PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness!!!

Westy
08-25-2009, 05:33 PM
In addition to the usual "no motorized vehicles", "no wheeled vehicles", etc. that I associate with Wilderness, I thought it was interesting that caching equipment or having campfires at or near treeline is against the law in many areas. Just a couple more reasons why I LOVE Wilderness. It looks like laws vary from Wilderness to Wilderness, so take a look at the areas you spend time in and make sure you're doing your part to keep them wild and unspoiled.

I ran across this website, and given the population of this board, I thought it would be worthwhile to post. There is lots of good information about specific Wilderness areas here.

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=AtoZ (http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=AtoZ)

SuperBadger
08-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Excellent link! Thanks for sharing!

CCH
08-26-2009, 10:12 AM
For Eagle's Nest:

CAMPSITE RESTRICTION - IN DESIGNATED SITES ONLY : 100 FEET

CAMPING WITHIN ONE HUNDRED FEET OF LAKES, STREAMS, FOREST DEVELOPMENT TRAILS, OR ANY "NO CAMPING: OR "WILDERNESS RESTORATION SITE" SIGN IS PROHIBITED.

Kind of contradictory. Designated sites only (where are they?) yet the other qualifications that don't matter if it is in designated sites only.

Thanks for the link, that's good info.

Westy
08-26-2009, 10:25 AM
CAMPSITE RESTRICTION - IN DESIGNATED SITES ONLY : 100 FEET

CAMPING WITHIN ONE HUNDRED FEET OF LAKES, STREAMS, FOREST DEVELOPMENT TRAILS, OR ANY "NO CAMPING: OR "WILDERNESS RESTORATION SITE" SIGN IS PROHIBITED.
Kind of contradictory. Designated sites only (where are they?) yet the other qualifications that don't matter if it is in designated sites only.

Weird - I don't get that.

Bushcraft
08-26-2009, 10:31 AM
I think they are referring to high-use sites that are being rehabilitated. We have some sites next to some high-use areas (lakes inside wilderness boundaries that are easily accessed from a nearby trailhead) that are posted as off-limits to camping due to rehabilitation of the natural fauna that's been trampled into dust.

To my way of thinking, instead of encouraging people to put up camps hither and yon in these high-use areas, they ought to put up wooden platforms for tents and eating, just as they do on the Chilkoot Trail.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/2647975031_854e010d09.jpg

CCH
08-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I think I need to make a call and get clarification.

Bushcraft, I agree with your suggestion for high use areas. I'm just wondering about the areas you might find by bushwacking. The place I'm planning on camping at this season is HIGHLY unlikely to get any other traffic anywhere near it but by this description, I'm not sure that I should be camping there.

Bushcraft
08-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Probably best to get some clarification. Personally, if it is well off the beaten path and not in a designated campsite area...I wouldn't trouble myself to make the call.

And for clarification, I was referring to a few spots closed that are closed to camping in designated camping areas near a few lakes that are inside a wilderness area.

CCH
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm really avoiding studying so I made the call. ;) According to the supervising Forest Service area, what that means is that you should only camp where there are existing fire rings IF you are going to have a fire. Otherwise you can camp wherever you'd like as long as it's 100 feet from water. They could really clarify that in the regs.

Sawtooth
08-26-2009, 11:28 AM
That's the beauty of a Kifaru stove! No fire ring needed. Just spread your stovewood gathering out over an area and scatter your out-cold ashes. Truly low-impact camping at its best.

CCH
08-26-2009, 11:31 AM
That's what I'm thinking! ;)

Ermine
08-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Cool link. Thanks for posting.