PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting Gear List

brianakee
08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
I am trying to finish packing for my very first backpack hunt in the high country, and my very first elk hunt (CO OTC Archery tags in case you were wondering). I have pretty much all my gear ready and stowed, but I wanted to ask the more experience high country hunters here about some specific gear choices.

Rope: How much and what size?
I generally carry 50' paracord, but I was concerned about hanging my food and game to keep it from the bears.

Game Processing Kit:
I will be carrying a Gerber Exchange a blade (Cape, Boning, small saw) and a longer brush/bone saw. The Exchange a blade has done very well on deer/antelope sized prey. Anything I am missing? What about game bags? I have one Kifaru meat baggie for hauling boned out meat. My general plan is to quarter and hang the meat if I am so lucky as to harvest an elk. Prior to packing it out, I was planning on de-boning everything.

Camp Tools:
I was considering an axe, but would rather not carry the extra weight if possible. What about a shovel/trench tool? I will also be carrying my trusty Gerber multi-tool. Any other recommendations?

I pretty much have the following covered:
Rain Gear and Clothing
Sleeping (pad, bag, shelter, stove)
Food and Food Prep (MRE, dehydrated, power bars, trail mix, etc...)
Water (Bladder, 1L bottle, pump filter, purification tabs)
Survival/FAK
Personal Items (toothbrush/paste, sunscreen, bug spray, soap, wipes, etc...)
Hunting Items (game calls, bow/arrows, face mask, etc...)
Navigation (maps, gps, compass)

Anything major that I am missing?
Any general recommendations that any of you care to make?

I am very excited, yet very nervous about going at this alone. I had lined up several people to go with me, but as the time has passed everyone has flaked out. I have been crossfit'ing since February, and I am in as good a shape as I have been in my entire adult life.

Thanks

sab
08-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Brianakee:

Like you, I'm a fellow Texan fairly new to elk hunting out west. A hunting partner and I have a New Mexico elk hunt planned for late October, and it will be our first, too. This trip has been in the planning stages for well over a year, and I had a chance to do a scouting/gear test trip in the high country last fall.

You probably just forgot to mention these items, but I didn't see them in your list:

Binoculars
Spotting Scope
Rangefinder
Hunting Tag/License
Spare Batteries (as needed)
SPOT Beacon or Sat. Phone or Other Beacon (IMHO, a must have for a solo trip)
Cell Phone (they do sometimes work when you get up high)
Small LED (for in the tent)
LED Headlamp
Digital Camera (for getting a shot of that trophy!)
Garbage Bags/Ziploc Bags (very handy)

One thing that we've learned in our preparations is that weight is not to be ignored. Soon after we started our weekly hikes to get in shape, we re-evaluated our gear list to get rid of extra weight. We've ended up going ultralight with nearly everything except the spotting scope and packs. For instance, we've done away with the 3 pound 2-man tent and replaced it with a half-pound tarp, taking 2.5 pounds off our load in one fell swoop! We didn't even consider bringing an axe or entrenching tool due to the extra weight. You'd be surprised how quickly your load gets to 70 pounds when you start throwing everything in...

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit. If you ever get to central Texas, send me a PM and I'll buy you a frosty one!

Regards,
Scott

Sawtooth
08-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Just a couple of suggestions, based on my experience. Me, I would not take a shovel or trench tool at all. Not even a trowel. Too much weight, not enough benefit. I haven't had a use for either in decades.

As for rope, 550 cord will work fine for hanging food. Just take some extra for this purpose. I like 550 cord because it has lots of other uses, including some for the innards, which you can pull out of the sheath.

Scrutinize ALL of your gear, and if you don't absolutely need an item, get rid of it. Look for gear that will perform more than one task.

Lots has been written on the K. forums about packing lists and what to take on a hunt. Do a search of the message board and see what you think. You can also access my website and look at my gear list for some suggestions.

Congrats on getting in shape! That will make all the difference, because you'll be in a better position to deal with the lack of oxygen and flat ground.

Good luck!

CCH
08-12-2009, 05:28 PM
What Sawtooth said. I'd recommend approaching things with the mentality of "what can I leave behind" rather than "what can I take". Lots of things that you might take can actually be left.

brianakee
08-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I probably stash another bundle of 550/paracord in the pack. Its light and does not take up that much space.

I guess I forgot to mention my optics (rangefinder, scope, binos), flashlights (led head lamps, led camp light). About the only thing that is not on my list from yours is the SAT phone or beacon.

