PDA

View Full Version : Quarter bags

rnd3789
08-03-2009, 08:24 PM
If I missed this topic before I apologize. I can't find it on my search.

I am thinking about picking up some quarter bags ( Kifaru ), to save some wieght and lots of bulk. Have you used them? Can you leave the quarters in as long as you would, say an Alaska game bag, in the shade and a cool spot, of course?

Thanks for any info.
Nick

Scoutin' Wyo
08-04-2009, 09:01 AM
I serached for "baggie" and came up with this http://kifaruforums.net/search.php?searchid=134564

Also, try "meat baggie" in a search.

Good luck!

John Havard
08-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Nick, the Kif game bags (including the quarter bags) are essentially zip-lock bags with a string tie at the top. For hanging meat I don't think they are ideal. For hauling meat - yes. But if you might need to keep your quarters or boned-out meat hanging for several days it needs to breathe - and the Kif bags won't allow that.

The best compromise for light-weight, compact, and breathable that I have found are these:

http://www.pristineventures.com/products_gameBags.html

rayporter
08-04-2009, 07:29 PM
i second the tag bags listed above.

gonehuntn
08-04-2009, 10:46 PM
We used the Kifaru quarter bags last year and I have to agree with John; they aren't the best for hanging. However, they are great for that initial load of back straps and tenderloins.

I bought some bags from this site for my elk hunt.
http://www.20sub3.com/product_p/mcgbq.htm

I saw an add for them in the back of an Eastman's Bow Hunting Journal Magazine. They are as light as the Kifaru bags but breathable and are built pretty tough.

Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to try them out in September!

Kevin Dill
08-05-2009, 06:59 AM
Yo Nick,

+2 on the Tag Bags. Bryan and I took the Alaska Game Bags, but of course we didn't get to use them. This year I'm planning on buying a set of Tag Bags and will have them shipped directly to our air taxi.

The conundrum of meat bags is always strength (and protection) vs air circulation. For extended Alaska hunts I know that air circulation is imperative to get the meat cooled, dry (exterior) and glazed. Moist meat is most likely spoiling meat. I too looked at the Kif meat bags and felt that they would be good for initial transport, but not ideal for 6 days of hanging meat. The best way to hang meat is completely wide open and exposed to air, but protected from sun and insects. The silnylon fabric would not be conducive to air circulation, imo.

Alaska Game Bags work well, but seem a bit fragile. They mold right to the meat and insects can do damage on the surface. My strategy has been to put meat in the game bag, and then put that bag into a small strong plastic bag (trash compactor bags work) for packing away from the carcass. At the meat pole, remove the plastic bag and hang the meat to drain, cool and dry.

The Tag Bags look like the real deal to me. Strong, woven fabric. Meat can drain and air can circulate. Decent bug protection. Not heavy. Reuseable.

Kev

rnd3789
08-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks to all. John and Kev. I looked at the web site John provided and like what I saw and read. I am going to order some TAG bags. Nest question, and I know you two guys are thinking moose and the larger bags. Having dealt with elk quarters before but never actually measured them I am thinking the 25" X 44" bags would be the way I want to go.
Your thoughts????
Thanks,
Nick

Kevin Dill
08-06-2009, 04:06 AM
Probably right if you are talking boned-out meat packed on your back. Not many guys who could utilize a 28x60 bag and then pack that much meat. I think a boned-out moose hind quarter would almost fit in the medium sized bag...not that I'd ever try to carry one. It would likely weigh 90 to 110 pounds. Knowing you like I do, I'd say talk to the maker of Tag Bags and describe your situation. He should be able to put you on the right bags quickly.

Kev

John Havard
08-06-2009, 05:52 AM
The TAG quarter bags are big enough to hold a bone-in moose hq, so they would certainly be big enough for an elk bone-in hq. I own a pack of the TAG quarter bags but can't carry 175# on my back over the tundra and uphill to a landing strip. The only use for the quarter bags from TAG that I envision is to put the moose hq's into immediately after popping them off the animal. Perhaps (if a tree is nearby) you can hang the bone-in hq near the kill site while working on the rest of the bull. But for carrying boned-out meat they're needlessly large. I agree with Kevin that the mid-sized bags would hold a boned elk hq.

rayporter
08-06-2009, 07:41 AM
last yr i used the moose size for elk and bou. had a lot of extra bag to tie up. since we probably wont go for moose anymore they are over kill. dont get moose unless you really will use them. a whole whitetail might fit in one bag, hangin on the bone.

Kevin Dill
08-06-2009, 08:52 AM
One decent tip: Carry a small piece of tyvek (say 4' x 6') with you to the kill and use it for a clean surface to lay meat, etc on. That size tyvek would weigh about 3 or 4 ounces, and it can be washed and reused. Burn it when you're done. Ultra cheap.

Kev