PDA

View Full Version : Tailgunner vs Mountainsmith Day Pack

fn
08-22-2009, 03:55 PM
I have (had?) a Mountainsmith Day (waist) Pack but I can't seem to find the thing. Might have to replace it with a Tailgunner. Anyone know how the two Tailgunner models compre in size to the Mountainsmith? Thanks.

DavidLewis
08-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Good question! I've been having similar thoughts vis-a-vis my MS Tour lumbar pack, & the Tailgunner I & II.

Any info relative to that comparison would be appreciated, too.

David

moho
08-24-2009, 08:57 AM
I'll be interested in comparative info too.

I have had a Tour for many years and use it almost daily for jogs with the dog(s). A perfect size for a light FAK and some essential gear. Awesome suspension for jogging or skiing.

I use the mesh pouches on the side continually, usually for things I may need to get to quickly, like leashes, treats and spray. Only occasionally water. I suspect it would take some extras to get the TG into a comparable configuration. While I like the look and concept of the TG, it will be hard to beat the simplicity and versatility of the Tour for my uses.

snakey2
08-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I have just received my Tailgunner 1 to replace the Mountainsmith of equal size so I hope I can answer your questions. Size is about equal. The first thing I noticed is the different opening. The MS opens like a clam and the TG opens like a can (if that makes sense). It is easier to pack the TG because of this. I have used the TG for some long hikes and it rides much better both because of the suspension and the pack lock back pad. The inside of the MS has one pocket the TG has many places to stash stuff. The MS has an outside pocket which is handy the TG would have to have pockets added. It is much easier to add pockets and straps to the TG. Those are my first impressions and I really like the TG.