Any comments relating to the game bags? I already had some ideas about the other items, but the question on game bags has been on my mind lately. Generally, on my WT deer hunts, I just hang the deer overnight if its cold enough, or take it immediately for processing. In this case, it may be several days before I can get my meat to a freezer. I am very careful when it comes to game prep, and I just want to make sure that I am prepared.

What Sawtooth said. I'd recommend approaching things with the mentality of "what can I leave behind" rather than "what can I take". Lots of things that you might take can actually be left.

That is mostly the attitude that I have taken. I guess I am getting nervous and I am second guessing my decisions. This will be my very first true backpacking trip, so I want to make sure I have everything ready to go. I don't want to get 5 miles from the road only to find that I am missing that one thing that should have been at the top of my list. :D

Thanks!

Sawtooth, is your website down. It seems as if your DNS records are not populating properly.

DrTom
08-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Weight is going to be a huge factor. How about replacing the 1L bottle with a second water bladder and taking only purification tablets instead of a filter and purification tablets? Gotta be good for at least a pound and frees up much space in the pack.

Randy
08-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Having a couple of meat baggies will probably be in order. I also use the Alaska Game bags...they are tough, re-usable and breathe well if you need to hang meat while hauling other loads. The meat baggies are great for hauling and even transporting in your cooler, but I doubt 1 is enough for elk.

I'd leave the trenching tool as well. Like Sawtooth said, make sure everything has multiple uses. The multi-plier can serve many purposes and will likely do away with an additional knife. Take a cotton handkerchief...use for a pot-holder, do-rag, washcloth, etc. Can you use your cook kit for a drinking cup as well?

You can save weight and carry water in one of the filter bottles instead of packing a filter. Not as fast, but lighter, will filter tons of water and you can carry it full and ready to go.

Just few items to give some thought to.

Good luck on your trip and be sure to post lots of pics for us all.

evanhill
08-12-2009, 08:04 PM
This will be my very first true backpacking trip, so I want to make sure I have everything ready to go.

Do yourself a favor and go on a weekend "shakedown" trip before you go. You'll learn a lot in the process. I know it's tough living in Houston, but even if you just go backpacking on someone's deer lease, it will give you a chance to get some stuff dialed in. If you've got time, Enchanted Rock or Lost Maples (those just happen to be the ones I've backpacked in)...

gonehuntn
08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
+1 on the shake down. After a hike a few weeks ago to do an equipment check I had an epiphany. I packed in with what I planned on using for a multi-day trip with my Scout piggy backed to my G2 MMR. It was too heavy of a load! I decided once I set up a base camp, I'd use my MMR to pack in enough gear for a few days, drop the main pack once I get far enough back and find a place to camp, then dock-n-lock my E&E and a small pod to the removable frame for the day hunts. It's a really good setup and much lighter.

Also, after 21 years in the military gear checklists have become my SOP. If you'd like, send me a PM and I'll e-mail you my Excel checklist. At the very least you need to be writing down everything that comes to mind then deciding if it's a nice-to-have or a must-have.

kutenay
08-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I have been doing my semi-annual gear check the last couple of days as the season draws near and I divide my gear into specific camps for specific purposes, i.e, "base camp" of K-8-man tipi, Hilleberg Saivo tent and so on, "winter camp" of Integral Designs MKI-XL tent and so forth and a basic and light hunting camp plus my summer backpack camp used largely for alpine lake fishing.

This allows me to very quickly gather and pack what I actually NEED for a given excursion and the use of master lists developed from the camps I have put together assists my fading, elderly memory in bringing what I NEED and nothing I do not.

I have now hiked the mountains of BC for over 53 years, backpack camped and hunted in them for over 45 years and I find I am ALWAYS learning and often doing things a bit differently than the last time I was on the same hunt in the same spot. So, do as others suggest and take a few "practice" trips and get YOUR gear together with YOUR head...as we used to say in the '60s, long, long ago.

I would not bother with a shovel, trowel or anything like that, I use a 2" stick to gouge any trenches for tipi runoff I might need and if that works in wet B.C., it will work in the much drier Rockies.....and your weather is SO much nicer!

Sawtooth
08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I can send you my gear checklist. I'll shoot for tomorrow.

rnd3789
08-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I don't know what all is in your survival kit, but it should include all meds you normally take or might need. Examples---Ib eprofin or Aleve, antibiotics or pain medication of significant strength to get you through, Benedryl for stings and asprin.

Carrying medication for all senarios is the lightest and less bulky kit you can pack.

Also duct tape. Small roll, a million uses.
Good luck,
Nick

Bushcraft
08-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Solid advice with regard to shakedown trips. The more, the better.

