PDA

View Full Version : Scout without belt? tilt!

careca
08-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi,

Anyone have any experience using a scout/daystalker WITHOUT a belt. Mine just seems to tilt way back (i.e lumbar pad against my lumbar area, top of the pack tilting back). I realise this is a downside to short stays but is there a way to minimize this?

Thanks

evanhill
08-08-2009, 04:30 PM
some of this will be unavoidable. try shortening the torso length (the distance from the shoulder straps to the TOP of the pack). also make sure the stays are properly contoured to your body.

25C
08-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Anyone have any experience using a scout/daystalker WITHOUT a belt. Mine just seems to tilt way back (i.e lumbar pad against my lumbar area, top of the pack tilting back). I realise this is a downside to short stays but is there a way to minimize this?

FWIW, I noticed this on mine also. Annoying. :(

Really didn't want to have to wear my belt with the Scout, but...:(

Mel
08-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Hey guys, this comes up every now and again, but the Scout was designed as a lumbar pack, not a backpack. Lumbar packs need a waistbelt for optimum performance. Sure there are guys that insist on using a Scout without a waistbelt, and just the shoulder straps, but it will never carry "right", trust me on that. For shoulder only carry, the E&E or Xray is the way to go in that size range. You can hang anything on your back with shoulder straps, but it works much better when it is designed to be carried that way. Hope this helped.

Mel

docw
08-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Hey guys, when I got my G2 Scout I noticed that the top leaned way back even with a belt on. I messed around with it and discovered the stays were installed upside down. I took them out flipped them and put them back in and have never had a problem since with or without a belt. It lays completely flat on my back now.

25C
08-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Hey guys, when I got my G2 Scout I noticed that the top leaned way back even with a belt on. I messed around with it and discovered the stays were installed upside down. I took them out flipped them and put them back in and have never had a problem since with or without a belt. It lays completely flat on my back now.

I'll try that and see if it fixes it for me...thanks!

careca
08-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Checked my stays against my spike camp stays and there was indeed a great deal of lean back in the daystalker/scout stays. corrected it to match the lower portion of the spike camp/express stays and its MUCH better. But, i can see Mels point in that with just shoulder straps this pack will never sit real well.

docw
08-09-2009, 02:07 AM
Especially with the G2 Scout it seems there needs to be more bend away from the body at the bottom to accommodate the thicker lumbar pad. My Scout actually came with the close to the body bend behind the lumbar and the away from you bend up top causing it to lean out.

Pardner
08-09-2009, 03:42 AM
I wear my G2 Scout 95% of the time w/o a belt and it stays flat on my back after carefully fitting it. Got a smaller computer and with the smaller amount of stuff I carry, it has replaced my Xray as my EDC. I very much prefer the way it rides over the E&E -- the stays make all the difference.

I find that the mistake people make (that I made) is to position the Scout too low down your back. First make sure you adjust the straps by first putting the belt on where it is optimum then tighten the straps exactly like you would any other pack with the tri-bars centered in the section and at collarbone level (that way you always know where to position/tighten the straps/bag without looking).

Make sure the lumber pad follows the small of your back and with the straps adjusted properly, it should stay as if the belt was there -- the bulge of the lumbar pad and the tension from the straps (with the structure from the stays) should keep the bag up straight on your back. Of course as others have already said, the stays need to be properly bent otherwise you are just wasting your time trying to get it to fit properly.