PDA

View Full Version : MIL SPEC Sewing thread ?

brandmarc
07-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I am looking for some MIL SPEC olive drab, or coyote tan sewing thread. If you know where I can find some, please let me know.

Thank you very much

25C
07-20-2009, 09:56 PM
I am looking for some MIL SPEC olive drab, or coyote tan sewing thread. If you know where I can find some, please let me know.

Thank you very much

Yeah, me too...used to get mine from diy tactical but I guess they decided they didn't feel like selling it anymore. :(

Paragear sells #69 in many colors, but not foliage green (which is what I need), but they do have OD and tan. It's expensive though...$25 + shipping for 8 oz. That's the only source I know of, but I've used theirs and it is good.

Would love to hear of other sources as well, especially of mil-spec foliage green.

SuperBadger
07-20-2009, 10:20 PM
This place has it in sage green, kind of close to foliage right? Cheaper than Paragear.

http://djassociates.thomasnet.com/viewitems/thread-nylon-thread/thread?&forward=1

25C
07-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Paragear has sage green too, but the sage green thread I got from them wasn't very much close to foliage green at all...wonder if your place has a different shade of sage green...

Ralph
07-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Sage green is the color of the USAF flight gear.

Also, try owfinc.com

for thread. They have quite a range of colors in #69 nylon and sell by the pound (about $24/lb.-6500 yds.) in 1/4 lb. spools. They will also send you color samples. Unless you need to pass mil. spec. inspection close enough is good enough.

evanhill
07-21-2009, 10:50 AM
It's good to see all these options for #69. I don't know that DIY tactical *ever* carried thread as I never saw it in stock. My problem is #92. I recently carried webbing and fabric samples to seattle fabrics so I could pick a thread color in person. I ended up with "concord brown", which actually has quite a bit of grey in it. It looked pretty good against OD and Coyote. I wouldn't use tan against any mil color. Way too close to white. For Foliage, I'd try a charcoal grey. I think it would disappear.

25C
07-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Yes, DIY Tactical did indeed have thread last year before they "improved" (read: tanked) their website. I know because I got the foliage I have from them.

Paragear has #92 also...also expensive.

Tracy
07-21-2009, 04:26 PM
It's good to see all these options for #69. I don't know that DIY tactical *ever* carried thread as I never saw it in stock. My problem is #92. I recently carried webbing and fabric samples to seattle fabrics so I could pick a thread color in person. I ended up with "concord brown", which actually has quite a bit of grey in it. It looked pretty good against OD and Coyote. I wouldn't use tan against any mil color. Way too close to white. For Foliage, I'd try a charcoal grey. I think it would disappear.

Evan, This place has #92 in many different colors, including all kinds of mil-spec shades. I don't know how the prices compare to what you've found elsewhere.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=nylon-thread-092#Greens%20and%20Olive%20Drab

Tracy
07-21-2009, 04:31 PM

Thank you very much

See the above link in my post to Evan. They also have many shades of #69 if that's the weight you're looking for (most home machines can handle that size easily).

They also sell Kevlar thread and Fire Retardant thread if you'd ever have an occasion to need that :)

Ralph
07-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Unless you use a commercial machine be careful about anything heavier than #69 the heaviest generally that will work in household machines. #69 is very strong and you can always double stitch if you are concerned about it.

Speaking of DIY Tactical, what's the story with them? I've had an outstanding order with them for more than two months. Sent them e-mails with no response, tried calling and get an answering machine and no return calls. Are they in business or just screwing around?

25C
07-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Unless you use a commercial machine be careful about anything heavier than #69 the heaviest generally that will work in household machines. #69 is very strong and you can always double stitch if you are concerned about it.

Speaking of DIY Tactical, what's the story with them? I've had an outstanding order with them for more than two months. Sent them e-mails with no response, tried calling and get an answering machine and no return calls. Are they in business or just screwing around?

They're just ****ing around...they don't really care if/when they get orders from people like us. My understanding is they really just sell to large buyers and then sell off the leftovers to us...if or when they feel like it. I don't buy from them anymore. Since they redid their website, they took most of the stuff off that I bought before so I don't care about the stuff they sell now.

