PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Blues

KurtB
09-07-2009, 06:38 AM
We switched out the spinning tackle for 12 gauges this weekend and went on our first grouse hunt. The Griffon was expected to work this time versus being a trail clown. We ended up with 12 birds flushed and 3 in the bag. Pic of a first grouse for son and dog. Being a neophyte I googled up as much info as I could on grouse in early Sept. The theme seemed to suggest to hunt in areas of high insect concentrations close to brooding areas. Ours ended up coming from very high and old clear cuts. When cleaned they were feeding solely on berries and weed seeds.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/30338/013-1.jpg
Hunted hard first day, built a nice campfire and sat around talking about dogs and custom rifle builds. Kind of a trial run for my upcoming elk hunt and I think I am as ready as I can be. Could be better, but still not bad. If I can score early on elk, thinking I know of a little place that has had ptarmigan in the past. Like to see these two do those as well.

Smokepole
09-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Very nice. Nothing better than pics of youngsters out hunting.

elmbow
09-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Those Grifs are great dogs! I bought a GSP pup last fall, and he is doing very well, but in my heart I wanted a Pudel Pointer, just couldn't afford the price tag for one. Gotta love the versatile breeds though. The Blue grouse, is unique in that it has a "reverse migration" pattern typical of other gallinaceous species. It moves downslope in the summer to chase bugs and as the fall season progresses, will climb back up to its wintertime habitat in the pines, goofy huh? This time of year, follow the bugs and the berries and you'll find the fool hens.

Huntsman22
09-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Good deal Kurt. However the G&F says that these birds are no longer blues. They musta evolved into a new-found species. Dusty, dirty, darkly, dusky. Something like that, I can't rightly recall the new moniker.........

KurtB
09-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Why they needed to change that bird's name I don't know, but I'll just keep calling them blues. They are actually quite fun to hunt and I need to ferret out some more of their haunts.

The Griffons are really great dogs. Not real serious, but excellent around the house and wonderful companions. We picked ours up from a kennel in Delta, CO and I'd take another one tomorrow if afforded the opportunity. His feet are pretty jacked up from the rocks, but he'll be ready again soon.

For now, its time to get elk camp put together. Good luck to you all this fall.

Sawtooth
09-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Kurt,

Had fun reading your post about the grouse. I got real close to four birds on the way to my bowhunting camp on Friday, when it was nearing the end of legal hunting hours. Drew bare-fingered on the last one that hadn't flushed, but he beat me to it and lived to see another day. I've seen blues all the way up to 12K feet in the krummholz.

flamingo 7
09-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Kurt,

What a great picture! Ive a 10 month old Grif that was kinda unexpected. We had her out for her first Dove hunt opening day and shes a hoot to have along. No formal bird training yet and shes still putting things together, but its great to be back in the field with a dog again. I too am planning a hunt for Blues in the near future, well see. This is Roscoe & Ishe just realized there are birds in the bag.