PDA

View Full Version : ACOG question?

25C
07-13-2009, 09:08 PM
hey, all...

I was one of the top 10 shooters when we qualified at the range and was told I would be a designated marksman. As such, I am "supposed" to have a Trijicon ACOG mounted onto my M4. However, due to prior experience, it would not surprise me if the ACOGs are given to higher-ranking people that may or may not be in the top 10, simply because they "want" one. (Not upset...just sayin'...)

Anyway, all that aside, what are the chances if I purchase one from my own funds that I will be able to use it in Iraq? (We were supposed (there's that word again...:( ) to go to Afghanistan, but our mission got changed...and could get changed again, due to current events...no one really knows or if they do, we're not being told...again, not upset...just do not know...rolling with the punches here, "being flexible"...:) )

Is it all up to my CoC? What reason would they possibly not want me to have an ACOG, even if it's my own but exactly the same model as military issue (and yes, I will have a laminated copy of my sales receipt for it...I have heard some horror stories along those lines...)

Any ideas on this? I know, save the money and get more Kifaru stuff, huh? :)

(BTW, I was told I "get" to carry my stuff over in four military-issue duffle bags...cannot use a deployment bag, Pelican footlocker, etc. This is going to royally suck...I would really like to be able to lock up things like my toughbook, for instance...:( Not that I don't trust my "buddies", but I don't...sorry...:( )

Also, any chance from one base to another on a convoy to visit a buddy from another unit? They're going to be at a northern FOB and I'm going to be at one in the south.

Thanks for any insight here...

deadcat
07-13-2009, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to use your own ACOG, I used my own that wasn't even the same model that the Army uses on a LaRue mount and krylon'd it and I didn't even get looked at twice, but that is all CoC dependant. Get with your armorer and your PL, XO or CO and get their approval first.

As far as hitchin' a ride to a different FOB to go see a buddy, good luck. The only way I could see that happenin is if there is a convoy going from your company and they need some volunteers or something.

Have fun, hope I got all your Q's.

ryanusmc
07-14-2009, 11:45 AM
I like ACOGs but I would have a hard time dropping the money to buy one. The Corps seemed to be a bit more strict when it came to using personal gear. I got my a$$ chewed everytime my battalion comander saw me wearing my pistol belt on y-harness and alice pack instead of the pos molle gear.

Go ahead and try it. I would recomend a good larue qd mount so you don't have to turn it in to the armory and the poi stays the same. In the Corps there is a saying "there is only one thief in the MC, everyone else is just reclaiming lost gear." not something I would want to test with a 1200$ setup.

I wouldn't recomend trapsing off to see buddies. Focus on the mission.

25C
07-14-2009, 03:46 PM

Trapsing? I don't think I would characterize it as "trapsing", exactly. I meant, are there frequent convoys between FOBs? One of our potential missions is "convoy security", so chance are we are going to be on the road often anyway.

Anyway, I'll probably go ahead and get the ACOG. I was also told the QD is helpful in being able to use the optic to get a little better look quickly without having to point the weapon at someone (hearts/minds and all that...)...

BuckarooMedic
07-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Unless you're looking for a reason to purchase an ACOG, I wouldn't spend my own money on one. What if it breaks or gets "appropriated"? Then you're SOL. For what they cost you can get a nice Kifaru ruck, which will make your deployment a hellova lot nicer. When you get over "there" (where ever that may be), you'll probably be able to find an ACOG "laying around" (wink, wink).

Take care over there,

25C
07-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the reply there...I do have a Marauder, an X-Ray, and have a Scout on the way...so I'm pretty well covered there...(even though I may not get to use them due to our twitchy CoC...but I've heard a lot of the nonsensical crap eases up once you're in-country...have no idea how that will pan out for us specifically though...we were told "NO CIVILIAN PACKS AT ALL, WHATSOEVER) at PMT, so I had to start using the God-forsaken MOLLE ruck...I really could tell a huge difference between it and the Marauder though...Marauder was so much better...:( )

It would be nice to have the ACOG for my own M4 (semi-auto version) at home also...but I guess I don't "need" one...I really won't know if I need one until we find out what our mission is and that still has not come down yet. Would be good to know since we'll be leaving soon...

Thanks again for the replies!

straps
07-16-2009, 06:35 PM
ACOG is definitely an "investment" piece. BM's concerns are well-placed.

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, realize that you are LESS of an asset (AND MORE OF A DANGER) to yourself and your fellow Soldiers with an optic that you don't understand than you are with iron sights. Magnification (even 3x) complicates things even more. And the altitudes common in Afghanistan make for even more weirdness. LOTS of units rotate in after having dialed themselves in CONUS at sea level and presume they're GTG. FAIL. If you are in a better unit than this, and have the opportunity to read your optics' documentation, 3-22.9, and can reconcile the information there with the bizarre behavior you will witness at altitude while shooting up- and down-hill, and then shoot some more, you and your badass optic will save lives. If not, not so much. Optics/scopes don't simplify things, they complicate things.

Second, consider the measure of control you have over your immediate environment. If you have the "luxury" of keeping your weapon at arm's reach ALWAYS and ensuring that nobody stomps it (or even fingers it, for that matter) you might be GTG. Bear in mind that you will be in situations where everyone else is racking their long guns but you have to keep yours with you because you're concerned about the security of a high-value piece of personal property.

Get an easily removable mount (my preference is Larue). That way, you can pop it off if you have to check it in to an arms room or a facility that prohibits carry of long guns. The flip side? anyone can strip it off, so be careful about leaving your rifle in a rack at someplace like a fitness center or an MWR tent.

If you personally purchase an optic for use "on the job," make ABSOLUTELY sure you keep your receipts, and are ALWAYS able to produce them. Fascist Supply/S-4 types are known to "FOI ("Found on Installation")" stuff like that.

As others posted, get some buy-in from someone with some juice in the CoC. Might be your LT, might be an E-6 who has the confidence of the 1SG/PSG/CO, etc.

FWIW, I deployed with a high-zoot personally-purchased optic and found myself in ALL the situations above. Hard-learned lessons all. Hope this helps.

rob.balaguer
07-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Funny story- my buddy was feeling restless one day and popped into the pax terminal and turned in his ID for the first flight out to BAF. Platoon sgt thought he was lost or ran out into the countryside or got abducted or something. It took a week for someone to check flight manifests...

TheOtherDave
07-22-2009, 06:08 PM
I like ACOGs but I would have a hard time dropping the money to buy one. The Corps seemed to be a bit more strict when it came to using personal gear. I got my a$$ chewed everytime my battalion comander saw me wearing my pistol belt on y-harness and alice pack instead of the pos molle gear.

Go ahead and try it. I would recomend a good larue qd mount so you don't have to turn it in to the armory and the poi stays the same. In the Corps there is a saying "there is only one thief in the MC, everyone else is just reclaiming lost gear." not something I would want to test with a 1200$ setup.

I'd recommend getting a Larue or ARMS mount also. Folks seem to hold the Larue's in higher regard, but I haven't seen one.

The reason is that you will have to have a way to remove the scope from your weapon in the event that you have to turn it in/exchange it for whatever reason during your time over there. That leaves you two tool free options, the thumbscrew mount or a throw lever mount like the Larue's and ARMS. The problem with the thumbscrew mounts is that they don't hold zero at all unless you use a screwdriver to tighten them down..... HARD.

I've had 3 ACOG's now, and none held zero until I replaced the thumbscrew mounts or reefed down on them.