Ralph
07-21-2009, 05:58 PM
It's their business but that seems a touch short-sighted. They don't know who I am. Maybe I'm getting stuff for a prototype and tomorrow will order 1,000 yds. As my father used to say, "a paying customer is not to be despised."

25C
07-21-2009, 06:14 PM
You ought to go read their forum. You'll get an eyefull there. They basically said, "Don't ask us when product x will get in. We'll get it when we get it and we'll post it when we post it. We don't know. Don't gripe about it. You get what you get. You're not going to be able to get everything you want all at the same time."

Here's the thread where he talks about what he has, when, government orders "beating" someone to the punch, THREAD, etc...
http://www.diytactical.com/forums/index.php?topic=1256.0

They're actually pretty obistnant and obnoxious about it, in my opinion. I don't send them my money anymore. They don't need it anyway, they have plenty of "government" orders.

Ralph
07-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Everything in my order is listed as being in stock and available. I just sent them another e-mail. If they don't respond I'll just cancel the order. You don't stay in business by ignoring customers, no matter their size.

Push come to shove, my brother-in-law hunts geese with the attorney-general of RI, maybe he could jog things a bit.

The annoying thing is that they had everything I needed to make a small stream fishing pack in foliage green, a project I would really like to finish.

25C
07-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Everything in my order is listed as being in stock and available. I just sent them another e-mail. If they don't respond I'll just cancel the order. You don't stay in business by ignoring customers, no matter their size.

Push come to shove, my brother-in-law hunts geese with the attorney-general of RI, maybe he could jog things a bit.

The annoying thing is that they had everything I needed to make a small stream fishing pack in foliage green, a project I would really like to finish.

That's probably really frustrating...sorry to hear about that. It echos the problems I've had with them. I think I've had maybe one or two successful purchases with them in the past, but that was before they wrecked their website. I haven't even tried since the website redo because they don't show anything I need as being available, in particular any thread whatsoever.

evanhill
07-21-2009, 09:15 PM
I've probably done 5 orders with DIY, as recently as six weeks ago for some metal 3 bars. I've received all orders within a week. The fact that they are almost always out of stock of everything is frustrating. They are the only source I know of for fabric in mil colors.

evanhill
07-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Tracy, you're my new hero. ~$20 for a 16oz cone of #92 in milspec coyote, od, or foliage? I'll take it!

25C
07-21-2009, 09:38 PM
I've probably done 5 orders with DIY, as recently as six weeks ago for some metal 3 bars. I've received all orders within a week. The fact that they are almost always out of stock of everything is frustrating. They are the only source I know of for fabric in mil colors.

Paragear sells fabric in mil colors, it's just expensive. I have a few yards of their ACU 1000D Cordura and it's great.

I'm not meaning to come off as a paragear fanboi...it's just the only place I've dealt with that has mil-spec materials besides DIY Tactical...difference is paragear has the stuff in stock EVERY time I order. But paragear's shipping is outrageous. :(

Tracy
07-21-2009, 10:33 PM

Here's a source for fabrics. Again, don't know how the prices compare to where you're currently shopping. I've also only looked through their camo fabrics, so I don't know what they offer as far as military fabrics in solids.

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Hardware-Patterns-Kits/Military-Pattern-Camouflage-Fabrics;jsessionid=0a010b421f43506361a13de443449d8 cc50bbc7bad33.e3eSc38TaNqNe34Pa38Ta3aLa3v0

25C
07-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Hey, Tracy...

I looked at the links you posted for the thread and fabrics and wanted to thank you for sharing those resources! Looks like they have good stuff!

Does anyone have a source for the "toothed" zippers as used by SDS on the assault pack and all? Sure would like to find those in smaller quantities...(Ha! Found them on the fabrics link! :) )

I'm going to look at that fabric link again...I'm leaving soon and won't be taking the sewing machine, but may need to get some fabric for projects when I return. :)

brandmarc
07-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Thank you for all the help everyone. Found exactly what I am looking for.

