PDA

View Full Version : Pack used by Delta Force

southpost
08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi All,
I have just finished reading Dalton Fury's book on his time in Delta Force.In it he mentions that they use a Kelty long range mountain backpack weighing 1.85lbs empty,it uses carbon fiber levitators to support load and is made with almost indestructable space age called spectra fabric.I have looked on Kelty's website but can't find a pack matching this description.Does anyone out there know of this pack?Thanks.Cheers Bruce

SuperBadger
08-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I believe that's the "Kelty Cloud", no longer made if I recall....

http://www.hiking-backpack.com/Kelty_Cloud_6500_Backpack_-_6500_ci.html

and expensive....

sab
08-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Spectra is very similar to Dyneema, which McHale and other high-end hiking pack manufacturers use for ultralight packs. Both materials are high-density polyethylene spun into fibers and woven. I think there is some marketing agreement between the two companies that make the materials.

Scott

Jeelan
08-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Spectra is very similar to Dyneema, which McHale and other high-end hiking pack manufacturers use for ultralight packs. Both materials are high-density polyethylene spun into fibers and woven. I think there is some marketing agreement between the two companies that make the materials.

Scott

also if memory serves, Spectra fabrics dont take dye very well so they are almost always white or uncoloured...

i might be wrong but i remember reading this somewhere.

cheers
Jeelan

sab
08-17-2009, 07:05 AM
I know that McHale does dye his Dyneema packs as an option.

Scott

David in OR
08-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Rock climbers use sewn-webbing runners made of Spectra that come in different colors. I got red ones and blue ones.

straps
08-17-2009, 11:56 AM
D-boys love the rattlecan; they will also stitch VERY crude environmentally/culturally appropriate coverings for their gear.