PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Northwest Summer Rondy - 2009

Bushcraft
07-06-2009, 12:37 PM
If you have not already marked your calendars and made travel arrangements for July 23 - 26th, do so now!!!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/2009%20NW%20Rondy/NWRondy2009RainyRhinoLightning.png

This fun backcountry rendezvous is a great way to put faces with names, catch up with old friends, make new friends, personally review some of the best gear and ideas available from a wide variety of manufacturers under real-world conditions, pick Patrick's and others' brains and obtain some ideas from others that might ultimately help make your hunting and fishing trips into the far reaches of the backcountry more enjoyable and more productive.

This is a family friendly outing and all are welcome and encouraged to join this casual gathering regardless of skill or experience level. Typically, people arrive and car camp at the trailhead on Thursday night and then head in sometime on Friday whenever the mood strikes them. Shooting is not the main focus, but I'm quite certain that there will be a fair amount of plinking going on safe distances away from the main camps. I will be bringing some steel plates and a shooting tree. Potluck offerings are welcome and appreciated - especially if they are in the form of carefully seasoned and expertly prepared yearling whitetail backstrap.

In short, it's a truly outstanding way to enjoy a relaxing summertime weekend in the backcountry.

The rondy will be held at the same location as last year in the William O. Douglas wilderness area west of Yakima, WA. The hike in is an easy 4.5 miler with very little elevation gain. The route is such that bicycling is possible.

If you plan on attending, please register with bushcraft@comcast.net, providing me with the following information: your name, your phone number and how many folks will be attending with you. I will be e-mailing you instructions on how to get to the Rendezvous location and general information about what to bring a couple days prior to the event. To summarize, you should plan on being self-sufficient: food, water filtration, in-the-field toiletries, bedding, clothing, shelter, etc.

If you have any questions in the meantime, I'm certain that my fellow Kifaru Rondy Veterans will be happy to help address them.

Note: Only those that have registered to attend will be sent the exact location and directions to the rondy.

SuperBadger
07-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Looking forward to seeing everyone! Last years location was excellent.

evanhill
07-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Here is a picture from last year's NW Rondy taken by SuperBadger. I think it perfectly evokes the camraderie of a Kifaru Rendezvous. The family and I are looking forward to it!

http://www.evanhill.org/images/Tipi_Night.jpg

JBR
07-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Well it's looking like I should be able to make it this year. In fact, I'm planning on bringing one or more of my 3 boys and I'm currently working on convincing my wife to take the leap also. Since I didn't make it to the last year's, I had a couple questions...

- is there decent fishing nearby?? (if Bushcraft planned this, I'm SURE there must be)
- didn't someone ride a bike in last year? Scott and/or Evan, was that you guys?

What kind of trailer rig do you guys use for pulling with the bike? I may try to come up with something, but I'm curious as to what others have done.

Other than that, I'll send ya PM Bushcraft to put my name in.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

SuperBadger
07-06-2009, 11:47 PM
There is a lake that's not too far away, something like 1200' of elevation gain or something? Anyhow, I made it up there so pretty much anyone that can walk should be able to.

I also caught a couple fish, so again, I'm sure anyone can!

As for the trailers, Evan, Scot and myself bike packed in using BOB trailers. Well, Evan and Scot used BOB trailers and I used a backpack/pannier bag combo. The trailer is a far superior setup but the backpack/pannier combo was an alright way to try out the whole "bike packing" thing, and you could set yourself up with those for less money than a BOB trailer. The ride is really easy on a gravel road the whole way. There are a few washout's that you have to walk across, but the grade isn't a killer....unless you're carrying 100 pounds of .45 ACP and beer in your trailer like Scot.

Bushcraft
07-07-2009, 08:16 AM
That's great news JBR, I know you were feeling down about missing another NW Rondy. Being able to bring your boys is just icing on the cake.

