PDA

View Full Version : Slick Annex?

Mel
08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Hey guys, this is directed more towards you military guys and ultralight minimalists. We are considering offering a slick Annex for the ParaHootch and SuperHootch. What this means is that there will be no stove pipe opening with flap. That would probably put the weight at just under 3ozs for the ParaHootch version. It would also be about 30 bucks cheaper. The Annex will give you 4 season protection from the elements, along with extra room for gear. For you military guys, to give you an idea on the compressed size of a ParaHootch with Slick Annex, you could fit both into a 3 mag pouch. For those of you not familiar with the Annex currently offered on the hunting side, here is a link with a photo:

https://www.kifaru.net/shelteraccessories.html

Post up here and let us know if you have an interest in a Slick Annex.

Mel

medic16
08-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Slick Annex sounds good. I could definitly put it to use on the Oregon Coast.

Blackfoot
08-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Mel, I'm interested. What color would they be?

Mel
08-26-2009, 05:26 PM
They would be white or coyote brown, the same as our tipis and hootches.

Mel

Blackfoot
08-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Any chance of bringing back the poncho/annex? I've heard guys talk about 'em on here and no one ever sells them. There's gotta be something to that. :)

BuckarooMedic
08-27-2009, 09:06 AM
I concur with Blackfoot. Bring back the poncho/annex combo. More versatile in my book. Put me down for a CB one when you do.

tradja
08-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Our (very ParaTarp-ish) homemade tarp did great on our 2006 CDT thru-hike, but in blowing snow we spent the night dreaming up something very much like the Kifaru Annex, while we huddled behind a makeshift "Annex" of trash bags and semi-frozen rain jackets.

Fast-Forward to 2009: Recently I discovered Kifaru. Just last night I was pitching the standard Kifaru Annex to my wife as an addition to our tarp for our PCT thru-hike next year. Of course, I casually suggested that since it already has a chimney port, we might as well get a ParaStove for the chilly last month of the hike. She was very excited about the Annex concept being commerically available from a high-quality, American manufacturer, but she was not sold on:

the weight
the 3-digit price
the stove

A "slick" Annex as proposed here would mitigate all three of her concerns.

Of course, even with the slick option I'd still try to keep the "regular Annex+stove" option on the table anyway...;)

Kalidas
08-27-2009, 01:19 PM
I concur with Blackfoot. Bring back the poncho/annex combo. More versatile in my book. Put me down for a CB one when you do.

+1 here too

duckear
08-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Kifaru needs to sew the annex on and call it a day.

evanhill
08-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Sew the annex on and call it a day.

Since someone already opened the ball on this, I'll say I've thought for quite a while that a supertarp with the annex built in would be the "bees knees". Such an arrangement could also have the stove jack in the same place as on the paratipi -- or slick for mil and through hiker type users.

one-eyed Bob
08-27-2009, 07:05 PM
so put a door flap on the supertarp and call it a day

Blackfoot
08-28-2009, 12:19 AM
I think sewing the annex onto shelter would limit the shelters function to act as a tarp, it would become more like a tent without a floor. Which would limit who would buy it. Maybe having an option when ordering to have the two sewn together could be fielded by Kifaru.

I'm only interested in a slick annex because I don't have or intend to carry around a stove for a shelter as small as a ParaHootch or SuperHootch. Plus it doesn't get cold enough where I'm at to really need a stove inside the shelter. I was just curious about the old poncho/annex, seems those that have 'em, love 'em and will never part with them. Guess it all comes down to individual requirements.

-Blackfoot

christianh
08-28-2009, 11:01 PM
I think I'd be in for a slick annex. I've been considering a parahootch/paratarp for three season soloing and not having to resort to a plain tarp or packing the six man. I figure if I needed heat or wood cooking I could use a bush buddy stove at the slick/tarp opening.