PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Weather

Lost Arra
08-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I've got a National Weather Service shortcut to follow the weather where I hunt in Colorado.
Is a 20% forecast for showers and thunderstorms pretty standard at higher (10k) elevations?

The way things have gone that past couple of years 20% means it's going to rain 20% of the day.

Gregdoo
08-25-2009, 05:04 PM
That is pretty standard....in general, clear morning and then after noon it begins to cloud up in some areas and possibly rain. Rain tends to be shorter duration, if an afternoon storm, with clearing after an hour or two. This tends to be true until early to mid-Sept. and after that, the monsoon season peters out. However, this year, we've had an unusually wet summer. Normally, even with some "monsoon" activity, the grasses are brown, but this year it is still green here in the Colorado Springs area. Some folks expect this fall and winter to have more moisture than normal too. Good year to see if your raingear is up to the task!

Lost Arra
08-25-2009, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE= Good year to see if your raingear is up to the task![/QUOTE]

That's why I'm taking the Impertech (and the 10oz weight penalty)! :D

CCH
08-25-2009, 07:41 PM
I would not expect rain 20% of the day unless some real weather comes in and stays.

LesA
08-25-2009, 08:03 PM
It's Colo
If you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes it will change

above timberline anything can go on
Snow here at 10,000' two weekend ago

Cleve
08-26-2009, 08:26 AM
20% chance is like the weather prognosticators saying ... "We're not sure, but if it's like most days it might rain a bit in the afternoon." Sometimes that "rain a bit" means wrath of God for half an hour -- heavy downpour, lightning, wind, hail, you name it. Followed immediately by God reminding you with sunshine that he loves you.

My standard approach (EDC), in town, in the mountains, where ever, is to always bring both raingear and sunglasses -- and frequently use both, sometimes simultaneously. After about mid-Oct the raingear in the pack is either exchanged for or supplemented with a warm layering piece.