You'll invariably end up realizing - especially if significant mileage and elevation gain/loss are factors during these trips and your planned hunting trip, that you've packed a bunch of essentially useless minutea that you simply don't ever use while afield (aside from your FAK)...and can thus be culled from the packing list, thereby saving you some amount of load-out misery. As the saying goes, "Take care of the ounces and the ounces will take care of the pounds."

WRT packing lists...Like everyone else, every trip I take is different, whether it be a dayhike, quickie overnighter, weekend long-bomb, mid-week hunt, weekend hunt, or a 10-14 day fully self-contained hunting trip for deer or elk. Thus the packing lists and needs for each are markedly different.

One can go crazy forever refining and compartmentalizing specific loadouts to be ready at a moment's notice for particular adventures. These carefully crafted and much thought out load-outs are invariably raided for one thing or another and then one has to replace the stuff from whence it came after coming home. To my way of thinking, specific load-outs are fun for off-season daydreaming, but are essentially a waste of time.

To get around this time-wasting problem, I invariably ended up just chucking the stuff I know I needed, and way more crap than I would ever need, into the rig and chalked it up to the "be prepared" thing, and quickly packed my load-out at the trailhead. While this saved me time, it can waste the time of others if I'm not going solo. Then too, there's all this valuable gear stowed in the rig at the trailhead (albiet usually in a secure lockbox.) And yes, it can suck a little to do the packing if there is inclement weather at the TH.

So, lately, in an effort to improve the process, I've found it MUCH more advantageous to have a refined, Excel-based Master List broken down into Clothing (Feet, Legs, Torso, Head & Neck), Gear (Basic, Shelter, Other) and Firearms (Rifle, Pistol) and Luxury (Coolers, camp chairs and the like). Every item of clothing and gear that I own that I've determined is worthy of being on this backpack/hunting/fishing related Master List can be found in its rightful place on the list. Then, when it comes time to hit the door I simply run through it from the ground up like a shopping list checking off whether a particular item is Mandatory vs. Optional given the expected conditions for the planned excursion, print the final list, pull the gear from the rack, pack it in the best backpack for the trip and hit the road. I'll still throw a duffel bag or an action packer in the rig with a few Optional pieces of gear & food that I might actually deem Mandatory when I get to the trailhead (mostly due to my mood and/or weather conditions).

Anyway, I've had great luck with the approach. You might give it a shot.

Lost Arra
08-13-2009, 05:26 AM
>>much drier Rockies.>>

At least for the past two elk archery seasons, I have not found this to be the case in S. Colorado. Good rain gear that will keep you dry through extended monsoon-like drenchings is mandatory. This is the only area I added a few ounces to my pack.

bamboobow
08-13-2009, 06:34 AM
I'll jump in and thank everyone for the info, I can use it too.

Saw, I can't reach your sight either but I already have your list, thanks.
-
-

kutenay
08-13-2009, 06:42 AM
It becomes clear that different people have different methods of doing things, as one might expect, given the large variation in conditions, interests, experience and just personality traits one finds on a forum of this sort.

In my case, most of my early bush experience/training came from my employment just after high school with the BCFS. We had "fire packs" and other "packs" for specific tasks and we had simple, but, effective checklists to both build and replenish these every season and to check off any equipment damaged or lost while on active duty....they were REALLY strict about that as government-tax-funded agencies OUGHT to be.

So, I have mulitples of certain gear items and never use the same sleeping bag(s), tentage or packs for hunting as I do for winter camping-snowshoe treks or for fishing. By keeping these on separate shelving units and attaching master check lists to each of these, I can grab what I need, check it off and pack my stuff and go, with the least time and effort....as this approach is what I am used to doing.

A different person or someone who is close enough to their vehicle can or may leave gear there for later retrieval, but, I do not as we often fly in or even ride those spine-snapping creatures known as "horses" and are a long way from the truck. Everybody seems to develop methods that suit them and their circumstances and I like to "practice" with new gear a bit before using it and thus am more comfortable with it.

I would suggest trying a few different methods and seeing what you feel most comfortable with.

rayporter
08-13-2009, 07:54 AM
it is sure hard to add to what has been stated. as kute says we all evole and adapt to our conditions. you just have to jump in and go to find out what works for you. that first step can be hard but after that you got it whipped. trial runs are necessary.
i carry a tomahawk to pound pegs and split wood. it is not ideal. but it is light and breaks down into a very small package. i usually have a saw to get antlers off and cut leg bones too.
the alaska game bags are pretty heavy to pack up a mt. you might look at tag bags. they are a lot smaller and lighter. for the wt and volume of one alaska game bag you can probably carry 4 tag bags.

