PDA

View Full Version : Some good news for Huntsman

Otoejet
08-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Just read in the Denver Post that the Douglas County Sheriff's office finally dropped the charges against Hunstman's brother from the dog killing a fawn episode. I guess some one finally actually read the law. 'Bout time for some good news for this good man.

Huntsman22
08-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Yep, the Denver Post article put some unwanted pressure on the DA. He dropped all charges and the judge agreed to it. Bro is a free man with a bunch of legal bills. Both of his lawyers turned out to be real dinkheads. He's going to try to recoup his fees, his very own self............Please send me a link to that article, as I don't get the paper since being out on my own. Thanks, Don

Kmassaro
08-20-2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_13131303

Huntsman22
08-20-2009, 09:11 PM
thanks......

William Clunie
08-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Good to read good news about a good guy. Hope he can get some kind of reimbursement.

gdw042
08-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Good news for your brother Don.

I had not seen this story, and do not know any of the details, but I wonder why he was charged in the first place?

Colorado has a Title 33 statute that talks about this:

33-6-128. Damage or destruction of dens or nests - harassment of wildlife.

2) Unless otherwise allowed by commission rule or regulation, it is unlawful for any person to knowingly or negligently allow or direct a dog which he owns or which is under his control to harass wildlife, whether or not the wildlife is actually injured by such dog. Any person who violates this subsection (2) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of two hundred dollars.

(3) A Colorado wildlife officer or other peace officer may capture or kill any dog he or she determines to be harassing wildlife. The provisions of this subsection (3) shall not apply to dogs that are under the direct personal control of a person.

Maybe because the dog was under the "control" of the owner?

When I worked in the mountains, I had a case where a couple from New York let their poodle out of the car and it started chasing one of the local rancher's animals. Rancher happened to be right there and shot and killed it.

New York couple could not understand why I was not going to arrest the rancher for killing their dog. I explained to them that the rancher was perfectly within his rights and was being nice by not pressing charges against them. They were aghast that he could do that and not get arrested. I tried to explain that Colorado was a ranching state, but they did not get it.

I love dogs. In fact, I am currently looking for a Rottweiler puppy for when I get back, but I also understand the duty to keep them under control at all times.

Maybe it's just me.
GDW