PDA

View Full Version : Best Pack for Carryon + 2 Week Travels?

SurvivalPrep
07-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Hey guys,

I recently bought an ZXR with XTL which I love, but I'm going overseas for 2 weeks and need a smaller pack that will fit into the overhead compartment. What would you guys recommend?

jadias
07-20-2009, 03:55 PM
There have been numerous recommendations on here for the MOLLE Express with 2 Mini Longs and an Organiser, which will apparently fit into overhead bins and is carry-on compliant.

I'm going this route when I head to Iceland next month, plus a Medium Pod on the bottom for sleeping kit (doss bag, Thermarest, etc). I'll just check the Pod with some other stuff into the hold, and it should work out well I think.

RNAV(GPS)RWY 06
07-20-2009, 07:18 PM
MARAUDER/ORGANIZER. Combo worked great for a two week trip to Israel in April.

Medic17
07-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Get a standard lid for your Zulu and you will be good to go.
I am a 34 waist as long as I can buckle the belt around the pack (without adjusting it) it fits in the overhead.

25C
07-20-2009, 07:32 PM
+1 on the Marauder recommendation. I know for a fact it will even fit under the seat and have carried it onto the plane on several trips.

Sadly, I have been told my carry on must be smaller than that for military travel for some reason. Go figure. So I'm using my Scout for that. I think I may have my Marauder shipped over to me so that when my 2-week R&R turn comes up, I can actually fit some clothes into it.

Come to think of it...I didn't see any civilian clothes on the packing list...I wasn't planning on going back to my HOR for R&R...my commander said we would likely be authorized to go pretty much anywhere, so I was thinking of going to the MWR place in Tokyo.

So anyway, Marauder works great unless you are further constrained by exterior factors. :)

DocGP
07-20-2009, 09:23 PM
That pretty much sums up what I do with my X-ray. It works as carry on if you don't get too carried away with the weight.

Doc

SurvivalPrep
07-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys...

I'm not sure if the X-Ray will be large enough, as this will be my only bag and will need to hold 2 weeks worth of clothing + toiletries, etc.

I'm thinking that the Marauder would probably do the trick. I have an organizer, E&E, and PODS that I ordered with my ZXR -- would the E&E fit onto the back of the Marauder? If so, I might do that and add a POD on the bottom of the bag to hold dirty laundry.

Thoughts?

jadias
07-22-2009, 09:31 AM
The E&E will fit on the Marauder, yes. There's a little pic on the Kifaru E&E page (but I can't find a higher-res version).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/HaVoC_MaN/eepkt2.jpg

I'd D&L'd my E&E onto the front of my RAID pack before, and that's of similar dimensions (one PALS column narrower, I think). Worked like a charm.

rambler_wannabe
07-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys...

I'm not sure if the X-Ray will be large enough, as this will be my only bag and will need to hold 2 weeks worth of clothing + toiletries, etc.

I'm thinking that the Marauder would probably do the trick. I have an organizer, E&E, and PODS that I ordered with my ZXR -- would the E&E fit onto the back of the Marauder? If so, I might do that and add a POD on the bottom of the bag to hold dirty laundry.

Thoughts?

Unless you are a 2XL or bigger, you should be able to get two weeks of clothes into an Xray + a couple pockets, but I always found it a challenge to pack clothes in the Xray. A big, rectangular, panel loader like the Marauder is just made for packing clothes. And add a bunch of XL pullouts for holding socks and undies.

I don't think either one fits in the overhead with an E&E or pod D&L'd in place. I have been harrassed a couple times about the E&E or pod being a second or third carry-on.

FWIW, I have done a two-week trip with all my clothes in a medium pod. Easy to do if you have a warm destination.

SurvivalPrep
07-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys, just ordered the Marauder in CB. I'll be using a POD, my E&E w/ organizer, and 2 long pockets on the sides...

Pardner
07-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys, just ordered the Marauder in CB. I'll be using a POD, my E&E w/ organizer, and 2 long pockets on the sides...

That's my travel setup (plus the belt and gps pouch). Longest was 3 weeks 2 days for a trip in Nepal and India (originally planned for 2 weeks but it got extended).

One tip to make it more streamlined when flying puddle jumpers is to stuff the long pockets as much as you can then pack the stuffed long pockets inside the marauder. I find that compressing stuff into the pockets then compressing the bigger bag allows more stuff to fit in although everything will have creases. Also, I recommend using the belt since the Marauder gets heavy very quickly.

Another tip is if you are going through several airport checkpoints in one day -- say Lukla, Katmandu, Delhi, Chennai where you have to have a multitude of paperwork and airport checkpoints to go through, I move the organizer to the belt and now I have everything organized and right under my right hand plus depending on your dexterity with the clips, you can quickly detach the organizer to take with you to your seat for safe-keeping.

Bullfrog
07-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Long pockets was a good choice over the mini-longs - they are massive but compress to nothing when empty or lightly filled.

I have the same setup now except the Mollex instead of the Maurauder.

Enjoy!

docw
07-23-2009, 02:37 AM
I fly internationally all the time with and express, back pouch and 2 longs. It fits fine in the center aisle overheads and have never been messed with by flight crew.

SurvivalPrep
07-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Also, I recommend using the belt since the Marauder gets heavy very quickly.

Hmm, I didn't order the belt as I thought it would just get in the way of things. Do you guys think I should order it?

Bullfrog
07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Hmm, I didn't order the belt as I thought it would just get in the way of things. Do you guys think I should order it?

The belt and omni suspension system is what make the Kifaru packs really shine above the competition - this was the advice I got when trying to decide belt or not and I've found over the year that this is 100% absolutely true.

It will be the best $50 you spend - I use the the unpadded pals belt with power-pull and love it.

If you plan on carrying it loaded up and on your back for more than 30 minutes at one time... absolutely go for it. Your back will thank you and it makes it much more versatile and it stores easy enough in the water bladder compartment for when you dont need it - the unpadded belt is very non-bulky.

With that said, if its just a true leisure travel pack, where you are basically just wearing it to and from the airport, to your hotel, etc - It might not be necessary. I've done this now a few times and its fine loaded up for airport/hotel duty sans belt... Again though, if it were on my back for more than 30 minutes I'd opt for the belt to get that weight off my shoulders and on my hips.

steveb
07-23-2009, 01:59 PM
+1 on what Bullfrog says. I think you made a good choice with the Marauder for a travel pack. IME, panel loaders like the Marauder are ideal for vehicle travel, since you can pack and un-pack em like a suitcase. Also, the shape and shorter stays are ideal for bin storage, without compromising pack volume.

AbnMedOps
07-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Consider also some mesh internal pockets - these attach nicely to the PALS inside the lid, and make good organizers.

FWIW, I also employ a mesh pocket when going through TSA. I put all pocket metal, cell phone, watch, belt, dogtags, etc inside a zipped mesh pock, and put in the plastic tub. I can now more easily watch my property, the TSA clowns can see through it and are less likely to monkey with my stuff, and I can vacate the TSA CP ASAP, and go reclaim my dignity elsewhere at my own pace.

theotherphil
08-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Just a quick note....I've travelled internationally a lot recently with a pointman as carry on and had no problems (apart from once when it was weighed at 15kg).