PDA

View Full Version : Couple quick questions

NXP
09-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I promise I looked high and low before asking, but I'd rather be thought a fool than get myself into trouble:

1) Does the Grabit attach to the G2 Duplex frame in the same location that the Cargo chair does?

2) I understand the Grabit is NOT the cargo chair, that said - would it have difficulties hauling out something like a quarter/boned animal with the addition of straps to stabilize the top?

and finally

3) I've been putting some time into understanding the XTL. It looks great, but completely overkill for what I'd want to do with it. Does Kifaru offer a basic, no-frills top that can mount to the Duplex frame?

I'll go back to counting my pennies now. I've just about got it nailed down.

NXP

jadias
09-06-2009, 05:38 PM
3) I've been putting some time into understanding the XTL. It looks great, but completely overkill for what I'd want to do with it. Does Kifaru offer a basic, no-frills top that can mount to the Duplex frame?
Not got any experience with 1 or 2, sorry, but I have a G1 EMR so I can probably help here.

If you buy a Duplex pack, as standard it comes with a regular lid - PALS on top, and a flat zipper pocket on the underside, but that's it. Pretty no-frills. The XTL is an optional extra, so if you don't need it, just don't order it. :)

Is that what you were asking?

NXP
09-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Kind of - what I meant was the ability to purchase a plain, no frill's lid similar to what you'd find on an EMR/MMR minus the bag, and attach it directly to the top of the Duplex frame.

What I'm envisioning is a duplex frame, LP/POD setup with a Grabit on the bottom and a no-frill's lid on the top to lock everything together - sort of a modular MMR (I blame Mel for the idea, I've been staring at his examples in the G2 sticky for the last month...).

NXP

BuckarooMedic
09-08-2009, 07:23 AM
NXP,

I'm using a Longhunter top pocket on both my Zulu and MMR. The Longhunter is basically the same pack as the MMR, so this top pocket might fit your requirements. Probably would want to call Kifaru and talk with someone regarding your exact question.

I agree with you, the XTL is really overkill. Too expensive and way too complicated. I could never get everything I wanted in my XTL. Now I have room left-over using the Longhunter top pocket.

Take care,

AndyL
09-08-2009, 02:29 PM
I seem to think someone bought a standard lid after getting a second hand bag that came with the XTL

NXP
09-08-2009, 10:03 PM
BuckarooMedic - I never would have thought to use the LongHunter top. Now that you mention it (and I looked at it), it would be perfect for what I'm after.

That pretty much solved the top end of the pack, I'll probably need to get with the gang over at Kifaru anyway to see if the Grabit can hold the weight I'm considering possibly putting on it.

I think I finally may have the "perfect" pack. :D

NXP

straps
09-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I carried a box of 7.62 linked ammunition, a M240B Traverse/Elevation Assembly and an Advanced Combat Helmet (yeah, I know, I should have been wearing the helmet but I've had gun parts chew up nylon before so I put the T&E in the helmet to protect it;)) in a Grab It on a MOLLEx. Small, heavy load, 40 lbs, 2 mile hike to the firing point. Probably the upper limit before a Cargo Chair becomes a wiser choice. The Grab it held, but I've long been in the habit of adding tri-glides, as I do with D&L and Piggy Back straps to maintain the tension. I'm glad I did--we had to stop periodically to re-apply tension on the straps holding the spare barrel and tripod.