PDA

View Full Version : G2 Lumbar Pad Seems Too Thick, Any Advice

Reid
08-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Hi Gang,

I really like my new G2 Long Hunter! Wonderful craftsmanship.

Fit is great. Only the lumbar pad seems too thick for me. Puts a bit too much pressure on my lower back. Anyone else had this? What was your remedy?

Thanks for advice in advance.

All My Best
Reid

evanhill
08-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Take the stays out and make the lumbar bend less deep.

Reid
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Good idea, I didn't realize I could access the stays. I'll have a look. This could be a real quick simple fit solution.

I have some old Dana packs where I've taken the stays out and bent them to form to my back.

Basically same deal here?

Have you done this with a G2 long hunter before?

Thanks so much!
Reid

evanhill
08-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Yep, basically the same deal as your old terraplane. I haven't done it with a G2 frame, but I have with a G1. To get to the stays, look for the little velcro straps at the top of the lumbar pad. They go through gromets. Undo those, the lumbar pad comes forward, the waist belt slips off the bottom of the frame and you're looking at the bottom of the stays. This can actually be done on the trail when the pack is fully loaded, but easier with nothing in it.

Reid
08-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Dear Evanhill
Thank you kindly for your advice, and detail instructions!

I will try it when I get home tonigt, and let you know how it goes.

Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, perhaps a bit too cautious with my new long awaited piece of gear...

Thanks so Much!

All My Best
Reid

evanhill
08-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Good luck! Once you get it dialed in, you'll be pleased.

You *will* find that these stays are harder to bend than those you've used before, being considerably thicker than any others I've seen.

Bushcraft
08-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Coincidentally, as Evan knows I had to tweak the stays in my LH G2 yesterday as the factory compound bend in te mid to upper back was not nearly straight enough and caused some initially alarming hot spots in my upper back. Ever the master of perfect pack fitting, Patrick advised me to make an outline of the factory contour of said stays prior to bending them in case I had to start over. Sound advice, as usual.

It is not rocket science to bend the stays to the contour that best suits your back profile, and it will undoubtedly take a little fine tuning to get it right, but it is nice to be able to return them to factory if you really screw things up somehow. Saves having to mail them back to Kifaru to fix.

And yes, they are considerably harder to bend than stays you might find on other packs. Downright beefy!

The Vigilante
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
do some research on how to bend the stays or just email the company on how to go about it. i think i remember reading somthing on bending the stays! I THINK

Reid
08-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the great advice, each of you have been kind to offer help!

Status Report:

Things are looking good! I did speak with the team at HQ and they were as helpful as always, mirroring the advice given here.

I did manage to bend just the lumbar area of the stays without even removing the stays. Worked well.

Another thing that I did notice is how well crafted the pack is. The Lumbar Pad is housed in a pocket that allows access to the lumbar pad itself. One could take out the foam pad (my own idea, not the advice of HQ) and gradually adjust the foam thickness to suit their taste. I didn't need to do that.

I'm completely confident that after loading my pack up and testing it on some long hikes, I will be able to "Tune the Fit" even further if necessary.

What a great pack. I have a G1 Late Season, and now this G2 Long Hunter...the two best packs I have ever owned. Including my old Montana made beloved Dana's.

Thanks Again!!!!