Tracy
07-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey, Tracy...

I looked at the links you posted for the thread and fabrics and wanted to thank you for sharing those resources! Looks like they have good stuff!

Does anyone have a source for the "toothed" zippers as used by SDS on the assault pack and all? Sure would like to find those in smaller quantities...(Ha! Found them on the fabrics link! :) )

I'm going to look at that fabric link again...I'm leaving soon and won't be taking the sewing machine, but may need to get some fabric for projects when I return. :)

Glad they were helpful. Most of the sewing I do is horse show clothes, using lambskin, ultrasuede, and Swarovski crystals (rhinestones), but I also make the tough bags & cases that us crazy horse people use to protect expensive show tack. The sources for those materials have come in handy when I'm doing projects for Randy & I that are a bit more hunting/hiking related. :)

Ralph
07-22-2009, 11:09 AM
I found a source for FG Cordura @$8/yd,

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/Military_Cordura.htm

and Rocky Woods has everything else I need. It will be a genuine pleasure to cancel my order with DIY Tactical and tell them to go to hell. Thanks for the lead.

I strongly advise: DON'T DEAL WITH DIY TACTICAL. I do not find them trustworthy and their fine words about customer service and such is just so much puff.

landshark
07-22-2009, 11:19 AM
I was just informed about this thread by a friend who is a regular here.

Ralph,

I will look for your email ASAP and get back to you directly.

25C,

Sorry to hear of your bad experience and I'm glad to see that you have found an alternate source to fulfill your needs.

By reading your I do not believe we ever made a mistake on your orders and if we had I apologize. However that is not to say we never had made a mistake, we have certainly had our fair share, obviously Ralph is an example of something gone wrong, and we will do our best to fix it and try to figure out what we can do so that it doesn't happen again.

I will tell you that your perception that we are a huge operation only interested in large customers is incorrect. We are a small family run business going through growing pains like any other small business and the current economy does not make it any easier. We do have a diverse customers base to include companies like Kifaru, however our main focus is on getting products that are usually only available to large manufacturers to the average Joe. While we do have larger customers, the majority of our clients are small businesses and individuals.

The 2 year old thread that you referenced was not meant to be arrogant, my intent was to be honest with my customers. It would be difficult for me to explain how our business works in a few sentences but DIY Tactical is what I like to refer to as a micro niche business. Unlike our competitors we do not cross over into other product categories like parachutes or civilian and outdoor fabrics or finished military gear which supplement their inventory and is the primary revenue source. To them military textiles are a side offering not the core of their business. Unlike civilian colors such as red, blue and yellow etc. which are used in multiple industries, and are continually being produced by the mills, military textile production is a whole different animal.

Because we are such a specialized company I promote that fact we have a technical knowledge that other companies don't offer. I'd be surprised if an outdoor fabric company knew what NIR compliance is or that there is a difference between commercial grade and mil-spec UCP Cordura. But that is a whole other story. We are also very particular about the quality of the items we sell and where they are made, which further narrows our sources. I can get webbing made in china all day long but don't want to go down that road.

Anyway I do not want this to be a raving excuse or rant. Hopefully it will shed some light on the reasons why things are the way they are and again I am sorry that you are disappointed with our company. we will take note and continue to strive to make things better, we have some plans in process to try to do that, we will just have to see how it pans out.

Mike

Ralph
07-22-2009, 12:04 PM
I will BRIEFLY refrain from cancelling my order with DIY Tactical pending some response. Waiting 2 months for a simple order when ALL the materials were marked as in stock and available and are still so marked is unacceptable.

My e-mails were consistently ignored, my phone calls answered by machine and never returned. This is neither good customer service nor good customer relations. Apparently I am not alone in experiencing these problems.

