PDA

View Full Version : Colorad Hunting Area ?? for son...

CCH
08-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Dad was very, very bad, got caught up a bit too much in school and missed the deadline for applying for hunts this year. Were it just me, no biggie but it is my son Chase's first year hunting. I'm getting set to get him some leftover tags but could use some last minute input.

I'm trying to get him an area with both doe and cow elk tags for the second season. I have just a few choices that qualify:
3 (major drive but deer success is 55%)
18 (much closer but deer success is 25%)
34 (closer but deer success is 25%)
371 (closest by far, deer success 16%).

Elk success for all units ranges from 11% (3) to 13% for the rest (2008 figures).

The closer it is, the more scouting we can do depending on my school demands but I really want to give him a high chance of success on this hunt so I'm a bit torn. Naturally none of the available areas are ones I've hunted in the past. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Kmassaro
08-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Consider a leftover Wyoming pronghorn tag at $48.00, too.

Of the GMUs listed, I am no help, other than to suggest that you may want to hunt the 2nd weekend of the season, and not the first. At least at Muddy, if you were to be in an airplane looking over on the first weekend of the 2nd rifle season, it would look like a pumpkin patch.

Think 15 guys on the top of the ridge where you and I were bowhunting a few years ago.

CCH
08-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I know. However, at least we could get out two weekends. He's also off both that entire week for fall break and I may be able to finagle an extra Monday or Friday or both depending. Looked into the antelope tags and am considering that as well but the seasons aren't as good to fit the schedule.

34 and 371 seem to have smaller numbers of hunters (1,400 and 1,100) but are pretty small areas. 18 got almost 4,000 elk hunters last year. 3 and 301 got 4,500 and 3,400!!! 371 is the Eagle's Nest Wilderness so that may give us the opportunity to at least get away from it all a bit. Lots of drainages running along it. Might be the way to go and allow for as much scouting as possible. Guess I'll make the call. Thanks!

CCH
08-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Cow tags in unit 371. And ironically, some pals have quite a bit of experience there. Thanks for the input (here and in PMs)!

Sawtooth
08-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Check your PMs, dude.

CCH
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Did dude, call me tomorrow if you get the chance. Thanks!

ozarkrambler
08-12-2009, 04:32 PM
CCH, if the Elk/Deer thing doesn't work out this season you could let me "adopt" your boy for a week or so the first of Dec. and he could come help us shoot the deer off the back porch.

Just offering.

Ozark

CCH
08-12-2009, 05:30 PM
ozark, I couldn't let him go on such a venture unaccompanied so you'd have to "adopt" me as well. :D I appreciate the offer but I'm pretty sure he's still in school that early in December.

ozarkrambler
08-12-2009, 05:42 PM
School!! I'm pretty sure this would be something to miss a few days for. AS for you. You'd have to keep really well shaven, and we'd have to keep you a ways off the road, but we could probably pass you off as some kind of off-spring... you know, from my past.

Sawtooth
08-12-2009, 05:45 PM
ozark,

That would equate to a pretty colorful past on your part! :D

ozarkrambler
08-12-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm working on my story. I think I'm going to take a page out of Jon's play book, it starts like this...

So there I was................... and ends with either "and thats how I cheated death that day" or this "well you see Mr. game warden, I used to drink a lot and there was this one time, at band camp...... I'm still working on the details, but I'm sure it will be convincing.

CCH
08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Just don't tell me you play the flute... I really don't want to hear that band camp story from you.

ozarkrambler
08-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Just between you and me, I don't play any instruments. I was kind of thinking along the lines of the swimming instructor or cheerleader, you know, let your mind run wild.