PDA

View Full Version : Lowa Baffin Pro?

kutenay
08-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Does anyone here know of a store that stocks the Lowa Baffin Pro boots? I detest Gore-Tex in boots and want another pair of leather-lined boots for spares; I would prefer a store in WA or ID, as I am in Vancouver, BC.

The Vigilante
08-02-2009, 06:30 PM
I use both lowa gtx hunter and tibets. both gotex lined, both are awesome. Use the uninsulated and shorter tibet dwon to about 20*f and the gtx hunter much lower. Check Ebay for good deals.

jbird

evanhill
08-02-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm with you, GTX is nothing more than a nuisance in all leather footwear.

these guys in Seattle are worth a call:
http://www.marmotmountain.com

FWIW, REI stocks Asolo's (maybe slightly lighter weight) offering:
http://www.rei.com/product/694262

You might also call these guys out of Spokane:
http://www.mountaingear.com

And White's Boots in Spokane used to have some Lowas in the store. Don't know if they do anymore.

Further afield, Schnees in Bozeman stocks Lowas.

All of the above have online presences that *don't* list the Baffin Pro, but it's worth a call to see what they actually have in the store.

edit: Got to thinking that Bellingham being a college town ought to have at least one good independent outdoor store. Found this one: http://www.backcountryessentials.net. Again, at least worth a call to see if they stock Lowa and if not who does.

edit2: oops, the Asolos, although good boots, are cambrelle not leather lined. I do know the difference, and those Asolos aren't it.

Lost Arra
08-02-2009, 08:38 PM
www.bakershoe.com

http://www.bakershoe.com/lowa-boots-catalog/baffin-backpacking-boot-2114333937.html

Good guys to deal with.

bobmn
08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
A good all leather boot made in Italy without goretex lining is the Alico Tahoe. Lightweight and the price is right. www.sierratradingpost.com

kutenay
08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Thankyou all for your help, the "Baker Shoes" link is what I needed and I see they have an excellent shipping/returns policy to Canada, which simplifies my situation.

Lost Arra
08-03-2009, 11:43 AM
What's the beef with Gore Tex in boots?

I just go for fit, comfort, support but the presence or absence of a membrane is really not a selling point. I would like to try some boots with that glove leather lining.

evanhill
08-03-2009, 11:53 AM
What's the beef with Gore Tex in boots?

Not nearly as breathable as an all leather boot, and only a little bit more waterproof than a properly treated leather boot.

GTX makes some sense in the fabric leather hybrids, which are pretty much ready to be thrown out anyway in two years when the GTX has given out. A good all leather boot will far outlast the GTX lining, which results in a situation where the GTX isn't keeping your feet any drier from outside moisture, but is keeping them quite a bit wetter due to internal moisture that it is still trapping.

Lost Arra
08-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Not nearly as breathable as an all leather boot, and only a little bit more waterproof than a properly treated leather boot.

GTX makes some sense in the fabric leather hybrids, which are pretty much ready to be thrown out anyway in two years when the GTX has given out. A good all leather boot will far outlast the GTX lining, which results in a situation where the GTX isn't keeping your feet any drier from outside moisture, but is keeping them quite a bit wetter due to internal moisture that it is still trapping.

That makes sense. I know when GTX fails after a couple of years its like a faucet inside the boot.

Maybe I should start a new thread but what is a properly treated all-leather boot?

Obenauf's? Nik wax? Both? Neither? There is a lot of stuff advertised to "treat" boots.

evanhill
08-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Lots of opinions. About twice a year (on a hot sunny day) I:

- clean thoroughly with saddle soap
- lay in a fair amount of lightweight high viscosity oil (white's boot oil)
- finish up with 1-2 layers of low viscosity boot dressing (obenaufs LP or similar)

This give me something nicely breathable and waterproof enough to walk across (but not stand in) streams.

PAorBrooklyn
08-06-2009, 09:12 AM
My favorite non-GTX boot is the Scarpa SL M3.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___11128?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=11128

one911emergency
08-07-2009, 05:49 AM
I hate to undermine evanhillís post but I used oil to treat my all leather (leather lined) Alico boots, and Iíve regretted it every day since. The boots lost most of their support. Sure it virtually eliminated the break in period but the leather became far too soft. Thereís no set method for treating your boots. Some people use a silicone based waterproofing (others claim this is hard on the leather and adhesives that hold the shoe together), some use wax (but some suggest this compromises breathability), still others use oil. There seems to be somebody griping about the drawbacks associated with just about every boot waterproofing I can think of. Itís confusing really. You might have to try a couple of different things (and go through a couple of boots) before you find the right way to treat your boots. Iíve found that aqueous wax treatments (offerings from Danner and other companies) last about ten seconds in the field. When I use aqueous wax treatments Iím afraid to use my boots because they only look nice for one hike. And who wants to treat the hikers every hike. I personally like Nikwax past wax (the type that comes in the squeeze bottle). I just bought 2 bottles and it works pretty well. Though it darkens the footwear (not a problem for me), and another coat should be applied after the first one is allowed to dry. I think it has an aqueous wax component but there something else in this stuff that just seems to make the finish on the boot last a bit longer.

Ken
08-08-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm having pretty good luck with the G-paste wax that Lathrops reco for their Hanwags. I'm using G cleaner as well.

I like the fact that the G-paste can be applied to a wet boot as it is water based. Our hunting seasons are 2 mos. long and I only have to treat my boots a couple of times to keep them in top water-shedding condition. They would probably go all season with no problems, but treating them is so simple, I do it on occasion.

I'll usually rinse them off outside when I get home, then bring them upstairs to the bathtub where I scrub them with the cleaner and apply the first coating of paste wax. I then take the Dry-zone boot dryers that Lathrop supplies, heat them on the wood insert and pop'em in the boots. The warm Dry-zones seem to suck the paste wax right into the boot, and I'll give the boots 2-3 layers of paste wax over the course of the night.

I'm very satisfied with this system and my Hanwags look like they are still new after nearly two years. I don't use them as much as I'd like, but that's a whole nuther story...:D

medicjim
08-08-2009, 08:40 AM
A good all leather boot made in Italy without goretex lining is the Alico Tahoe. Lightweight and the price is right. www.sierratradingpost.com

I wish I coukld find these elsewhere, they look promising but Sierra does not have my size (9 wide)

one-eyed Bob
08-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Keep looking, I just bought a pair of 9W leather Alico boots from them. If you call they might have just a few left, in which case they don't list them on the net.