My last job before retiring was editing a newspaper - without any assistant. Almost all of the communication was by e-mail - writers assignements and submissions, press releases, general information - the whole magilla at the rate of around a hundred per day. I would check my mail 3-4 times a day and respond almost immediately to those needing response. In between, I edited articles, did page layout for specialty pages, coordinated with sales and marketing and performed all the other duties of an editor with an absolute deadline when everything had to be done to get a 120-page newspaper out every two weeks - and never missed a deadline. I had 14-15 writers to manage, all of them fiercely loyal to me and who would take on any task I asked of them because I treated them with courtesy and respect, dealt with their concerns and answered their questions in a timely manner. So don't tell me how busy you are. If you don't know how to organize your time, I do.

My order # is 100...0144. Don't tap dance, don't feed me a bunch of puff, just fill the order and ship it to me - and start running your business like an adult.

I will keep the members informed.

Ralph
07-22-2009, 12:47 PM
I just got a phone call from Mike Rinaldi who tells me the order was just filled and shipped. By way of apology, the shipping cost was waived. Since I am fairly close to RI it should be here in a few days and I can get to work on my fishing pack. We'll see.

P.S. Seems I misunderstood. Mike credited the entire order - something I did NOT expect, but appreciate.

25C
07-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Well, I am glad they are fixing your problem, albeit slightly delayed.

Still no explanation about the glaring lack of stock, no thread whatsoever anymore, etc. though. Oh well. Glad I have other sources for that now. The waiting game (and aforementioned attitude) was getting old anyway...

Ralph
07-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Mike made good on his promise. All material arrived today from DIY Tactical. First rate material, nicely packed. I prefer praising someone for a job well-done to spanking thejm in public for a job done poorly. In fact, I have always followed the policy of praising in public, criticizing in private and would have done so in this case except that communication did not appear to be forthcoming.

Still, as my old pappy would say, all's well that ends well and I should soon have a neat little pack for my small stream fishing gear.

rick82gm
08-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Glad to hear you received your items. Please post some pics of your fishing pack. After reading this thread I'm intrigued to see what you have constructed!

Ralph
08-12-2009, 09:28 AM
When I saw DIY Tactical had netting in FG I decided to change the design a bit and use net sides in the pack for ventilation. The pack will hold wading gear that would commonly be packed wet. Net side vents would speed drying.

Now I just have to hope there won't be a problem with that order.

landshark
08-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Now I just have to hope there won't be a problem with that order.

Ralph, Your order shipped yesterday, we were closed Monday as it was a RI State holiday so it was packed Tue and shipped Wed.

You should have received an email with the tracking number.

Ralph
08-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks, Mike, glad to hear things are back on track. Your product line serves a very real need in the military/outdoors community.

P.S. I suggest including the fabric width in the description.

Ralph
08-14-2009, 01:32 PM
The mesh arrived today in good order. There are several variations of this fabric. One is the more open, softer texture mesh commonly used in clothing, another is the firmer, smaller mesh. What I got was the latter, which is good, because this mesh is easier to sew, being firmer in texture, and lends itself to pack use.

The project list for this material includes a small pack along the lines of the E&E for small stream fishing including wading gear (stocking foot waders and hip boots, socks, neoprene booties with roll-down cuff and wading shoes) and a light rain jacket. The rod is a Diawa 6.5' graphite fly-spin along with a telescopic wading staff and a compact net. The pack will have ventilating mesh sides to allow gear packed wet to dry. The front of the pack will be PALS covered. The back slot pocket will be padded with 3/8" Ensolite foam. The shoulder straps are a pair of Kifaru straps I got awhile back. Since the total weight of this pack and contenst will be well less than 10 pounds I am not including a belt and since I see this as a stand-alone pack, no provision will be made to attach to a larger pack. There will be comprssion straps. I'll have a chamber-type pocket inside for a small first aid kit. The front of the pack will have a padded reel case and a cover for the stainless steel US Canteen.

Another, related project is a creel with shoulder strap. The creel will have mesh sides and bottom, a padded back, front PALS over a slot pocket (for a compact net or rain gear). The front of the creel will probably have an accessory pocket - haven't decided yet, but the nice thing about the PALS grid is that I don't have to since I can add or remove a pocket at any time.

