PDA

View Full Version : Weight on AG pack

Kalidas
07-08-2009, 08:57 AM
I am curious as to what it is in the AG that make them heavier than the other duplex packs. The AG1 is only 4oz lighter than an EMR and the AG2 is over a pound heavier. I would think that they would weigh less that the EMR due to the slightly shorter frame. Looking at the pictures of the AG system I don't see anything that stands out to say that they should weight that much more than the others.

steveb
07-08-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm not sure, but I think it's the armor-grip frame (not the AG bags) that add weight.

Kalidas
07-08-2009, 09:10 AM
I would assume that it is the frame as well, but looking at the pictures I could not see a large difference in the frames. At least nothing that said it should weigh 1.5-2 lbs more than the standard duplex frame.

straps
07-08-2009, 10:08 AM
There COULD be a weight difference between the G1 and G2 Duplex line that hasn't been reflected on the web pages yet--The designs of the G2 bag and hauler have been improved (for instance, to allow removing a full bag from its Hauler so that you can cache the bag and use the frame for portage). Pure speculation...

Also, the retractable padding on the "face" of the AG Hauler (the stuff that you roll off to the side to cradle the SAPI plates) seemed more like the ballistic foam found in some automotive and aviation applications--heavier due to its shock absorbency and durability.

Steel314
07-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Another observation on the AG bags. On the AG1 Navigator equivalent there is no PALS webbing on the inside back of the bag (part closest to your back) like there is on the regular Navigator... at least not in the pictures.

Mel
07-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Hey guys, this thread reminded me about addressing this weight issue, something I had planned on, but just got caught up on other projects. I will post up all the weights of the Duplex frames and packs at the end of this post. The weights were all taken on a USPS scale yesterday.

I know there has been some confusion over the various weights posted, either on the website or the message board. I want to try and explain how this has happened. When we were working on the whole G2 program, there was so much going on at the same time. First, there was the designing and testing of the complete line, getting the sewers up to speed on all the changes, pricing, and building a whole new website. I'm not trying to make any excuses, but up to, during, and after the G2 launch, things have been hectic to say the least! On the AG frames and packs, individual components were weighed as soon as they became available from the sewers, and then all the weights were added up from the list, which did leave room for error. Also, on the G2 EMR/MMR packs, we were trying to get weights up on the website, but didn't have complete G2 versions at the time. We assumed that removing most of the Hypalon at the top of the bag, and the Drilex frame cover on the front of the bag (G1) was a wash with the added components and weight from the G2 changes (over the top compression strap, all the extra attachment points on the frame, thicker lumbar pad, Packlock material on lumbar pad, snow collar extension on MMR, etc.). That was a mistake on our part, as the new weights will show. Hopefully, you guys will cut us a little slack on this, but we were off on the weights. Here are the actual weights:

-EMR 9lbs 6oz
-MMR 9lbs 1oz
-AG1 8lbs 2oz
-AG2 9lbs 7oz
-AG Hauler 6lbs 4oz
-EMR Hauler 6lbs 3oz
-MMR Hauler 6lbs 1oz
-AG Platform Frame 4lbs 10oz
-EMR Platform Frame 4lbs 9oz
-MMR Platform Frame 4lbs 7oz

As you can see from the weights above, everthing now makes more sense, and kinda falls into place. Hope this helps.

Mel

steveb
07-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks Mel. Makes sense, as the DSS hunting packs gained about a pound also. So, about a pound more than G1. But a 9 pound pack made out of 1000D Cordura, with all that PALS, and built in freighter capability, ain't bad at all especially for the higher capacity bags (AG2 and EMR).

Given that quality 'civilian' expedition backpacks (arcteryx, gregory, osprey) in 6000 to 7000 ci capacity range weigh about 6 to 8 pounds, a couple of pounds is a small price, considering all the features Kifaru has (the Mystery Ranch Grizzly and Kodiak packs weigh about 9 lbs also, without freighter capability). IMO, if you are already humpin' more than 50#, the pack features/comfort 'outweigh' pack weight.