PDA

View Full Version : backpack Stone hunt with G2 Siwash

sheep hunter
08-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Just returned from an 8 day backpack hunt in the Yukon for Stone sheep with my new G2 Siwash. Had my old side pockets on it and it worked great. It is probably the most comfortable full on backpack I have ever worn. Had about 60 lbs. or so had a hell of a climb on the way in 90 degree heat and fires to the south. After we set up camp I took off the side pockets and sucked in the sides and the bottom for day hunting. It performed flawlessly. The new suspension is wonderful and the lumbar pad WOW. Saw 30 or so rams but nothing legal. Maybe saw two 7 year olds. I think the residents pound this area pretty hard. A great hunt though made all the more enjoyable by the G2 Siwash. I also like the panel loading concept which I had never tried. I have had G1 Longhunters, Late Seasons, and Spike Camps. The new G2 is way better with weight on. Just my 2 cents. Great pack Patrick.

kutenay
08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I think that this season is going to be a "bust" for a LOT of sheep and other hunters in the Yukon, northern BC and the western NWTs.

The heat wave here was among the three worst we have had in well over a century of record keeping, it was about 104*F at Bella Coola and other places on the B.C. midcoast during the last two weeks, while entire towns were "evaced" due to forest fires.

We are having a bit of a respite in the weather, but, it is still VERY dry and the prognosis for the remainder of this fire season is pretty grim, IMO. Well, I am happy about it as it will open more Mulie, Elk and Sheep habitat and kill off a lot of Pine Beetles.

I spent over 20 years in fire detection and suppression and wish I was 35 years younger and was out there on "helitack" or running a good, big fire with LOTS of overtime for everyone. It is filthy, incredibly difficult, scary, dangerous and unhealthy work...and my buddies and I LOVED it.....kinda nutso, eh?

My buddy and I leave for northern B.C. on the 16th of next month, he has a RM Goat draw and "immature" bull Moose are open, plus Mulies and Whities, so, we have a week of that and then we drive down to the West Kootenays for his Elk draw, a cow and my attempt at a 6 point for another week.

This will be a very good season and much better IF we get NO rain until late October...hope, hope.

evanhill
08-09-2009, 09:14 PM
It is filthy... work

something like this? I think that guy on the left is actually asleep standing up, and leaning on his tool no less. Slacker like that needs a good boot in the @$$ to straighten him out.

sheep hunter, please rescue this thread with some pictures of your adventure. it sounds excellent!

sheep hunter
08-09-2009, 09:32 PM
No pix yet but it was smokey as hell almost the whole time. Fire was 20 miles south of us and it looked like night in the middle of the day most of the time you could not see the sun and the smoke was in layers. Not too good on the lungs climbing hills and breathing that smoke all the time. I don't see how you fire fighters do it. Very dangerous, extremely tiring, but rewarding work I would guess.

evanhill
08-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I was only a f/f during college. It came at a time in my life when I had something to prove, and being a hotshot fit the bill. Got a lot more hazard pay each year than the majority of folks in the armed forces during that period of time.

The smoke inhalation thing is very real. In the middle of my second year, I blacked out a little bit on the fireline. Doc diagnosed it as acute bronchitis. Said my lungs looked like I was a lifelong smoker. I can assure you that they don't look that way now.

Tundra Monkey
08-10-2009, 05:26 PM
July 18th......No probs in the NWT this year......resident DIY hunt

Only saw one full curl in the group so I hand signaled my partner into this one from the next mt....4 days of looking didn't find another that tweaked my interest. Maybe the 8yr old's I passed will be a little bigger next year.

Full blown blizzard for 2 days before we got in......20'C weather after that.

LH's were perfect

I'm now a huge fan of thermocell's

tm

chucknelson
08-15-2009, 09:28 AM
I think that this season is going to be a "bust" for a LOT of sheep and other hunters in the Yukon, northern BC and the western NWTs.

The heat wave here was among the three worst we have had in well over a century of record keeping, it was about 104*F at Bella Coola and other places on the B.C. midcoast during the last two weeks, while entire towns were "evaced" due to forest fires.

We are having a bit of a respite in the weather, but, it is still VERY dry and the prognosis for the remainder of this fire season is pretty grim, IMO. Well, I am happy about it as it will open more Mulie, Elk and Sheep habitat and kill off a lot of Pine Beetles.

I spent over 20 years in fire detection and suppression and wish I was 35 years younger and was out there on "helitack" or running a good, big fire with LOTS of overtime for everyone. It is filthy, incredibly difficult, scary, dangerous and unhealthy work...and my buddies and I LOVED it.....kinda nutso, eh?

My buddy and I leave for northern B.C. on the 16th of next month, he has a RM Goat draw and "immature" bull Moose are open, plus Mulies and Whities, so, we have a week of that and then we drive down to the West Kootenays for his Elk draw, a cow and my attempt at a 6 point for another week.

This will be a very good season and much better IF we get NO rain until late October...hope, hope.

And to think we are drowning down south on the east side of the slope. It has been colder with more rain this summer than I can ever remember.