PDA

View Full Version : Scout Pack as Multi-Day Pack

bjones
07-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy my first Kifaru pack and have an interest in the Scout pack. Before I go ahead with the purchase, I have a question or two regarding the pack that I was hoping to get your opinion on:

1) Does it make any sense to place a sleeping bag (would probably be a 20 degree bag) into the smallest regulator stuff sack and place the compressed sleeping bag into the bottom of the Scout? Would that leave any room at all in the Scout bag for other items? Or should I just go ahead and get a pod for the sleeping bag.

2) Does anybody have any experience using the Scout as a multi-day pack in the backcountry? If so, any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated.

25C
07-28-2009, 03:54 PM
I just got my Scout...I don't even think I can put my compressed woobie in there and still have room for much of anything else. I'm going to either strap it to the bottom of the scout or put it in a pod on the outside.

I'm going to use mine to carry my laptop and then also for a small E&E type bag while on convoys. (Leaving the laptop at the FOB in those instances...)

Ralph
07-28-2009, 04:37 PM
I suppose the Scout could be multi-day with very careful selection of solo ultralight gear for mild weather - but not sub-freezing.

SnugPak Jungle bag, a 3/4 air mattress (not a pad but the type with inflated tubes) and one of the smaller sil-nylon tarps and a stove/cookset built around the MSR Titan kettle would fit along with a very compact food supply (vacuum-pack, not fluffy like Mountain House stuff).

With a belt-suspended pack like the Scout you have to be careful not to overburden and shift the center of gravity too much with Pods and such. The shoulder straps aren't designed to carry weight, but to keep the top of the pack from falling away from the body.

straps
07-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Do-able but not much fun. I've carried my FrankenScout with a Thinsulate poncho liner (Gen 0 Woobie--probably a bit larger than Kifaru's interpretation), a Therm-a-Rest Trail mat, three field-stripped MREs, a Whisperlite stove with a 1/2 liter of fuel, change of skivvies, a pair of MBITR batteries, sat antenna, spotter scope with ultralight tripod, camera, solio charger, med and hygeine gear and stuff for concealing and protecting a two-man OP.

What's missing (but essential?) WATER, carried in 2x 3L bladders (Camelbak for drinking, MSR Dromedary for cooking, hygeine and drinking) that went in the E&E I carried also. You could cook water down (requiring more fuel) or filter it (I carried an MSR straw, but there are pumps out there that will fit in a loaded Scout) if the environment is right (most definitely wasn't for me).

Why not just throw all this stuff in a Marauder? Because we were working far enough away from friendlies that the E&E was configured as a BOB while on site. My torso is long enough to carry a Scout and a wrenched down E&E. Luckily it never came down to abandoning my Scout. ;)

The Scout is a great pack, but it wouldn't be the only one I owned or even the first one I purchased.

Nake
07-28-2009, 07:41 PM
I am good with overnight and a half with the scout in california spring summer early fall I have added (2) 1 literpouches, malice claymore and 2 stash its and grab it.love the combo nice and compact.anymore than that zulu.

stevep
07-28-2009, 08:18 PM
my thoughts went out to you as a PM...good luck

docw
07-29-2009, 07:26 AM
The Scout is a great pack but you'll get the best use out of it if you have an Express or larger main pack with the Scout as a day pack.

bjones
07-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for sharing the experience guys. Think i'll pick up the Scout and worse come to worst, and I just can't swing it as a multi-day, i'll have an awesome day pack!

Cameron
07-30-2009, 01:45 PM
You can use a Scout as a multiday pack easily. Just have someone else carry your stuff for you.

Cameron

25C
07-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I think I'm going to pay an E1 or E2 to carry my stuff around...:D (Just kidding! :) )

The Vigilante
07-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Scout = daystalker

I am able to get my kif reg. 20* and paratipi inside the pack. I strap the stove to the back. Not enough room, at least for me. However, this pack, with the paratipi and bag,.. saved my back when i trashed my R1 on lolo pass last june 25th. I would rec. the express with a back pouch and two 650ci pockets. You could always strap the sleeping bag, tent, and sleeping pad in a stuff sack on the bottom. Did I mention an express..

jbird