PDA

View Full Version : Flying with the Navigator question...

lmalterna
08-12-2009, 07:39 PM
I am to use my Nav as a checked flight bag and was wondering if anyone new of a tuff sack I can slip it into to prevent hangups and damage to belt and straps?

If nothing else I will look for a canvas laundry bag. Pairing this with a Baby Condor for a two week trip to Phils.

Thanks,
2Door

25C
08-12-2009, 08:45 PM
I am to use my Nav as a checked flight bag and was wondering if anyone new of a tuff sack I can slip it into to prevent hangups and damage to belt and straps?

If nothing else I will look for a canvas laundry bag. Pairing this with a Baby Condor for a two week trip to Phils.

I have one of these and it works well...
http://www.pro-tector.co.uk/rucksack.html

The customer service leaves something to be desired and it is an astonishingly simple product you could produce yourself with a little packcloth, a sewing machine and some gromets. But I figured for the money, it was easier to just buy one. Just took a while for him to feel like shipping it to me...

I have the medium one (the "backpacker") and my Marauder fits in there with room to spare.

gdw042
08-13-2009, 12:37 AM
I have one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/748511

I have the XXL size for my EMR and it works great. I'm not sure what size you would need for a Navigator, but it's inexpensive, tough and pretty compact overall. I also have an REI 5 minutes from my house, so that helps. :-)
GDW

andyoz
08-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Life Adventre do a simple rucksack cover in the form of a duffel that folds up into its own pouch - size of 3-4 rifle mags. Ripstop water repelent finish, cheap and seems to be tough enough for the airport vandals.

joelies
08-13-2009, 09:17 AM
+1 on the REI duffel bag. i use a REI xl waterproof duffel for my navi when i go overseas. the benifits are numerous: water, i.e. dustproof; less straps to snag; additional storage if needed. ill see if i can get some pics.

joelies bin fatkid

joelies
08-13-2009, 09:42 AM
photo upload

lmalterna
08-14-2009, 06:10 AM
Thanks guys... again the best answer is the most obvious- that I overlooked..

I was thinking I wanted the luggage tag on the top of the pack incase the cover got ripped off the pack- I wanted the tag to protrude though the opening in the top of the cover bag... With the duffle, it should be tough enough for this not to be a problem. I will tag the pack with contact info and just zip it and secure the duffel handles together.

Thanks again for sizing info on what duffle to order,

2Door

circle
11-05-2009, 07:44 AM
I just wanted to make a balancing statement alongside the comment above from 25C:

The customer service leaves something to be desired...Just took a while for him to feel like shipping it to me.

I ordered the same product yesterday, after seeing it here and despite 25C's experience, and I received it this morning.

That is, I received it in less than 24 hours, in a country whose postal service is allegedly in turmoil, with weekly strikes and near endemic incompetence.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it looks to be just right for the job.

Si