I'll still have quite a bit of the yard of mesh left so I plan on using it for stuff sacks and custom size pullout-type pouches.

I'll post some pictures when I get the stuff done.

Lab-Roamer
08-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey

I just recieved a HQ military surplus catolog from Sportsmans Guide today and they have OD govt. issued Mil spec sewing thread in there. It's a polyester/cotton blend in OD, 3 spools that are approx 2,187 yds altogether for $19.97.

Hope this helps

BuckarooMedic
08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I have one of the big spools of #69 mil-spec OD thread from The Thread Exchange. I can't use it, since it's on the big, commercial spool. If anyone needs it and wants to trade let me know.

I always had great customer service from DIY Tactical, but I agree with Evanhill, their lack of stock can be quite frustrating sometimes.

Take care,

Tracy
08-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I have one of the big spools of #69 mil-spec OD thread from The Thread Exchange. I can't use it, since it's on the big, commercial spool. If anyone needs it and wants to trade let me know.

If the issue is you can't use it because it won't fit on your home machine, then you need one of these:

http://equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=21967

You can find them at any local fabric store cheaper than at this link (even at a Walmart that has a fabric section), but that was the quickest link I could find to show you a pic.

Tracy

brandmarc
08-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey

I just recieved a HQ military surplus catolog from Sportsmans Guide today and they have OD govt. issued Mil spec sewing thread in there. It's a polyester/cotton blend in OD, 3 spools that are approx 2,187 yds altogether for $19.97.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the tip, I will have to check that out.

Marc

mb
08-19-2009, 04:09 AM
Buckaroo,

The big spool works just fine with a 'home-grade' sewing machine too. Never mind where the upper thread (small) spool is supposed to sit. Just put the big spool you have on the floor, and thread the upper thread otherwise as normal. Keep the route for the thread from the floor to the machine free, and it'll work as well as with a normal small spool on the upper spool pin. I do it all the time.

BTW, I too have dealt with DIY Tactical many times, and never had a complaint. I too wish they'd have more of their items in stock, and, also, that they'd continue to supply OD.

BTW2, DIYT advertises that they'll soon get Marpat-printed webbing, and that's good news for me, as Marpat WL works reasonably well with Cadpat TW. This should also be great news for someone planning on getting a custom '+10% +materials' Kifaru pack in Marpat.

evanhill
01-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Sadly, I've got to resurrect this thread. I've had a number of successful transactions with DIY Tactical over the years. That just ended.

On Dec. 24th I placed an order. Nothing backordered, etc. On Dec. 26th, my credit card was debited. Haven't seen or heard a thing since. Late last week, I contacted them via the form on their website inquiring about the status of the order. I referenced the specific order number. Haven't heard a thing, checked my junk mail, etc.

They really are a handy one stop source for a number of things that are hard to find. I don't know that I'll be ordering from them again though. If so, I will definately think twice and order elsewhere if I have the option.

Ralph
01-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Evan, if you look back on this thread I also had a problem which was rectified only after some postings here. I guess we will have to try that route to get your stuff. Dunno about these guys - if you want to be in business then tend to business. That includes answering e-mails and phone calls. Most folks will understand a problem but you have to tell them about it. Silence, in this context, is definitely NOT golden.

evanhill
01-27-2010, 02:19 PM
This is now resolved to my satisfaction. I ended up having to reach out to them through lightfighter forum. I don't know if the contact form on their website is broken or not. As I understand it at this point, the best way to get ahold of them is to call the number on the website and wait a couple of days for a response.

sab
03-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Just thought I'd revive this thread (pun intended) with praise for The Thread Exchange:

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/

They only had 16oz spools showing on their site, so I inquired about smaller spools, and they said they would wind some smaller spools tomorrow for me! I don't have a price, yet, but it was about $20 for the 16oz spools (#69 thread). I'm getting OD and FG #69 wound tomorrow. If you're interested in getting some wound at the same time, email Jerry there. His address is jerry AT thethreadexchange DOT com.

Regards,
Scott