PDA

View Full Version : Elk Scouting: WARNING NO BEARS!!!!

CCH
08-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Took the boy out scouting for elk over the weekend. Didn't really expect to find much sign this time of the year in this location per the expert input I received and really just planned to more get the lay of the land. Were happily surprised to find some pretty fresh sign throughout the area, although as happens with much of my hunting, no animals were actually in the tracks we saw. Nice weather, nice hike. Flat spots were a bit tricky. Had to relocate the first tent site after putting in a couple of stake due to extreme ant activity but finally found a place to squeeze in between the bushes.

Here's the humble abode for two of us. You wouldn't guess it at the moment, but this was the most condensation I've ever run into in a single wall tent. The ST was pre-condensationalized (my $5 word for the day) before we even got in at night and that was without the annex. I'm thinking that pitching it over some green stuff and having a lot of sun made our own solar still. Most of it froze over night but I sure saw the supremacy of whatever microfiber stuff WM is using compared to a mid-line REI synthetic bag. Actually felt better about having down in the moist air when it was wrapped in that shell.

http://cch.smugmug.com/photos/623825678_QHw4A-M.jpg

Defying all odds, we had a cell signal and were able to call out for some special company. Would have gotten a pizza too but apparently they didn't deliver up there. Westy was nice enough to come up and join us for the night and help bridge the generation gap. Despite the photo, Chase is actually fairly good sized, he's just standing next to Westy. I look pretty stubby too when I do so. Score 1 for camping with Sawtooth on the self-esteem meter. Oh wait, he's a few years older and can walk me into the ground. I really need to just camp alone.

A quick sartorial note. If you have to deal with teen/pre-teen fashion at all today, you will know that Bill Belichik has nothing on the teenage all consuming need to wear a hoody at all times. I can't think of much worse back country gear than a cotton hoody approaching two pounds but was able to find this clearance soft shell synthetic hoody that is our compromise. It is merely a happy coincidence that it happens to be in Broncos colors.

http://cch.smugmug.com/photos/623826708_H9sZk-M.jpg

P.S. A .357 revolver accompanied me on this trip but I only felt safe from bears once Westy arrived with what I assume was his .45 Glock (I felt it rude to ask what size he had). I was on pins and needles until he showed up.

Bushcraft
08-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Good on you for taking the lad out scouting. Wait a minute...I see now you were talking about your son...kudos for doing that too!

CCH
08-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Let's just say I felt very mature on this outing... Not the most accomplished nor expert, just mature. ;)

Smokepole
08-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Looks like a great trip, hope you guys get one. Great to see you and Chase take the young lad for an outing.

CCH
08-19-2009, 06:43 AM
I believe in giving back to the community and helping those in need. ;)

By the way smokepole, he now has that ammo. Figured at this rate he'd be able to get it to you before I could. If you see any .338 ammo on Craigslist, you'll know who to thump. :D

Sawtooth
08-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Good show! Looks like you guys had fun!

Westy
08-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Those who don't return phone calls miss out on free .338 Core Lokts....

CCH
08-19-2009, 09:18 AM
It only got down to about freezing but a stove would have made a big difference to dry things out in the morning. Selling motorcycle stuff so I can put one together. I think that will help with Chase's fun factor a bit. He was a bit chilled in his "20" degree bag. I've got those down bags coming that will be warmer, but I don't think the shells are nearly as impervious to water as my WM so drying out may be a concern. Need to keep 'em comfortable!

It was a pretty short jaunt, like walking to the end of the driveway to pick up the paper for Westy. Like the smart guy he is, he packed all his hunting gear to dial it in for hunting season. However he rolled with two sets of binos and two flashlights to test them out and no stove (he used mine to cook his "meal"). I keep things simple by not giving myself the option to test replacement equipment. :) As I recall, Chase offered him $10 for the Surefire light he found to be inferior and I think he got up to $110 for his possibly passe B&L binoculars. For some reason, Westy didn't go for it.

CCH
08-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Those who don't return phone calls miss out on free .338 Core Lokts....

Yeah, and did you see the OLD price on those things! :D

Timberline
08-19-2009, 12:43 PM
As others have said, good show!

Always good when geezers take the whippersnappers out. Both sides learn.

CCH
08-19-2009, 01:04 PM
To be fair, I suspect I'm learning much more from Westy than vice versa. Heck, even Chase keeps schooling me on WWII.