PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Omni Yoke

NXP
07-14-2009, 11:14 PM
I've been looking at what I need vs what I'd like, and have some questions about the Omni Yoke system.

I really liked the hauler setup that Mel posted using the different Pods, but I think that the Hauler frame may be overkill for what I'd like to do.

Can the Omni Yoke system be set up as a "little brother" pack to the fully loaded Hauler? I'm not going to be carrying a huge amount of weight out, and I'm sure the Omni suspension could carry more than I could comfortably manage for a while.

A fully loaded OmniYoke with the the padded belt, a Pod and some Back Pouches, finishing with and XTL and a Grabit is my imaginary setup - I'd have all the options I'd like with a smaller system than the full blown Hauler.

Am I off my rocker?

steveb
07-15-2009, 08:32 AM
What is 'inside' the omni-yoke? Is there a foam or HDPE sheet or just a space with the stays? Will that space hold a full 3L bladder?

Sigo
07-16-2009, 07:23 AM
What is 'inside' the omni-yoke? Is there a foam or HDPE sheet or just a space with the stays? Will that space hold a full 3L bladder?

I have an omni-yoke G2.... there is an HDPE sheet, and aluminum stays inside. It'll fit a bladder, and there is a center loop inside the pocket you can hang a bladder on. There is also a drinking tube port.

I haven't carried my yoke much, but I have tried several configurations consisting of a medium pod, small pod, Scout, and two back pouches. This thing is sweet. I bought it to use in lieu of an assault pack and I have to say I had doubts at first, but it's versatility is amazing. It can fill the role of an assault pack/ 3 day pack or it can be a kind of assault pack-board. I can't wait to get back to AK and do some hiking with it.