PDA

View Full Version : Probably old news but padding E&E

cjm0316
07-11-2009, 10:03 AM
I would have to guess all you RKIs have done this, but it is so slick I wanted to share. I have a couple of E&Es (yeah I know, can't help myself) and carry one as my briefcase. Had a wild hare idea of cutting a piece of an old closed cell Army sleeping pad as a pad in the back sleeve of the pack. Voila! Not only is it padded now, it stiffens up the pack so it will stand up on its own. That closed cell foam is cheap as water and available from the online auction place and elsewhere. Tried to take a cool picture, but it's not much to look at.

Anyway, thought I would share....Hope it's a help to someone.

one911emergency
07-11-2009, 12:46 PM
I know some guys do that but what I do is slide in a MPI All Weather space blanket.

http://www.basegear.com/mpiallweatbl.html

Yeah the closed cell foam probably has a little more rigidity but I think the MPI space blanket not only adds a bit of rigidity and shape to the E&E but it also has other uses. You can pitch it as a tarp shelter, use it as blanket or a cover for your sleeping bad or use as a ground cover in a floorless shelter. I guess you could use the closed cell foam pad as an insulated seat in the winter but I like the Space Blanket idea. It's worked well for me.

Just an idea.

Brotzie
07-12-2009, 02:09 AM
And just to cover off some of the other suggestions that have come up:

Flexible cutting board, cut to size (not so padded, but nice & rigid).
Clipboard (ditto).
I usually stow my hi-vis ambulance service jacket in there, folded to fill out the pocket - the badge panels give it some stiffness and the fabric helps to pad it.
But sometimes my ParaPoncho goes in there - many of the same uses as one911 describes.
Frequent travelers will also have noticed the slot pocket is just the right size to keep a magazine or folded newspaper handy...

All the best, Ian

duckear
07-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I know some guys do that but what I do is slide in a MPI All Weather space blanket.

http://www.basegear.com/mpiallweatbl.html

Yeah the closed cell foam probably has a little more rigidity but I think the MPI space blanket not only adds a bit of rigidity and shape to the E&E but it also has other uses. You can pitch it as a tarp shelter, use it as blanket or a cover for your sleeping bad or use as a ground cover in a floorless shelter. I guess you could use the closed cell foam pad as an insulated seat in the winter but I like the Space Blanket idea. It's worked well for me.

Just an idea.

That is what I use in my TG1.

Works perfectly.

one911emergency
07-13-2009, 04:22 PM
That's cool. I want a TG1!! It's basically the most bad*** butt pack in the world. So many packs, so little money. Is it alright to cry on the Kifaru forums?

snakeeater x
07-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Good ideas... another one that I've been using is a folded SAM splint. It gives the E+E padding and stiffness, while offering a secondary use.