Sawtooth
08-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Sorry guys, looks like my website is down. I'll investigate. In the meantime, if anyone wants my gear list (Excel), just PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you.

Tim in Washington
08-13-2009, 08:29 AM
+ 1 on the TAG bags,actually a set of 5 with the included carry bag weighs what one trad. cotton bag do'es

Lost Arra
08-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Everyone mentions eliminating stuff you aren't using on your elk hunt.

Based on recent history I guess that means I'll leave the game bags at home :(

Heck I may leave my arrows at home too!
I can always use my bow for a tent pole.

sab
08-13-2009, 08:39 AM
the alaska game bags are pretty heavy to pack up a mt. you might look at tag bags. they are a lot smaller and lighter. for the wt and volume of one alaska game bag you can probably carry 4 tag bags.

I've seen this same comparison between the Alaska game bags and the T.A.G. game bags written several times, but it just isn't true. I think there is confusion as to what an Alaska game bag is. Here is their web site:

http://www.alaskagamebags.com/

I only have personal experience with the 48" Alaska bags made for deer. I've weighed them, and they weigh 12 oz for five bags. According to the T.A.G. bag manufacturer, their set of five deer-sized bags weighs 18 oz (with stuff sack) - 50% MORE than the Alaska bags! I'd guess that a comparison of the elk bags will yield similar results, but the maker of the Alaska bags doesn't list the weight, and I don't own any, so I can't make a comparison.

I think both bags are excellent options, but I decided to stick with the Alaska bags to save 6 oz. The moral of the story is don't discount the Alaska bags solely based on weight, since they may actually be lighter!

Regards,
Scott

disillusionedpatriot
08-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I generally carry 50' paracord, but I was concerned about hanging my food and game to keep it from the bears.
Paracord is pretty light but 50í seems a bit much.

I will be carrying a Gerber Exchange a blade (Cape, Boning, small saw) and a longer brush/bone saw. The Exchange a blade has done very well on deer/antelope sized prey. Anything I am missing? What about game bags? I have one Kifaru meat baggie for hauling boned out meat. My general plan is to quarter and hang the meat if I am so lucky as to harvest an elk. Prior to packing it out, I was planning on de-boning everything.
How much does all this stuff weigh? Iíd skip the bone saw and just plan on carrying a good knife. You donít have to saw anything. Also, I donít think youíll be carrying elk quarters out. Plan on boning out the meat if you carrying it out.

I was considering an axe, but would rather not carry the extra weight if possible. What about a shovel/trench tool? I will also be carrying my trusty Gerber multi-tool. Any other recommendations?
On a backpack trip definitely leave the axe and hatchet at home. Not needed. Multi-tool is just extra weight as well. Think like a mountain climber in terms of weight.

Rain Gear and Clothing
OK. Make sure itís lightweight gear.

Sleeping (pad, bag, shelter, stove)
OK.

Food and Food Prep (MRE, dehydrated, power bars, trail mix, etc...)
OK.

Water (Bladder, 1L bottle, pump filter, purification tabs)
Why the belt and suspenders (filter and tablets)?

Survival/FAK
Not sure whatís in this?

Personal Items (toothbrush/paste, sunscreen, bug spray, soap, wipes, etc...)
OK.

Hunting Items (game calls, bow/arrows, face mask, etc...)
The absolute minimum.

Navigation (maps, gps, compass)
Do you really need the gps? How much does it weigh?

Anything major that I am missing?
Get a copy of the ten essentials and make sure you have all of it.

Any general recommendations that any of you care to make?
Get a scale and weigh your items.

Binoculars
Not always necessary.

Spotting Scope
Leave this at home, too heavy.

Rangefinder
Leave this at home also.

Hunting Tag/License
For sure.

Spare Batteries (as needed)
Be careful about having too much electronics and too many batteries for them.

SPOT Beacon or Sat. Phone or Other Beacon (IMHO, a must have for a solo trip)
YMMV.

Cell Phone (they do sometimes work when you get up high)
Leave this in the car at the trailhead.

Small LED (for in the tent)
No. Just carry a good headlamp.

LED Headlamp
Yep.

Digital Camera (for getting a shot of that trophy!)
Ok.

Garbage Bags/Ziploc Bags (very handy)
Ok. Donít carry those ridiculous heavy cotton game bags.

Kmassaro
08-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Darn it, Lost Arra, you had the same problem on the pig hunt. Better get a new bow!!!

sab
08-13-2009, 10:46 AM
disillusionedpatriot:

I agree with many of your comments, but I have to respectfully disagree with your comments regarding the following:

Spotting Scope
If you are in an area where glassing is easy and you are trophy hunting, you can save miles and miles of hiking by glassing effectively to find that trophy. Having good binoculars and a spotting scope allows you to do this and may be worth the weight penalty (it is to me). Of course, if you're in thick country where glassing is not possible, it's just dead weight...

