PDA

View Full Version : Fair wear and tear to ZXR

Thommo
08-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Just returned from yet another trek and my trusty ZXR is sporting a few scars:

I have always favoured military spec packs as they are generally more robust than other packs. It is my experience that much of the wear and tear on packs occurs whilst in transit to-from your area of operations.

Generally my ZXR finds itself thrown in a trailer for about 1000+ kilometers each time I head of into the wilderness to spend about 100 - 200 kilometers on my back.

Now I guess my pack ended up on the bottom of the trailer (with 20-30 other packs on top) resting on its back with the top of the stays rubbing on the checker plate floor eventually rubbing holes into the nylon sleeves:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l312/thommohome/ZXRwearandtear003.jpg

I am thinking a bit of a hand sewing job should repair before the stay makes its way through entirely

Just to top it off I snapped a surface mount on my XTL. Always thought I would rip the surface mount out of the holes before the actual modified mount snapped! (easy fix)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l312/thommohome/ZXRwearandtear004.jpg

Now if I continue to destroy my ZXR at this rate I might be able to justify a ZXR G2 :D

Well this is what happens when our packs are used and used hard :)

steveb
08-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Thommo, sounds like you are psyching yourself up to get a G2 ZXR. Now, which colour will it be?

rambler_wannabe
08-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Nothing like cheese grater floorplate.

rhunter424
08-15-2009, 06:39 PM
If it wasn't for the angry face on the post, I would have thought this was an intro to you getting a G2 ZXR.

That's unfortunate about the stays coming through. You made me double check those spots on my ZXR :) I guess there were quite a few packs thrown on top of yours if it broke the ITW Nexus mount. Was it getting a lot of sun exposure at the time? I'm thinking heat or cold plus force is about the only thing that would bring that ITW Nexus hardware down.

So...G2 or back to Kifaru for a repair? :D

Woods Walker
08-15-2009, 11:29 PM
I have some wear on my Pointman. But it was hard won. :)

one911emergency
08-24-2009, 09:44 PM
I had a Zulu for a few years, and my Axe came out of it's sheath inside one of the slot pockets. during the two or three mile trek it created a hole about a 4th of inch wide. I also tried picking up me G1 Zulu by the thin 1 inch webbing portion of the shoulder strap near where it's sewn into the pack. I ripped a bit of the Hapalon reinforcements (a tear about an 8th of inch long it also had about 55 to 60lbs in it), nothing that compromised the integrity of the pack or anything. I find Kifaru packs to be bomb proof. You must have subjected your pack to hell. It really seems to minor damage though. I would sew it back up too, mainly to ensure that it doesn't get any worse.