena for grayling while looking over your shoulder for da bears at 2AM.

good times

:)

duckear
09-10-2009, 08:12 PM
...Looks like a beautiful state with lots to do for an outdoorsman.

understatement of the day, if not week.

Also, Alaska redefines 'big'. I think Alaskans must just chuckle when Texans start bragging about 'big'.