Rangefinder
The OP is bowhunting, where accurate judgement of distance is critical to successful shot placement. Unless you are a very accomplished judge of distance, a rangefinder can assure that you won't blow your shot after you've spent hours stalking that 400-class bull!

Cell Phone
If you hunt within a mile of the road, a cell phone may not be necessary (ditto a beacon) since you can probably just shout for help or fire the 3-shot distress signal for all to hear. However, if you're in the middle of nowhere, and seriously need help quickly, you may be able to crawl to someplace and get a cell signal, tell the 911 operator what your issue is, and have informed help there as fast as a chopper can get there, as opposed to waiting several days for someone to realize you're missing and send a recovery team for your body. My Motorola phone weighs about 3 oz, and that's cheap insurance for me, but to each his own.

Small LED
I carry a Photon Micro Light II (http://www.photonlight.com/Photon-Micro-Light-II-Keychain-LED-Flashlights-p/p2-keychain-led-flashlight.htm) for use in a tent or under a tarp, clipped up high so it works like a ceiling light. It weighs nothing (okay - .01 pounds), lasts for 12 hours on a single battery, but it saves the heavy batteries in my headlamp so that I don't have to carry spares. It also gives me the belt-and-suspenders redundancy of having a second source of light if the headlamp fails for some reason. It gives off enough light to perform most camp functions. I highly recommend it.

These things work for me as noted. I've done my gear shakedowns and decided to keep them on my list. As noted previously, everyone's list will be different, and I respect that.

Scott

CCH
08-13-2009, 10:53 AM
DP offers good advice. I do carry my cell because there have been enough places that it will work that's it's worth the couple of extra ounces (mine is fairly small and archaic). I think a GPS is worthwhile but mine is only 3 ounces with batteries. I don't use it to navigate much (as in "go to"), more just to confirm position. Large and XL Zip-Locs (frequently in the sporting goods department) work as game bags and I believe they are food grade. I like them because they are double duty (can use as pack liner or to waterproof gear) and I seldom actually need them as game bags. ;) I like having an extra light like the Photon because electronics can and do fail and being without light can be a real hassle. Photon type lights can also be hung from the ceiling of your tent and put to good use. I just wouldn't bring anything inordinately heavy.

disillusionedpatriot
08-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Spotting Scope
If you are in an area where glassing is easy and you are trophy hunting, you can save miles and miles of hiking by glassing effectively to find that trophy. Having good binoculars and a spotting scope allows you to do this and may be worth the weight penalty (it is to me). Of course, if you're in thick country where glassing is not possible, it's just dead weight...

Usually just dead weight and too many extra oz. Not something I'd bother with on a first-time hunt.

Rangefinder
The OP is bowhunting, where accurate judgement of distance is critical to successful shot placement. Unless you are a very accomplished judge of distance, a rangefinder can assure that you won't blow your shot after you've spent hours stalking that 400-class bull!

Stalking this seems pretty unlikely. Stand or blind, OK but then why not just pace it off in advance. One more thing requiring batteries, more oz. and more bulk.

Cell Phone
If you hunt within a mile of the road, a cell phone may not be necessary (ditto a beacon) since you can probably just shout for help or fire the 3-shot distress signal for all to hear. However, if you're in the middle of nowhere, and seriously need help quickly, you may be able to crawl to someplace and get a cell signal, tell the 911 operator what your issue is, and have informed help there as fast as a chopper can get there, as opposed to waiting several days for someone to realize you're missing and send a recovery team for your body. My Motorola phone weighs about 3 oz, and that's cheap insurance for me, but to each his own.

It's the oz's that pile on. Yeah it's great to have a cell phone for once you get back to reception. Most likely to call for vacancies at the nearest hotel when you're late getting out and too tired to drive home.

Small LED
I carry a Photon Micro Light II (http://www.photonlight.com/Photon-Micro-Light-II-Keychain-LED-Flashlights-p/p2-keychain-led-flashlight.htm) for use in a tent or under a tarp, clipped up high so it works like a ceiling light. It weighs nothing (okay - .01 pounds), lasts for 12 hours on a single battery, but it saves the heavy batteries in my headlamp so that I don't have to carry spares. It also gives me the belt-and-suspenders redundancy of having a second source of light if the headlamp fails for some reason. It gives off enough light to perform most camp functions. I highly recommend it.