SuperBadger is right. There are several lakes that hold trout and also a fishable stream that are not too far away if you are willing to gain about 1,200' over 2.5 miles. Two would involve a trail, the others would involve some trivial bushwacking...which is where I'll be heading a time or two. Heck, we could make a 10 mile fun run alpine loop out of it and hit 7 lakes and one stream on Saturday morning if anyone is interested.

evanhill
07-07-2009, 10:54 AM
JBR, one of the trailers we use is a kid carrier trailer bought at a garage sale for $20. Last year it hauled 2 kids and some gear. This year it will be hauling 1 kid and gear as the older 2 are now both bicyclers. It works just fine. Not as nice as the BOB, particularly on singletrack, but probably the least expensive way to turn a bicycle into a serious cargo animal. In the Seattle area you should be able to come up with something like that pretty easily.

JBR
07-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Heck, we could make a 10 mile fun run alpine loop out of it and hit 7 lakes and one stream on Saturday morning if anyone is interested.

"The Bushcraft Fun Run"....you kill me. Alright, we'll I'll see what works for the trailer thing and maybe we'll get to a fish'in hole or two while we're there. I wouldn't count me in for any 10 MILER though...:)

medic16
07-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I really want to attend but have my annual training for NG starting on the morning of the 24th. I am thinking about coming up for the day on the 23rd but was wondering how many people would be up there that day? I really want to see a Kifaru Tipi and regulator sleeping bag in person before I buy one and I was hoping someone would have them there. Thanks for the help.

Bushcraft
07-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Darn. I was hoping you could make it up for the weekend. I think you would be driving a lot of miles just to do a U-turn and do the same to get back in time for your NG stuff.

Patrick and I will be pulling in sometime after 3:30PM on Thursday, assuming his plane touches down around noonish.

As a reminder, please send me an email at bushcraft@comcast.net if you plan on making it to the rondy. So far I've got 18 adults, 6 kiddos and a menagerie of dogs registered thus far. I know of another 8 or so that are trying to get hall passes.

medic16
07-08-2009, 10:11 AM
My armory is about 2 hours away from Yakima so not too bad of a drive. Would be worth the trip to see some Kifaru stuff.

Bushcraft - sent email

snakey2
07-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Medic 16 I plan on being at the "trailhead" camp sometime on Thurs. mid afternoon.

hansford
07-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Very regrettably, I have to back out. The house renovations have gone into overtime, the clock is ticking on having to vacate the current rental, and the last weekend we can make the move is...you guessed it, the 25th and 26th. So sorry I can't make it to this one.

Hansford

Bushcraft
07-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Bump to top. Please e-mail me if you would like to register.

Thank you.

Allen

P.S. - Sorry to hear you won't be making it Hansford. I imagine we'll shake hands sooner or later.

snakey2
07-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Do we have any sort of a head count yet?

Bushcraft
07-17-2009, 04:26 PM

Tentative: Adults - 7, Kiddos - 3, Dogs - 2, Mules - 2, Pack Goats - 4

More are trickling in. I'm going to make an announcement on 24Hr. Campfire and BackcountryHunting.net.

Allen

Randy
07-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Allen,

I posted a link to your original invite page on BackcountryHunting when you first posted. Maybe a little reminder will encourage a few more NW folks to come join in.

Bushcraft
07-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Done! Thanks!

Kevin B
07-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Just in time. Not as much as I'd liked to have done, but it'll do.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d170/kevbla/Iphone7-09009.jpg?t=1248049377

SuperBadger
07-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Just in time.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d170/kevbla/Iphone7-09009.jpg?t=1248049377

Looks excellent!

Sounds like we've got quite a group, I am looking forward to it!

SuperBadger
07-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Just got a call today to work on "Leverage" Thursday, so I'll probably be at the trailhead on Friday morning.

http://www.tnt.tv/series/leverage/

Bushcraft
07-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Good grief Kevin, was your intention to make enough for everyone, for every meal?

Kevin B
07-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Looks are deceiving. It's about the same amount as years past. 30-40 links give or take.

BTW, what's the attendee inventory looking like?

JBR
07-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Well you can add "Officially Registered" to the whole clan this year. Me, my wife and our 3 boys (12, 10 and 8 yrs old) will be making the trek to the Rondy. We will be arriving on Thursday (my oldest son's 12th birthday!) This will be the first ever overnight backpacking trip for my wife and kids, so we've had to do a little "shopping"....(read: Ouch).

