PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Pack

BlaserFan
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Hello all. I just joined here after learning of this forum. I was researching the different hunting packs available and I narrowed it down to the "Spike Camp" and the "Late Season." It seems, on the site description at least, that the "Late Season" is not too much larger than the "Spike Camp", but you do gain some extra room without adding too much size and weight to the pack. The pack I'm seeking would be my only all around pack meaning for hunting, weekend camping and everyday use. Everyday use would be for 3 to 4 day business trips by plane and as a carry on luggage. I was leaning towards the "Spike Camp", but am now considering the "Late Season" and was wondering if someone with first hand experience with either of these models could comment based on my uses?

Also, on the basic models, I see the Gun Bearer and the DQ panels come with it, but do any on the interior pouchs come with it?

After this decision, I'll be researching their sleeping bags.

Thanks

BF

CCH
08-14-2009, 12:18 PM
I've used both and if I wanted the most versatility, I'd go with the Late Season (assuming it still qualifies as a carry on). I find it just as useful as a daypack but big enough to accommodate longer trips as well.

one-eyed Bob
08-14-2009, 04:19 PM
The late season is capable of carrying a nice camp, particularly if a pod is added, and has a superior suspension. I use mine for everything. It has a special pocket for airline tickets or folded maps. It is slightly larger than needed for a daypack, however.

hunting1
08-14-2009, 07:24 PM
I started with a Spike and Longhunter, but now have the Late Season and Siwash and am HAPPY! You will be happy either way, but if you get the Spike go with the Siwash or Longhunter is my $.02

DrTom
08-14-2009, 07:53 PM
If it is going to be your ONLY pack, and it's going to entail 2-3-4 days go with the Late Season, the Spike Camp will be too small. The Late Season is a super airline pack...and a super 2-4 day backpack.

When I first started "The Kifaru Thing", I wanted one do-all pack and chose a Late Season. Now I have a LongHunter Standard (for 1 week-type trips) and a Spike Camp (for an EDC around town pack). The Late Season is too big for an EDC around town pack. My favorite is the Late Season.

The really neat, unexpected thing is the pockets, pods, etc. are all interchangable between all of the packs. It becomes an amazingly versitile system.

Songdog
08-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Like DrTom, I have a LH, Late Season and Express (SpikeCamp). If forced to choose just one, I'd probably opt for the Late Season. I use all three for different purposes but if forced...

You can get multiple days with a Spike Camp if you have super compact gear and enjoy the minimalist approach. I just got back from a 4.5 day trip over 42 miles with this pack and it performed great. This was summer weather and not a hunting trip though.

If it's not summer and you need an extra layer of clothing. If it's hunting season and you have a game bag and a bigger knife. A little extra food, etc. then a Late Season will fit all that gear inside the pack where you might be strapping stuff on the outside of a Spike Camp.

While a LH can be compressed down significantly, I still think that 2000ci of gear fits better in a 3200ci Late Season than a 5200ci LH. I find that if I have the extra space in the pack it's very tempting to fill it with unnecessary stuff. Being constrained by CI is not necessarily a bad thing in all cases. If you needd 5000+ci though, you'll love the LH.

Ken
08-16-2009, 10:49 AM
For overnighting, the LS is a better choice.

hunting1
08-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Ah heck, just buy one of each! :)