Well actually, I just carry two headlamps and no spare headlamp batteries. Serves as both spare batteries and spare bulb in one neat spare package.

For a person new to hunting from a backpack I'd be VERY severe regarding weight and fussy, fancy gear. Keep it simple, until proven it's necessary.

brianakee
08-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Paracord is pretty light but 50í seems a bit much.Paracord is one of those things that I never leave home without. It has about a million and a half uses. I keep it in my truck, car, and on my motorcycle. Its something that I use on a regular basis. I carry it in standard 50' bundles. In any case, my concern with having enough rope is dealing with meat and food products in bear country. I want to make sure that I have enough to hang meat and food high enough to keep the bears out of it. I have never had to deal with hanging meat/food before, so I am really just guessing on the quantity. I will be bringing 50' of it regardless of this specific need, and its easy enough to bring an extra 50' bundle. Besides, it seems that one could easily use up 50' by hanging four elk quarters 10' off the ground. Then again, I have zarro experience at hanging elk quarters.

How much does all this stuff weigh? Iíd skip the bone saw and just plan on carrying a good knife. You donít have to saw anything. Also, I donít think youíll be carrying elk quarters out. Plan on boning out the meat if you carrying it out. I would probably follow this advise regarding the saw, but I have found it to be useful in many circumstances. Clearing brush, cutting firewood, cutting the pelvic bone of a deer, making the quartering cuts on a deer, etc.... For my first experience cleaning an elk, I want to make sure I have a decent saw handy.

Why the belt and suspenders (filter and tablets)? Actually, the tablets are in my Survival/FAK that stays in my pocket. So sure its doubling up, but I wouldn't use the tabs unless I was in a situation where I didn't have my filter.

Do you really need the gps? How much does it weigh? Need, probably not, but useful enough that anytime I am in the wilderness I carry it. Its good for navigation when needed, and it allows me to verify my navigation skills (or lack thereof).

Be careful about having too much electronics and too many batteries for them.Agreed, I only carry my GPS and headlamps. Instead of carrying extra batteries, I generally carry a spare lamp. Last year my headlamp fell out of my pocket while I was hiking. They are very light weight.

CCH
08-13-2009, 11:24 AM
It's the oz's that pile on. Yeah it's great to have a cell phone for once you get back to reception. Most likely to call for vacancies at the nearest hotel when you're late getting out and too tired to drive home.

Yup, that's always the thing. That's why a scale and a spreadsheet like Sawtooth's are some of the most valuable tools you can have. Every time I hit that red X I know exactly how many ounces (or tenths of ounces) I've piled on. However, I've run into enough places with reception here that I think the phone is worth it, particularly if solo. YMMV I should add that if I KNOW I won't get reception in that area, it stays in the truck.

brianakee
08-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Yup, that's always the thing. That's why a scale and a spreadsheet like Sawtooth's are some of the most valuable tools you can have. Every time I hit that red X I know exactly how many ounces (or tenths of ounces) I've piled on. However, I've run into enough places with reception here that I think the phone is worth it, particularly if solo. YMMV I should add that if I KNOW I won't get reception in that area, it stays in the truck.

Interestingly enough, I have been told that in a few places I should have cell phone reception.

sab
08-13-2009, 11:42 AM
For a person new to hunting from a backpack I'd be VERY severe regarding weight and fussy, fancy gear. Keep it simple, until proven it's necessary.

Very well said. As a recent rookie myself, I can tell you that even with the spreadsheet and a scale, the newbie still has no appreciation for the actual weight - it's just a number in a spreadsheet. It was not until I started hiking/camping with my gear that I gained the appreciation for lightweight gear and for leaving stuff home. Most flatlanders (like me) spend time on their fitness and on marksmanship, but how many work on basic hiking and camping skills? I found it very valuable to hike and camp with my gear even here in Texas prior to heading for the high country.

Scott

RD Martin
08-13-2009, 12:04 PM
I carry ONE sharp knife. Only use for a saw on game would be cutting off the skull plate. All quarters or joints are easily cut off with a knife including head if a euro mount is desired.

Rangefinder is advised for new areas......especially on different terrain and surroundings.
I still carry mine and still range a few stumps or trees just to check myself if I have a bull coming in vocal.

Spotting scope for actually hunting and not a scouting trip....not me but I hunt timber country.

woodfolks
08-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Take a look at two books by
Collin Fletcher
The compleat walker
and The man who walked through time
These are not hunting books but great backpack books

The stove I would go for is the Nova pluss
I have used wisperlites, Sveas, colmen and such
but the Nova pluss is great
If you are going to bring a wood stove and Kifaru tipi
I would bring a saw. The folding bucksaw gets my vote fitts in a tube that is the handle
I offer this from a lot of backpacking experiance but not Elk huntting Just Deer

Gregdoo
08-13-2009, 02:25 PM
I like to carry a few strong (US made) zip ties.....one for attaching the tag to the animal and a couple in case a critical piece of gear breaks or tears. Not absolutely "needed" but have been very handy.

