PDA

View Full Version : Made some friends today....

Smokepole
08-22-2009, 07:38 PM
On an RMEF volunteer project done in conjunction with the USFS and Boulder County Open Space. The USFS and Boulder County both manage land up near Nederland CO that contains a riparian area considered important winter range for elk and moose. It borders a popular USFS camping area and there are several bootleg trails from the camping area down into the winter range, which is boggy in a lot of places. The trails are used by ORVs and the bogs are torn up in places so the USFS wants to close the trails and repair the damage. The first phase of work was building some rail fences to cut off ORV access, and that's what we did today. The second phase will be re-grading and repairing the trails, and seeding them with grass.

Anyway, it was a great excuse to get outside, tote some logs, swing a sledge, and the important part, make some friends. The folks we worked with from Boulder County hadn't been around many hunters I'd say, and once we got going on the fence work, they opened up and asked a lot of questions about hunting; where we hunt, how we hunt, how we process the meat, etc. They were very knowledgeable about wildlife in general, and we talked a bit about the proper role that hunting plays in keeping the number of elk and deer in check. They told us that their next project was to constuct some "exclosures" to keep the animals off the young aspen in the area and let them grow above browse height and get re-established, so keeping the prey species in check was something they were familiar with.

I did detect a little bit of hesitance on their part at first--they seemed a little wary, no doubt due to their pre-existing ideas about hunting and hunters, but by the end of the day all of that was washed away and as I say, I believe we made some friends.

And maybe gave them a different outlook on hunters and hunting; hopefully that will last long after the fence is gone. Here are some pics:

The fence (two pics, i'm proud of this):

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/cpwatts_2006/DSCN0852.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/cpwatts_2006/DSCN0854.jpg

The RMEF contingent:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/cpwatts_2006/DSCN0859.jpg

More of the crew:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/cpwatts_2006/DSCN0861.jpg

Lost Arra
08-22-2009, 08:13 PM
That's a nice looking fence. Great work Smokepole!

Fence building, sledge hammers....all in August. whew.

>>maybe gave them a different outlook on hunters and hunting; hopefully that will last long after the fence is gone<<

It's a shame that most of the non-hunting population forms their opinion of hunters from the "whack 'em, stack 'em" garbage shown on television.

CCH
08-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Smokepole, as is clearly shown in that first photo you are about as approachable as they come so I'd expect nothing less than many new friends. ;) Thanks for putting in the work and representing the hunting clan well.

elmbow
08-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Smokepole, as is clearly shown in that first photo you are about as approachable as they come so I'd expect nothing less than many new friends. ;) Thanks for putting in the work and representing the hunting clan well.

2nd that observation. Getting a little gray in the muzzle too.

Nice looking fence btw, job well done.

Smokepole
08-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Well, all the first photo shows is the fence, what are you guys trying to tell me? I'm as smart as a fencepost?

CCH
08-23-2009, 09:54 AM
I meant the first photo that shows the RMEF contingent (i.e. first with people, not with fence posts). Not very clear, it's actually me that may not rival a fencepost in intellectual capabilities. Two of those three guys are all smiles and look relaxed. The other one looks like a former Secret Service agent who badly misses his ear piece and SMG. :D

Smokepole
08-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Wise guy.....

Uncle Jake
08-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for your work. Hope the fence does it's job.

So when can we buy ATV tags?

Scoutin' Wyo
08-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Nice work Smoke! Is that the Caribou area? I used to board Eldora while going to school in Boulder and had always heard of the mud bog areas up above Nerdland.

By chance was one of the REMF guys driving a scout?

evanhill
08-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Don't worry CCH, sarcasm is wasted on.... well, Smokepole. :D

Cleve
08-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Smokepole --
Thanks for your efforts. I wish all non-hunters could encounter someone like you (and I bet the other RMEF volunteers) who is a civil, educated, polite (well usually ;) ) fellow who represents us so well, and can articulate the need for hunting to keep the wildlife thriving.

Good on you my friend!

jhuebner
08-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Excellent post! Thanks for all you've done....all of us need to step up to the plate and invest in our future by bridging the gap of ignorance and misinformation. Thanks again.

Jason

Smokepole
08-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Nice work Smoke! Is that the Caribou area? I used to board Eldora while going to school in Boulder and had always heard of the mud bog areas up above Nerdland.

By chance was one of the REMF guys driving a scout?

Didn't see anyone driving a scout, but it's right near Caribou, it's Gordon's Creek.

Actually, evan, most all of CCH's humor is wasted on me........but I did crack up when I went back and looked at the photo. It was the photographer's fault, she's not in the photo but.........suffice to say she was of the phenotype that had me standing a little taller, etc.

evanhill
08-24-2009, 10:40 AM
she was of the phenotype

Ok, that's just spooky. I used to use the word "phenotype" in that context quite a bit, although it's been a number of years. You're the only other person I've ever heard use it in that way.

Smokepole
08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Well then, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

evanhill
08-24-2009, 04:31 PM
I don't know the exact phenotype, but I might spend a few pleasant moments conjuring up my best guess ;)

falcon
08-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks Smoke and friends for putting in the time and effort for the initial cause as well as being great spokesmen for hunting and hunters. Fence looks good.

Also the opportunity to look up a new word and figure out how to use it in the context provided. :)

AbnMedOps
08-24-2009, 08:31 PM
"Good fences make good neighbors."
- Robert Frost

Yolla Bolly
09-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Goodonyee, Smoke et al.