PDA

View Full Version : Question: Attaching Hybrid Long Pocket to Mollex

Bullfrog
06-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi Guys, quick question for those of you that use hybrid long pockets on your mollex - when you attach them via the malice clips, where are you attaching the female D&L buckles?

Are you attaching them to the mollex's molle (see top buckle in pic)? Or,

Are you attaching them to the loop on the side of long pocket itself (see bottom buckle)? Are the Malice clips strong enough to hold it this way?

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/harry1922/photo-1.jpg

Just curious and want to make sure I am not overlooking something...?

I prefer the latter (seems to work better on the sides closer to the shoulder straps as there isn't too much molle there) but, I want to make sure that this will ride OK long-term if its not secured to the molle....

Thanks in advance for your help - greatly appreciated.

straps
06-29-2009, 09:58 AM
The MALICE Clips are strong enough to hold anything a Long Pocket can carry, to include things like machine gun tripods and spare barrels (as long as the MALICE Clips are properly woven).

I use the loops on the pouch itself, which allows a good cinch on the Long Pocket without distorting the pack (which will do no harm, but could make the zippers more difficult to manipulate).

ETA: Looks like there are statements in other threads to the effect that the MOLLEx isn't deep enough for a Hybrid Long. (Maybe at the top?). I think I've done this before... but then, I wouldn't use Kifaru gear if I was the type to color within the lines...

DavidLewis
06-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Bullfrog--

Straps noted:

The MALICE Clips are strong enough to hold anything a Long Pocket can carry, to include things like machine gun tripods and spare barrels (as long as the MALICE Clips are properly woven).

From your photos, it does not appear that your MALICE clips are properly woven...more like just looped through in a couple of places. They're designed to be interwoven between the pocket & the pack, creating a strong, supported attachment.

It takes a bit of work (I still have to re-weave them, occasionally, when I don't get them right at first), but it's rock-solid when done right!

Regards,

David

Bullfrog
06-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi straps, thanks for the info and if it works for you... good enough for me.

Hmmm... not sure what the other thread was talking about but, the pack certainly seems deep enough to me for my hybrid long pockets...

@ DavidLewis - we posted at the same time. Thank you for confirming and the added info on the importance of weaving - I did a quick google and mine were not attached in the proper way - fixed them and now they seem more solidly in place and look like they are going nowhere!

I'm really in heaven with this setup - it just SWALLOWS my gear. In the middle of the pack I added two 2 quart pockets on top of each other - really digging it. I'll get some pics up later.

Thanks again guys!

rhunter424
06-29-2009, 04:01 PM

ETA: Looks like there are statements in other threads to the effect that the MOLLEx isn't deep enough for a Hybrid Long. (Maybe at the top?). I think I've done this before... but then, I wouldn't use Kifaru gear if I was the type to color within the lines...

I don't see how a long pocket couldn't fit on the side of an express/mollex. I regularly mount D&L and malice long pockets on the sides of my mollex, with an organizer on the middle front. And isn't the mollex the exact same dimensions as the express? The tabs on the express were meant for LP's on the sides https://www.kifaru.net/images/melEXP1.jpg