Also a "mini space pen" for filling out the tag in any weather and possibly marking a map. http://www.spacepen.com/bullet.aspx

I also carry a tiny notebook to keep notes about game spotted, etc. Not essential, but I guess I feel naked if I can't make notes.

A whistle is good to have if going solo.....one of those "storm" brand whistles is loud and light. http://stormwhistles.com/

Speaking of loud, I also carry a pair of foam earplugs. I keep them in my pocket to stay warm and mallable as well as handy. In a couple cases I've had time to put them in before squeezing the trigger at game. A buddy fired his compensated .375 a couple years ago and he was basically deaf for a half hour afterwards. If he had had to track a wounded animal through timber or dry leaves his ears would have been useless. It also affected his balance for a bit. My rifle isn't compensated, but after watching him (he missed the elk), I thought it was worth having them and their miniscule weight. (I know you're archery hunting....but others might find this helpful)

Something for cleaning optics. I use a microfiber cloth. The cotton handkerchef someone mentioned works too.

I realize these are added grams, but I've found them all useful.

Good luck! If nothing else, you'll learn a lot and have a lot of fun.

Gregdoo
08-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Also.....under personal items, some chap-stik with SPF 10 minimum. At one point, I found a scent-free version.

You might want to have the CO Big Game hunting regs in your car to study.....read the applicable sections in the first few pages a few times to fully understand. I do every year, and still find that I've forgotten something that could be important.

With your license, make sure you have the CO "Habitat Stamp" too.....it looks the same, just says "Habitat Stamp" on it. Need both to be legal.

CCH
08-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Interestingly enough, I have been told that in a few places I should have cell phone reception.

Depending on where you're at in Colorado, that's absolutely right. I can frequently get better reception up in the mountains than I can at the trailhead -- I almost never get a signal where I park. Sawtooth should put together a map showing Colorado reception but he has Verizon which puts him at a severe disadvantage. ;)

Sawtooth
08-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Actually, after comparing my Verizon service and Patrick's AT&T, I seem to get better average coverage. He and I have compared the two at quite a few locations, at trailheads, on the road, and in the backcountry. However, the vast majority of Colorado backcountry is NOT covered by either. I can't even get a cell signal here at the house! :D

CCH
08-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, but I could get a signal at your house...

berntboater
08-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Speaking of loud, I also carry a pair of foam earplugs. I keep them in my pocket to stay warm and mallable as well as handy. In a couple cases I've had time to put them in before squeezing the trigger at game. A buddy fired his compensated .375 a couple years ago and he was basically deaf for a half hour afterwards. If he had had to track a wounded animal through timber or dry leaves his ears would have been useless. It also affected his balance for a bit. My rifle isn't compensated, but after watching him (he missed the elk), I thought it was worth having them and their miniscule weight. (I know you're archery hunting....but others might find this helpful)

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CWALTER%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CWALTER%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CWALTER%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; color:windowtext;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> Iíve done a lot of stupid things in my life, but the one thing I regret the most was shooting my .357 without ear plugs. A bunch of friends and I were camping up in the north fork of the Clearwater drainage in Idaho years back. We got back from a whitewater float and I decided to take a siesta in my four-wheel camper. I awoke to some friends shooting a .22 just off to the side of my truck. Now awake, I grabbed my .357, rolled out of the camper to the side of the truck they werenít on and decided to surprise them with a few booms. <o></o>
<o></o>
I think itís going on 5 years now and my left ear has a constant ring. My right ear has sounds mimicking water going through pipes inside a wall (best description Iíve come up with so far). My hearing in general has suffered. It seems I can hear ok when there are no back ground noises, but when there is a bunch of commotion I have to concentrate and look at faces when someone is speaking. Really sucks. Truly the one thing in my life I wish I could do over. <o></o>
<o></o>
Now, when I'm not hunting with a bow, I always try to use ear plugs. The problem is that during the chase I need my hearing and sometimes I have but a few seconds to squeeze off a round. Doesnít matter if they are around my neck or not, sometimes I donít get a chance to put them in my ears. Iím wondering if anyone has feedback on the Walkers Game Ear line of products?<o></o>

one-eyed Bob
08-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I have exactly the same problem with my left ear as you. I recently bought peltor shooting muffs with amplification and they work well. I bought these because the walker models fit only one ear and they looked uncomfortable. Interestingly enough, I never hear a loud shot while in the mountains; I think it is because the ground slopes away from me in most cases.