The tough part for the kids is trying to decide between carrying their guns, bows, or flyrods. The tough part for my wife is trying to figure out how to carry in "normal food" without having to endure too much "MH". Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Randy
07-21-2009, 06:35 AM
JBR,

Awesome! Your family will have a great time at this location. We have quite a bit of extra 'camping stuff' if you need anything to further outfit the crew. Let me know, and we'll toss it in the gear pile. We'll be arriving sometime Thursday night.

Kevin, good looking eats!

evanhill
07-21-2009, 10:44 AM
JBR, I'm planning on making at least one extra trailer trip, and Allen probably is too. I know it is a big chore to get a whole family packed in, so my priority for additional items is those packing families in like yourself and Kevin B (Allen, that means bottled beer and ammo comes *after* :) ). We can coordinate at trailhead, but keep in mind you've got the option.

Bushcraft
07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
JBR,

Did your wife pick up a pack or does she still need to borrow Christina's multi-day Arcteryx pack? If it works out that she's able to come on Thursday, I think she'll probably ride in with my Spike Camp and maybe some saddle bags since she has to leave on Saturday.

Evan,

Do you mean to say that I should leave 100 lbs of ammo and assorted weaponry unprotected at the trailhead??? Ba!

The location and directions are going out later this morning to everyone that registered. Shoot me an e-mail now if you would like to attend but have not yet registered. Thank you.

Allen

snakey2
07-21-2009, 12:32 PM
SuperBadger congrats on "Leverage" that is big time!

scothill
07-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I plan on helping out with common gear, except Allen's guns and ammo load that is all him this year, I think we need to figure out thursday what we have so we know what we are talking about. I agree with Evan, family gear and common food items are the priority.

Bushcraft
07-21-2009, 01:15 PM
I just sent out the location and directions to everyone that registered. If you have registered and have not received the information, let me know ASAP.

Also, if you are riding the fence...get off it, register and come join us!

Randy
07-21-2009, 01:36 PM
I'll pack all my own ammo...if I can get an extra helping of those sausage links:)

I think we're pretty self sufficient, albiet, no lightweight affair going in.

I believe my brother, MikeB is going to bring his bike and trailer as well to transport some group gear in.

TwoRavens
07-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Bugger. I will definitely have to work this weekend.:(

Have fun y'all! <-- working on my new accent.:p

SuperBadger
07-21-2009, 05:25 PM
I'll have my bike and trailer there on Friday morning to help haul group gear/food.

David in OR
07-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Of course work ramps up just in time to prevent my attending...

JBR
07-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Scott & Evan and others with trailers - thanks for the offer of helping with family gear. I'm used to planning for myself, but it's a new deal trying to cover all the bases with my wife and kids as well. Food has been the big issue as weight and space limit us, so we'll try to figure out the menu and bring what we think we need and see what works.

Bushcraft - yes, Rebecca would like to borrow Christina's pack if she could. Thank you - we will be coming over Thurs afternoon sometime.

Randy - thanks for the offer of other gear. I THINK we seem to have most of what we need. If I think of something today while packing, I'll try to let ya know.

Kevin B
07-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Like a good scout Jim, be prepared. However, I wouldn't worry too much about how close to "enough" your rations appear when packed. There's not likely to be a shortage of food in this camp. Make sure your peeps are comfortable and between the generous offers of the Hills and MikeB enough to eat, and then some, will get to camp.

Bushcraft
07-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Bump to top...

If you have not registered, you have until 9:00AM Thursday morning to do so with me at bushcraft@comcast.net.

See ya there tomorrow!

Safe travels,

Allen

Bushcraft
07-22-2009, 10:21 PM
P.S. - If you have .22LR rifles and pistols...bring 'em. The shooting tree and plates I'm bringing can set up for both .22LR and heavier 9mm/.40S&W/.45ACP.

Nice to do transition drills with cheap ammo. ;)

Fun! Fun! Fun!

Wonder Mutt
07-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Thank you guys for the great time at last Summer's Rondy, Caitlin and I regrettably could not attend this time.