PDA

View Full Version : Bring me back to the fold

chappy
07-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Haven't posted in a while. First time I posted was looking at mystery ranch and kifaru to upgrade my pack arsenal - still am. To that end, I got a woobie and a stuff sack from kifaru and some load cells from mystery ranch to test things out before I spent mucho bucks on a pack.

Well, after a field test of sorts (ok family vacation to Yellowstone) I am heavily leaning towards the mystery ranch stuff*. I got there version of a long pocket when I got back and attached it to my current assault pack (Spec-ops brand The PACK).

So, still don't want to give up on the kifaru. What would be a good, inexpensive (ie less than $100) external pouch to get a good feel for what kifaru can do well.

*Like the woobie. The stuff sack was what I was a little dissappointed in. The concept seemed good but the execution seemed fiddly to me. I used it for my fleece and was hoping that it would work well for that purpose. The strings etc were hard to get done in a hurry and caught things easily.

JasonB
07-07-2009, 08:17 PM
2X D&L Long Pockets are probably the handiest set up, but one D&L Claymore would give you the basic feel.

Doug Fir
07-07-2009, 10:58 PM
You can purchase whatever Kifaru pocket you like and get a feel for the materials and workmanship. However, this will not give you any indication of the difference between the packs. I owned a MR Crew Cab with every bell and whistle they make for it. There is nothing wrong with their materials or workmanship; in fact, they are quite good. There is a huge difference in their design that affects how they carry. (Incidently, I gave the MR to my son and replaced it with several Kifaru packs and I am really happy that I did.)

INMHO, there is no comparison between the two products. The Kifaru carries the load solidly on your hips. The MR puts the weight on your shoulders. Now in all fairness, I have little to no butt. I tightened the hipbelt on the MR to the point I looked like Mr. Bill on SNL....Oh no Mr. Bill, and yet, the pack would still slip down over time and put most of the load on my shoulders. That is just not comfortable. For me, it's downright uncomfortable.

The Kifaru hipbelt desugn is light years ahead of everyone else. The design does what Kifaru's ad says it will do. It wraps your hipbones comfortably. For me, this translates to a rock solid ride that does not slip down. That is the difference to me.

I would strongly suggest that you find somebody with a Kifaru pack in your area or if feasible, make a trip to the factory to try one on. Put some weight in it and walk around for half an hour. Many folks can tell you about a great product but the best way to make up your mind is to try it yourself. It will be worth your time. Good luck!

straps
07-08-2009, 02:07 AM
E&E, maybe with a set of Omni straps. Organizer and a couple Skinny Mini Longs on the sides.

G2 Claymore (after seeing them at the demo my wife is telling me to order one for her to use as a purse). Nobody else makes stuff like this.

If you will be wearing armor the AG system is without peer. Get an AG bag for long moves, remove the bag and lash whatever combo of E&E, Longs and Pods you need for short-duration ops to the surprisingly lithe AG Hauler, which is easily removed from the bag.

Mel
07-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Hey Chappy, all the previous posters have given good advice, and some insight to Kifaru gear in general. If you want to keep your purchase to $100.00, then I would definately recommend our E&E Back Pouch. Not only can it be used as an accessory pocket on your pack, but it is a small pack on it's own.

In regards to your Kifaru stuff sack, personally I would not use a stuff sack for a fleece jacket. The stuff sack really works best for gear with down or synthetic insulation. There is a pocket on the stuff sack for storing all the loose cords after cinching, where they cannot get caught on anything.

It sounds like you probably aren't able to go to Kifaru or Mystery Ranch in person to try out the gear. I'm not sure about Mystery Ranch's policy, but Kifaru offers a 100% money back guarantee, with no restocking charge, if you are not completely satisfied with your purchase. If you purchase a pack, load it up and carry it around your house, or your block, and see how it works for you. As long as you don't take it to the field, and keep it in new condition, you may return it for a full refund. We offer this guarantee because we know that our customers cannot go to their local outdoor store and try on a Kifaru pack. So Chappy, you really can't lose by purchasing one of our packs. Hope all this helps.

Mel

Lab-Roamer
07-08-2009, 07:48 PM
For $100, buy an E&E. This was my first Kifaru purchase. I got mine off the trading post. Now I bought a Scout W/ Stash-it and Nalgene pouch and plan on adding a MMR. What I like about Kifaru besides the great workmanship and customer service is everything is designed to work together as you may know already. I have to be honest though, the crew cab from MR did catch my eye, but I went w/ Kifaru knowing I can Piggyback my Scout to my Future MMR and interchange pockets.

Just my 1 cent, the govt taxed the other one.