Wanderlustr
08-13-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't own any, so I can't make a comparison.

I think both bags are excellent options, but I decided to stick with the Alaska bags to save 6 oz. The moral of the story is don't discount the Alaska bags solely based on weight, since they may actually be lighter!

Regards,
Scott

And right you are Scott.
I have both and a scale. TAGs are about twice as much weight as the Alaska cheesecloth bag but Alaska Game bags also makes a transporter bag which is heavier than both. The difference is cotton vs. synthetic - I feel TAGs are worth the weight.

I was a logistic coordinator for a outdoor program for years and so this fun for me to read. This is another great thread with alot of very seasoned folks contributing.
I like Bushcraft's list method - Sawtooth's list with weights tallied is another useful way to get things organized and help you decided whether it is worth carrying or not. Like Kuteney I think everyone has their own system. I find I can almost always pick-up a new idea here and there.

My two cents from the couple things I remember from this threads comments - My vote is bring.... a range finder, Binos, zip ties are awesome as is a note book, - Cell Phone, having a cell phone has proven useful on more than a couple trips for me.
I think trekking poles are great for using when packing heavy meat loads.
A Bow sling.

Coffee is important enough it should get it's own spot on the list.

Goodluck and Enjoy the trip!

sab
08-14-2009, 06:22 AM
...Alaska Game bags also makes a transporter bag which is heavier than both.

I think part of the reason for the confusion is that the company name is "Alaska Game Bags", but they make two types of bags, one that they call the "Alaska Game Bag" and the other that they call the "Alaska Tranport Bag". People see the heavy transport bag and conclude that the Alaska Game Bag is heavy.

Myself, I'll use the light game bags to cool the meat when hanging, and then put them in a plastic trash bag when transporting if necessary.

This is another great thread with alot of very seasoned folks contributing.

Agreed - there are some folks on this forum that really know their stuff!

Scott

evanhill
08-14-2009, 11:50 AM
To get around this time-wasting problem, I invariably ended up just chucking the stuff I know I needed, and way more crap than I would ever need, into the rig and chalked it up to the "be prepared" thing, and quickly packed my load-out at the trailhead. While this saved me time, it can waste the time of others if I'm not going solo.

What Bushcraft fails to mention is that with his method you quickly find out who your real friends are. Just an added benefit.

disillusionedpatriot
08-14-2009, 12:24 PM
TAT, time at trailhead, can really screw up Friday after work departures.

Bushcraft
08-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Speaking of MTAT (minimal time at trailhead), anyone interested in scaling about 4300' with me just to see if the fish will take a fly? Pick some huckleberries, maybe tag a bear...you know, a fun August weekend.

disillusionedpatriot
08-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Hmmm....I had in mind about 2500' to do the same thing. Or even a particular location where all the E gain was driving. Hadn't decided which yet.

But hey 4300' is better than 2500' right? :-)

RD Martin
08-14-2009, 01:24 PM
I am thinking 5500' to one of my favorites to catch a few cutthroat. F&G bozo's advertised in the local paper they are getting ready to poison the lake to introduce a hybrid. Just burns my gr-ass. There goes that fishing spot for the next few years.

Smokepole
08-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Generally, on my WT deer hunts, I just hang the deer overnight if its cold enough, or take it immediately for processing. In this case, it may be several days before I can get my meat to a freezer. I am very careful when it comes to game prep, and I just want to make sure that I am prepared. .

I've hunted the muzzleloader season a lot, which is right in the middle of the archery season. If you're careful about where you hang your meat, you can hang it in a cool shady place and get away with leaving it hanging a day or two depending on elevation and weather. It usually gets warm during the day. We hunt at around 10,500 so the meat always cools off well overnight and meat hung in the right place will stay cool most of the next day; some years longer depending on the weather but I wouldn't plan on being able to push is too much past that.

We always have one large marine cooler in the truck, with block ice. You could use two regular-sized coolers though. That way we can drop off loads of meat and go back for more and not worry about it. That's the difference in elk vs. deer hunting, multiple loads and more time to get it all out of the woods. Once you get the meat on ice there's no hurry.

Also, no mention of this yet but plan on and make sure you're comfortable with boning out the meat, we're talking about saving ounces on the trip in by paring back on redundant gear but you can save many, many pounds on the trip out if you leave the bones in the field, elk bones are big and heavy. A couple of large trash bags in your pack really help to keep the meat clean while you're boning it out.